Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:01:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Amusing Wikipedia Stuff [split topic]

Started by dr_christian_troy, July 25, 2010, 11:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 24, 2019, 01:54:11 AM
Bog bodies are morbidly fascinating. There's fucking loads of them.

Ok last post from me on this, sorry for spamming, but this is a real thing and I think it is interesting. At least the first 2 of my posts were sort of amusing so I reckon I'm still (kind of) on topic.

The hairstyle was documented by General Tacitus when recording the Roman invasion of Germany, and is depicted in bronze age statues of the Suebian tribes that this chap was probably part of.

And here it is in actual real life. It's like a time machine.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osterby_Man

St_Eddie

Ferris

Someone with a physics degree going wild on the article for Bird's Custard Powder

QuoteThough cooked custard is a weak gel, viscous and thixotropic, a suspension of uncooked custard powder (starch) in water, with the proper proportions, has the opposite rheological property: it is negative thixotropic, or dilatant, which is to say that it becomes more viscous when under pressure. This suspension is termed oobleck and often used in science demonstrations of non-Newtonian fluids.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird%27s_Custard

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 24, 2019, 01:49:07 AM
Not really "amusing" per se...

After partially-decayed body parts are found in common ground near a man's house in 1983, police confront and charge him with the murder of his wife from the 1960s, a crime that previously went unpunished. The man breaks down and admits it, describing the act and motive, steps taken to hide the evidence, and location of the body (which tie with the evidence found). Signed confession provided, new court date set.

...until someone carbon dates the corpse and finds it is over 1,800 years old, and probably the bog-remains of an Iron Age ritual sacrifice by the local Germano-Celtic tribe, before the Romans turfed them out.

Yer man tries to rescind his confession, but too late! Judge sends him to chokey for the crime anyway based on his confession. Justice served (sort of).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindow_Woman

That's amazing, thanks for sharing.

Andy147

Quote from: ajsmith2 on January 21, 2019, 03:48:03 PM
That's the joke. Watford Gapp ('He's King Of The Rap') was the Buster's early 90s attempt at creating an urban character who narrated his adventures entirely in hip hoppin rhyme*. The gag in the final appearance there is that he was finally stumped for a way to end one of his couplets as there is (for the purposes of the joke anyway, I'm sure someone will be able to find one) no rhyme for oblige.

"She said, 'Sorry, I've already spent it on an album by Mary J Blige'"?

The "plot summary" for this Enid Blyton book was presumably written by a small overenthusiastic child. At least, I hope it was.

QDRPHNC

kalowski

Oops I did it again video

QuoteDuring its bridge, Spears does a flip in the air to where the astronaut is and appears in a white jacket, short black leather skirt, and leather boots. As a symbol of his love for her, the astronaut gifts Spears with the Heart of the Ocean, the blue diamond from the blockbuster film Titanic (1997). She questions that she "thought the old lady [Rose] dropped it into the ocean in the end", to which he responds, "Well, baby, I went down and got it for you". Spears comments "Oh, you shouldn't have" and walks away, the astronaut shrugs and leaves. The video concludes as Spears and her performers continue to dance.[

St_Eddie

Quote from: kalowski on March 31, 2019, 07:58:07 PM
Oops I did it again video

QuoteDuring its bridge, Spears does a flip in the air to where the astronaut is and appears in a white jacket, short black leather skirt, and leather boots. As a symbol of his love for her, the astronaut gifts Spears with the Heart of the Ocean, the blue diamond from the blockbuster film Titanic (1997). She questions that she "thought the old lady [Rose] dropped it into the ocean in the end", to which he responds, "Well, baby, I went down and got it for you". Spears comments "Oh, you shouldn't have" and walks away, the astronaut shrugs and leaves. The video concludes as Spears and her performers continue to dance.[

I thought that must surely be bollocks but no, here's the moment in question.

machotrouts

Having spent most of my teens on the Popjustice forum before migrating to here, it's so weird for me to think that normal people don't necessarily even know about the Oops!...I Did It Again middle 8, let alone acknowledge it as a historical milestone of great significance

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Rachel Stevens
The owner of cake manufacturing company Mr Kipling was present at the Sheffield date of the S Club 7 reunion tour, and was impressed by Stevens' vocal tone. He stated that the "sweet, but decadent" tone of her voice was highly compatible with the ethos of Mr Kipling products, so offered Stevens the role of voiceover in their new commercial for Avocado and Coriander savoury tarts. Stevens also proposed the idea for a "special cutter" that would help slice cakes quicker, but executives at Mr Kipling thought this too radical an idea for the gateau industry, and did not renew their contact with her.

JamesTC

QuoteIn 2003, an Irn-Bru commercial which showed a midwife trying to entice a baby from its mother's womb during a difficult delivery sparked fifty complaints. Some saw it as upsetting to women who had suffered miscarriages.

One billboard that drew criticism featured a young woman in a bikini along with the slogan "Diet Irn-Bru. I never knew 4 1⁄2 inches [11 cm] could give so much pleasure". Another featured a picture of a cow with the slogan "When I'm a burger, I want to be washed down with Irn-Bru". This billboard resulted in over 700 complaints but was cleared by advertisement watchdogs. A billboard which featured a depressed goth and the slogan "Cheer up Goth. Have an Irn Bru." was also criticised for inciting bullying.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irn-Bru

One of the news stories linked to on that page leads to this quote regarding the bikini advert:

QuoteBefore, I have laughed at many Irn Bru adverts but the connotations of this one are in very bad taste.

hillbillyholiday

The funniest thing to happen "backstage" at Wikipedia was in 2013, when obsessive editor and scammer Scott Bibby commissioned Aussie artist Pricasso to paint a portrait of site-founder Jimmy Wales.

Paint was applied via penis, scrotum, and arse; the whole process lovingly captured in a short film which Bibby thoughtfully uploaded to Wikipedia. 

Surprisingly for someone who's stated aim is to provide the "sum of all human knowledge", the subject was not best chuffed.  Further merriment was to be had as various factions (such as Jimbo Juicers vs 'Hasten The Day'-ers)  argued themselves rigid about the artistic and educational value of Pricasso's work and whether it should be allowed to remain on the website.

Of course Wikipedia is officially "not censored" and that is why the video can be found at https://vimeo.com/97724216

a duncandisorderly

from the wikipedia page of level-42's boon gould, very recently deceased-

"After this he spent time in a monastery, and in the desert in the U.S., where he nearly got a record deal."

same label as giant sand maybe?

hillbillyholiday

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

How on earth did you find that image, hillybillyholiday? Did you Google 'sad man wearing puffa puffa jacket staring at river'?

hillbillyholiday

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 19, 2019, 09:36:56 PM
How on earth did you find that image, hillybillyholiday? Did you Google 'sad man wearing puffa puffa jacket staring at river'?
Pretty much at first!

You can always upload your own images but not with throwaway accounts.
Otherwise you're limited to what's already on wikicommons.
Ithe vandal found that gem in Category:Down_jackets

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: hillbillyholiday on May 19, 2019, 06:51:53 PM

(reverting to the version we had before this plonker showed up) undo

bloody spoilsports.

popcorn

Wikipedia vandalism is really super boring though. And takes up volunteer time. And shits on the work of people trying to make a proper encyclopaedia. And isn't funny.

:(

Ferris

Quote from: popcorn on May 20, 2019, 03:05:09 PM
Wikipedia vandalism is really super boring though. And takes up volunteer time. And shits on the work of people trying to make a proper encyclopaedia. And isn't funny.

Dog dirt

a duncandisorderly

cock.

Terryfuckwit

:(t

It can be funny, though I mostly agree

Hey, Punk!

piss

That Beardsley image is really funny, though. It's just a bit of harmless whimsy.

Anyway, it's been taken down again. What a boring world we live in, eh Peter?