Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:47:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Amusing Wikipedia Stuff [split topic]

Started by dr_christian_troy, July 25, 2010, 11:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajsmith2

Quote from: madhair60 on January 21, 2019, 02:46:43 PM
The last page of the final Buster is a tour-de-force.

Thank you. this is the first time I've seen a good quality scan of this. I like the darkness of the ending to Melvyn's Mirror in particular. Brutally Twilight Zone esque!

Crazy cartooning genius J Edward Oliver (who knew NoSleep of this forum) going above and beyond the call of duty on no pay to give all the Buster characters a decent send off in a final issue that otherwise consisted of soulless reprinted material. Amazing guy, his website is well worth spending a day on.

http://www.jeoliver.co.uk/

phantom_power

What does rhyme with oblige? Or is that the joke?

ajsmith2

Quote from: phantom_power on January 21, 2019, 03:37:56 PM
What does rhyme with oblige? Or is that the joke?

That's the joke. Watford Gapp ('He's King Of The Rap') was the Buster's early 90s attempt at creating an urban character who narrated his adventures entirely in hip hoppin rhyme*. The gag in the final appearance there is that he was finally stumped for a way to end one of his couplets as there is (for the purposes of the joke anyway, I'm sure someone will be able to find one) no rhyme for oblige.

*despite how Poochie esque and 'hello fellow kids' I've made this sound, the strip was actually pretty good as far as I recall. The raps had genuine wit and the whole thing was drawn in a very bold and funky style by cartoonin genius Tom Paterson (who works for Viz these days).

phantom_power

Quote from: ajsmith2 on January 21, 2019, 03:48:03 PM
That's the joke. Watford Gapp ('He's King Of The Rap') was the Buster's early 90s attempt at creating an urban character who narrated his adventures entirely in hip hoppin rhyme*. The gag in the final appearance there is that he was finally stumped for a way to end one of his couplets as there is (for the purposes of the joke anyway, I'm sure someone will be able to find one) no rhyme for oblige.

I thought it might be that, or a rude word and I couldn't think of one of those

popcorn

Wikipedia explains corroborating evidence:

QuoteIf one person says, "this is what I intended by the action I took," and his friend agrees that his actions could have looked like what their friend intended. Then it can be generally agreed that is what happened.

If one person says, "this is what I meant by what I said," and his friend agrees that was their understanding of what was meant by their friend. Then it can be generally agreed that is what was meant.

Think of this like backing up your mate in the playground no matter what they did or said.

DrGreggles

From the entry for 'Miscellaneous T' (a They Might Be Giants compilation from 1991).

"'The World's Address (Joshua Fried Remix)' appears to contain a sample of 'Convoy' by C.W. McCall, but doesn't."

popcorn

From the article on he Michael Jackson album Bad:

QuoteThe lyrics to "Speed Demon" are about driving fast.

"Driving fast" helpfully links to the article on speeding.

Bad Ambassador

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mr._Bean_(animated_TV_series)_episodes#Season_5_(2019)

The state of these episode synopses.

QuoteMr. Bean eat cake (Mr. Bean of Eye Hypnosis Young Bean away). Teddy and Young Bean to wardrobe take a Bra Mrs. Wicket it up stair only be door.

They get more bizarre as they go on, appearing to turn into Dragonball Z, while several episodes have dozens of writers.

Ferris

From the article on Abu Hamza

"In U.S. confinement, his hook devices were confiscated and replaced with a prosthetic spork."

Grim, but funny.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Hamza_al-Masri

billyandthecloneasaurus

Just stumbled across the biggest "style of play" section for a footballer I've ever seen.  Unlikely candidate.

ToneLa

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Pop_in_an_Oak

QuoteIt is essentially a nonsensical song that relies on a catchy beat and the band's trademark blend of Eurodance and country to carry it; melodically and stylewise it is extremely similar to the earlier single "Cotton Eye Joe", however, the central theme seems to be that the father (Pop) climbed up an oak tree to get away from his wife whose pet skunk he cooked on a grill.

marquis_de_sad

And from there to the Rednex page:

QuoteControversy
Trademark dispute

After leaving the official band in 2009, Ljungberg, Lundström and Sylsjö continued to tour as "The Cotton Eye Joe Show presented by the Rednex Band Ltd", causing trademark owners Rednex AB to threaten them and concert organizers with legal action,[33] and resulting in the cancellation of some shows.[34] Ljungberg claimed the rights to the Internet domain name rednex.se, leading Rednex AB to accuse her of "spreading economical damage, lies, ulcer and insomnia like a plague not only within the Rednex group but also other parts of Swedish show business".[35]

momatt

That's mad.  Surely there aren't enough people in the world who give a fuck about the Rednex to warrant any argument at all?!

DrGreggles

momatt

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 27, 2019, 11:13:16 AM
David van Day's Rednex?
That's the only way they could be any less appealing.

ToneLa

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on February 26, 2019, 06:18:56 PM
And from there to the Rednex page:

Haha. I've had a good Wikipedia sesh just poring over the sheer bizarre fractured history, legal wrangling and revolving-door membership of this titan of modern music, Rednex

Listen to them as you read and it makes it utterly surreal. All that fuss over... This?

a duncandisorderly

in the Mtv transmission suite where we had to endure this shit being endlessly playlisted for some reason, we used to join in, listlessly, "where did you come from WHY DON'T YOU GO?"

ToneLa

I love that the article on Krang from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has a section for Krang's abilities and it says This section does not cite any sources.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: ToneLa on March 08, 2019, 03:09:54 AM
I love that the article on Krang from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has a section for Krang's abilities and it says This section does not cite any sources.

Ha, that's great

St_Eddie

Quote from: ToneLa on March 08, 2019, 03:09:54 AM

Oh, that Krang.  Editing his own Wikipedia entry to big himself up.  What is he like?

marquis_de_sad

Wikipedia had to ban all IPs from Dimension X after he kept adding flattering content to his bio and started a massive edit war on the article for Biker Mice From Mars.

St_Eddie

Krang is notorious for being absolutely shameless in his ego-inflating dishonesty.  Imagine seeing this on Tinder and swiping right...

Only to turn up for the date and being confronted by this...

ToneLa

A small one, was watching Peaky Blinders drunk and ended up on the wiki page for the Irish lass, Annabelle Wallis.

Her Personal Life consists of:
QuoteShe speaks fluent English and Portuguese. Wallis also speaks some French and Spanish.[citation needed]

Perhaps Ms Wallis herself got self-conscious aboot her lack of personal life, and sought to slide in her pidgin Spanish to pad it oot a bit.

We've all been there, love. And then, inevitably, an industrious wiki editor pulls her the fuck up on this wild boast

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: ToneLa on March 17, 2019, 11:06:21 AM
QuoteShe speaks fluent English and Portuguese. Wallis also speaks some French and Spanish.

This could be rephrased as: "She speaks Portuguese, therefore she speaks some French and Spanish."

popcorn

Snickers Oats

In early 2018, a new delicious mixture of oats and peanuts combined with Snicker's classic nougat was launched. Today, it can be bought in the Philippines and Malaysia. A single serving of 40 grams, containing peanuts, chewy caramel, a decadent slab of nougat, and oats, provides one a supple 180 calories. The advertising theme behind this novel product (brainchild of Terry Seremtis, general manager of Mars Developing Asia) was to provide consumers with a quick snack to chew on between meals, during long commutes, drives and at work. This way, people could save an invaluable amount of time, positively impacting one's emotions. Fans are known to journey all the way from Singapore just to get a taste of this beguiling choc. "I always love Snickers ever since my studies years (which is quite a long time ago). Always have them prepared in my bags or in office." - Najattul (TANJONG RAMBUTAN)

marquis_de_sad

"classic nougat"
"beguiling choc"
"a supple 180 calories"

I want to hear Alan Partridge say these words.

Ferris

Not really "amusing" per se...

After partially-decayed body parts are found in common ground near a man's house in 1983, police confront and charge him with the murder of his wife from the 1960s, a crime that previously went unpunished. The man breaks down and admits it, describing the act and motive, steps taken to hide the evidence, and location of the body (which tie with the evidence found). Signed confession provided, new court date set.

...until someone carbon dates the corpse and finds it is over 1,800 years old, and probably the bog-remains of an Iron Age ritual sacrifice by the local Germano-Celtic tribe, before the Romans turfed them out.

Yer man tries to rescind his confession, but too late! Judge sends him to chokey for the crime anyway based on his confession. Justice served (sort of).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindow_Woman

Ferris

And from the article on the nearby Lindow Man

QuoteOn 1 August 1984, Andy Mould, who had been involved in the discovery of Lindow Woman, took what he thought was a piece of wood off the elevator of the peat-shredding machine.[10] He threw the object at Eddie Slack, his workmate. When it hit the ground, peat fell off the object and revealed it to be a human foot.

Bog bodies are morbidly fascinating. There's fucking loads of them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindow_Man