Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:15:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Back to the Future 25th Anniversary

Started by phes, August 24, 2010, 07:21:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phes

Can't find a general 2010 releases thread - I guess it got locked and buried. I haven't spotted mention of this on here yet, so just a heads up that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1DXQ2XFrmk

Oct 1st.

i'll be in my room having sex with my mattress until then.

small_world

Ah.... I can't wait for this. I've probably seen BTTF more times than any other movie... I hope they run it for a few weeks.

chocky909

I don't get it. What's so special about this rerelease?

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: chocky909 on August 24, 2010, 08:14:41 PM
I don't get it. What's so special about this rerelease?

It's in glorious cinematic digital quality, for the first time ever, silly!

Just be thankful they haven't decided to murder it with 3D in some horrible way.

small_world

I reckon they should do it in 3D... Like the Jaws 21 in BTTF-II.

I just hope that renewed interest doesn't lead to some horrendous reboot/remake.

Jackson K Pollock

Quote from: small_world on August 24, 2010, 09:24:46 PM
I reckon they should do it in 3D... Like the Jaws 21 in BTTF-II.

Jaws 19!

Cuh!

Artemis

I'll pass on the cinematic release, but the re-release is mine from day one on blu-ray.

Marty McFly

I'm very excited. Never seen it in the cinema before. I just hope they show it in Norwich*

*I moved there from Hill Valley several years ago

Marty McFly

Quote from: Artemis on August 25, 2010, 12:09:24 AM
I'll pass on the cinematic release, but the re-release is mine from day one on blu-ray.

Very good news for all BTTF geeks: The long-lost footage of Eric Stoltz as Marty is going to be on the new discs!

Quote from: BTTF.net
This is it!  This is the big one you've been waiting for!!! Exactly twenty five years to the day since Marty McFly first sped off in Doc Brown's suped-up DeLorean Time Machine in the parking lot of the Twin Pines Mall towards 1955, Universal Studios Home Entertainment (USHE) will release the 25th Anniversary Back to the Future Trilogy Boxed Set on DVD — and for the very first time on Blu-ray Disc — Tuesday, October 26, 2010!

This highly anticipated 25th Anniversary collection features all-new restorations for enhanced picture quality and hours of bonus features including new interviews with the cast and crew.

In an exclusive interview with BTTF.com, Back to the Future Writer/Producer Bob Gale gave us a sneak peek into what we can expect from these brand new features, including one specific item which fans have waited 25 years for a glimpse at.

We caught up with Bob last weekend at the 2010 DeLorean Car Show in Lexington, Kentucky to get his thoughts on the new Hi-Def transfers of the films.  "The HD transfers for all three films are simply breath-taking," Gale told BTTF.com. "They actually look better than they did in the theater because of the incredible job that was done on dirt clean-up. (And the film grain is preserved, so they still look like movies should look.) And hearing the sound in full dynamic range is — okay, I'll say it — a blast!"

He went on to describe the new documentaries, one of which is called Tales from the Future. "I'm sure fans will enjoy the new documentaries, which include interviews with cast and crew members who — for budgetary reasons — were left out of the 2002 documentaries," he explained. "So there are some stories and anecdotes told on camera for the first time. And since everyone wants to know, there are three very brief snippets of Eric Stoltz incorporated into one of the documentaries."  You heard it here first — finally, film footage of Eric Stoltz as Marty McFly!!

Finally, Bob gave us a description of just some of the remaining bonus features which to expect. "We've included an animatic storyboard of the nuclear test site sequence from the early drafts of Part 1; the galleries of stills and artwork have been rescanned at a higher resolution, and we've included just about everything from the previous releases as well."

full article and list of features: http://www.back-to-the-future.net/back-to-the-future-trilogy-25th-anniversary-blu-ray-disc-boxed-set-arriving-october-26-2010/

El Unicornio, mang

That's brilliant news! Shame it's only brief snippets but it's better than nothing

weirdbeard

Whoa!
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/08/nike-patents-marty-mcflys-self-lacing-sneaker/

QuoteNike Patents Marty McFly's Self-Lacing Sneaker

Remember the McFly 2015s, the Official Shoes of Gadget Lab? They were a fairly faithful rendition of Marty McFly's amazing self-lacing sneakers from Back to the Future 2, forced to the market by the tireless work of the Maloof brothers who spent years badgering Nike into making them.

They looked great, but lacked the flashing lights and auto-lacing functions of the "real" thing. Now, Nike has actually patented a self-lacing sneaker. This, you are no doubt just realizing, is completely frickin' amazing: It's entirely possibly that these shoes could actually be in stores in the year 2015, just like in the movie. This would be a weird, time-warping paradox so perfectly mimicking those in the Back to the Future movies that the world might possibly end.

That Nike have filed a patent for these things is mind-bending enough, but pretty much everything has made it in. The shoes will of course fasten themselves, but there are also LEDs a-glowing and a detailed breakdown of the batteries, circuits and control-systems. There is even a charging stand.

One problem Nike might have to face, though, is the existence of prior-art. Not only did the sneakers already show up in the movie, but Just last month we saw that an enterprising hacker had made his own self-lacing shoes.

Much more info and diagrams here: http://www.nicekicks.com/2010/08/possible-nike-air-mag-marty-mcfly-release/

Paaaaul

Quote from: Marty McFly on August 25, 2010, 12:21:34 AM
I'm very excited. Never seen it in the cinema before. I just hope they show it in Norwich*

They should do. The ABC on Prince Of Wales Road showed it in 1985.

Gulftastic

It was the ABC on Vicar Lane in Leeds. We saw it as a preview thanks to free tickets in the newspaper. Probably The Sun. Everyone who attened got a free can of Quantro.

Guy

Quote from: Gulftastic on August 26, 2010, 05:35:27 PMEveryone who attened got a free can of Quantro.

or ?

That'd make one hell of a cocktail.

Ginyard

I wish that was whisky. I'd love to have made a GREAT SCOTCH! joke.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Ginyard on August 27, 2010, 01:09:15 PM
I wish that was whisky. I'd love to have made a GREAT SCOTCH! joke.

Alternatively, if it was strong bitter, you could say "I know, this is heavy".

El Unicornio, mang

Hope that isn't true. A Back to the Future remake could possibly work (they could set it in present day and have the character going back to the 80s) but not with that monstrous child in the lead role.

Bad Ambassador

Or even any research at all. A couple of sites are reporting that they can't find any references anywhere to this, or even any remake of Back to the Future at all.

QDRPHNC

Not to sound all old, but Back to the Future, along with Ghostbusters, really is the kind of great film they just don't make any more. Equally fun for kids and adults without patronizing either, well-written, well-directed, well-acted, and an almost total absense of farts, shit, puke, swears or lame pop culture references crutches.

I'm dying to see this thing on Blu-ray. Even the 1080 Youtube trailer puts the DVD in the shade.

vrailaine

Annoying that they couldn't wait the five years and rerelease the whole trilogy in "the future". I reckon a ton of people will have breakdowns and midlife crises in 2015 just cos of that.

Santa's Boyfriend

Don't worry, I have no doubt at all that they will.

Icehaven

And there's a De Lorean in Coventry Motor Museum at the mo too, with a little BTTF poster behind it. It might always be there, I'm not sure, but it's there now. Although it's one of the earlier models without a Flux Capacitor, which is a bit of a letdown. 

El Unicornio, mang

Here it is, the Eric Stoltz footage we've all been waiting for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wudNasQbv0

(well, a few seconds of it anyway)

alan nagsworth

Well seeing one of my all-time favourite films in big-screen glory was in my top three greatest cinematic experiences of all time. Loved it to bits. I noticed they haven't amped up the sound on it either; it's not very bassy at all.

When I saw the old Universal logo at the start I nearly shit.

Artemis

Here is where I saw the original movie, on it's original release in 1985 with my dad, when I was 8 years old:

I was scared because all the bigger boys were there making a loud noise. It was still great, though. I'm tempted to see it again, but it would have to be in the same place, with my dad.