Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:40:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Game Industry news: Popular stores jumping into the resale territory.

Started by VegaLA, August 27, 2010, 04:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegaLA

Looks like two large stores Target and Best Buy in the US are allowing customers to trade in their used games and DVDs.  This territory was completly dominated by the Gamer stores and the publishing companies for the games were throwing a fit about that and if other stores like Woolies, Currys, Dixons, Tescos et al join the party will the software houses push for digital only content sooner rather than later?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/26/best-buy-and-target-announce-video-game-trade-in-programs-clear/

Personally Games are the one media I do prefer to have as a physical format. My TV/Films are either DL to a NAS or streamed through the 360 via Netflix. I like that I can lend a gfame to a friedn, take it to someone house to play or trade it in once i'm through with it.

And you?

mobias

There's a few games out there now that will only allow the original purchaser to enjoy the online portion of the game via a registration system. I think that sort of thing will just become much more widespread. Sony have all but admitted that the PS4, which must be in development  as we speak, will come with an optical drive. The head of Sony Europe said recently in an interview that he thinks purely digital consoles are still at least 10 years off. Bill Gates thinks differently so it'll be interesting to see what the new Xbox is like.

Edit. Sorry it was the actual head of Sony Entertainment that was interviewed http://www.psu.com/news/9633

Viero_Berlotti

I've never been into trading games at shops like Game and Gamestation. It always seems to be such a one sided deal, and I hate being ripped off. You can get a better deal selling games on eBay. When Street Fighter 4 first came out I got it at a special pre-order price of £19.99 from Amazon, I played for about a month and decided it wasn't for me. So I put it for sale on eBay and got £24 for it. I might have lucked out a bit there but if I'd taken it into a shop to trade I would have got about £10 cash / £12 exchange and that's probably at the top end of scale.