Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,464
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:21:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

HMV Pixies offers

Started by Ambient Sheep, May 12, 2004, 11:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

Hello peeps,

For any of you old-fashioned types out there that still buy CDs, I just - to my considerable expense - discovered the following things today in Swansea HMV.

The very long-awaited Pixies DVD is out, and costs £13.99.  A new companion Best of CD is out and costs £11.99, but if you buy them both together, you get a fiver off, so £20.98 for the pair.

Several Pixies CDs are on sale at £5.99, including Surfer Rosa, Doolittle & Bossanova.  BBC Sessions and Trompe Le Monde aren't, but are at £9.99 or so.

Also at £5.99 was something that I didn't even know was out - The Purple Tape - i.e. the tracks off their original "Purple Tape" demo cassette that *didn't* make it onto Come on Pilgrim.  I'd vaguely heard about this before but didn't know it had come out, much less on sale at £5.99 (normal price £13.99).

Sorry if this is all old hat, I'm painfully out of touch at the moment (as I don't dare go into record shops normally as I'm near-broke), and I'm aware that at least some of it's been discussed here before, but I hope it helps some people.

While I was there I also fell for the Bicycles & Tricycles Orb thing, the Radiohead Japanese import, and the Smiths Complete DVD, so I'm feeling musically rich but fiscally poor now.

Rats

You can get the pixies dvd at play for a tenner, I saw it the other day
http://play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=161521
It says temporarily out of stock though at the minute

Ambient Sheep

Heh, perhaps I should have said "those of you who are old-fashioned enough to buy CDs from gram-o-phone shops"... :-)

Ambient Sheep

Ooooh, The Purple Tape really isn't very good, is it?  Strictly of interest to collectors only, as they say.  It's quite amazing to think that the eight brilliant tracks on Come on Pilgrim were recorded at the same time.  The only real highlight is the extra section at the start of Here Comes Your Man.

Interesting - if not entirely surprising - to see just how many of these tracks resurfaced later on in their career - Subbacultcha not until their last well-dodgy album Trompe Le Monde.

jutl

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"Ooooh, The Purple Tape really isn't very good, is it?  Strictly of interest to collectors only, as they say.  It's quite amazing to think that the eight brilliant tracks on Come on Pilgrim were recorded at the same time.  The only real highlight is the extra section at the start of Here Comes Your Man.

Interesting - if not entirely surprising - to see just how many of these tracks resurfaced later on in their career - Subbacultcha not until their last well-dodgy album Trompe Le Monde.

Yup - BF mined that seam right out... If I remember correctly Dig For Fire was another track dragged from the early-Pixies-reject-pile when the flow started to flag.

The DVD is excellent, though - I hadn't seen Adam Buxton (et al)'s documentary Gouge before, and it was great. Even the compilation of old backstage tour footage was worth watching...

Morrisfan82

Trompe Le Monde is £5.99 in Virgin Megastores. Look in the big 'hey, these CDs are cheap' rack that's helpfully classified in no fucking order whatsoever. Surfer Rosa and Doolittle too.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "jutl"The DVD is excellent, though - I hadn't seen Adam Buxton (et al)'s documentary Gouge before, and it was great. Even the compilation of old backstage tour footage was worth watching...
Haven't watched the DVD yet, but I saw the documentary (I think it was the same one) on C4 a couple of years ago and it was very good.  Look forward to seeing it again plus all the other stuff too...

perrise

all the albums that are £6 in HMV are £5 in Fopp, and the DVD and new best of are £2 cheaper each, as usual for new releases. i feel sorry for people who only have an HMV/Virgin in their town