Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:56:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Top 5 Films EVA!

Started by small_world, August 26, 2010, 09:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedro_Bear

The Empire Strikes Back

Herp. Controversial, moi? One of cinema's most endearing and believable romantic subplots set against an epic space opera in its darkest hours. "I know."

The Gamers 2 Dorkness Rising

Amateur cinema at its best: the DnD group everyone guiltily recognises themselves in, battling against the best laid plans of their DM, with the n00b girl showing them all how it's done. "That's who takes Improved Initiative!"

Crank 2 High Voltage

3D anime, perfect meta-cool, the action movie to end all action movies, hilarious celluloid trashy entertainment, completely stolen by Amy Smart. "Full body tourettes."

Kick Ass

Not going to get tired of this film any time soon, the set pieces where Hit Girl kicks off are exactly what I pay money to go see on a big screen, tralalaaa tralalalaaa. "Show's over, motherfuckers."

Labyrinth

Still the best fantasy film ever made, with the most capable on-screen heroine, pouting and defiant in the face of David Bowie's adult machinations. The perfect vector for romantic positivity and the triumph of the imagination over the mundane. "Nothing? Nothing? NOTHING? Nothing, tra la la?"

Hmm, I guess this turned into "top 5 bestest heroines evar". Same difference, really.

Doomy Dwyer

These are in no particular order because that's not my game.

Raging Bull – Beautiful direction, cinematography, soundtrack. And the acting. Sublime. This is Robert De Niro's finest moment. Whenever he turns up in a new film I think of this and cut him some slack. One of the greatest portrayals of a fucked up, self loathing, destructive prick ever committed to film. And Frank Vincent suffers one of his traditional savage beatings at the hands of crazy Joe Pesci, this time with added taxi door. Stylish.

Out of the Past - I like my film noir, like my men. This is none more. Mighty Bob Mitchum, Kirk Douglas and the fucking insanely beautiful, but deadly, Jane Greer in a tale of lust, betrayal, double cross, triple cross and, of course, Kriss Kross.

Withnail and I – I don't know how many times I've seen this. It's a film you can enjoy on many levels. Drunken, delusional student pricks, doomed melancholy dreamers and admirers of finely nuanced thespianity can unite in appreciation of this truly great film. Simple but clever. Bruce Robinson is a great writer, his stage directions are funnier than most peoples dialogue. Hilarious and bleak.   Why aren't more British films like this? Because they're shit, is why.

The Big Lebowski or This is Spinal Tap – I can't decide between the two. Either film, pop it on at any point, and I'm happy as a pig in shit. Endlessly quotable, superb performances from everyone involved, and John Turturro's masterful ball buffing technique.

Midnight Cowboy – Beautiful scuzzy old New York. "I'M WALKIN' HERE", Ratzo Rizzo's greasy hair, druggy bits, Warhol superstars, dreams of sunshine, Dustin Hoffmans consumptive dancing, the coconut, prostitution, pissy death. All human life is here.

Famous Mortimer

There's a Gamers 2? Awesome.

I love the DVD menu for Gamers 1, with the increasingly hysterical phone calls made being played.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I like how The Empire Strikes Back actually takes the role of 'the connoisseur's choice' in Pedro's list. A refreshingly honest post from a barbarian.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Dr Strangelove
It's a Wonderful Life
Jaws
Love and Death
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

I'll explain why when I have a moment. Bet you can't wait.

micanio

12 Angry Men
Highlander
Goodfellas
City of God
Akira

Runners up: The Matrix, Life of Brian, Annie Hall, Children of Men

Dead kate moss

Out Of The Past
Named once already so could have gone for Night Of The Hunter, but this is my favourite Noir. Loads of great lines, perfect Mitchum and
Spoiler alert
the bit where the kid lies at the end is heartbreaking.
[close]

Head
The Monkees movie, co-written by Jack Nicholson and a clever, surreal, non-linear comment on packaged pop to packaged everything. Works well with drugs.

Once Upon A Time In The West

Other awesome 'Once Upon's already listed, and hard to pick a Leone Western without Clint, but this is still my favourite Leone. Pure cinema.

Monty Python's Life Of Brian
Got to have a comedy in here, and this pushes out Spinal Tap, Airplane and The Jerk by the fact that it pissed off the Church so much. As a NTNON sketch had it, this was roughly the tipping point when the country went from a Jesus-Worshipping country to a Python-Worshipping one.

Evil Dead 2
Meant a lot to me when I was 16, still possibly the movie I have seen the most, closely followed by The Empire Strikes Back which would've made the list if the prequels hadn't soured it. Athough they haven't, because the prequels never happened, lalala can't hear you. Anyway... Ash.

Pepotamo1985

Battlefield: Earth
American Psycho 2
Erm...
That's it