Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:27:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bioshock Infinite

Started by Neomod, September 02, 2010, 01:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neomod

It's over 12 months away but the trailer looks interesting. I loved the feel and art direction of Bioshock but have still not finished it and Bioshock 2 sits on my shelf unoppened.

http://kotaku.com/5607451/bioshock-infinite-goes-beyond-the-sea--into-the-skies

Any one else looking forward to this?

uglybob1986

Nearly finished Bioshock 2. Can't wait for infinite

Mister Six

I hope that they're doing a Final Fantasy and having separate stories and universes for each series of Bioshock games, linked by common themes and gameplay. From the description in the preview I've read it sounds scarily similar to the previous games (all this talk of using water to hit multiple enemies with lightning bolts) but with air as the dominant element rather than water. Hopefully they've got something more revolutionary and exciting up their sleeves.

Still, in an age of endless muddy-brown war games it's nice to see an FPS that quite literally reaches for the sky.

papalaz4444244

Quote from: uglybob1986 on September 02, 2010, 01:58:51 PM
Nearly finished Bioshock 2. Can't wait for infinite

The end is truly beautiful (assuming you've been nice during the game)

papalaz4444244

Quote from: Mister Six on September 02, 2010, 02:30:58 PM
I hope that they're doing a Final Fantasy and having separate stories and universes for each series of Bioshock games, linked by common themes and gameplay. From the description in the preview I've read it sounds scarily similar to the previous games (all this talk of using water to hit multiple enemies with lightning bolts) but with air as the dominant element rather than water. Hopefully they've got something more revolutionary and exciting up their sleeves.

Still, in an age of endless muddy-brown war games it's nice to see an FPS that quite literally reaches for the sky.
I'm hoping level design is more three dimensional with a floating/flying element.

uglybob1986

Quote from: papalaz4444244 on September 02, 2010, 05:20:05 PM
The end is truly beautiful (assuming you've been nice during the game)
Finished it this morning. Of course I've been nice ;)
Magnificent

madhair60

After getting myself a new PC and a fancy monitor, I got the fucker outputting 1080p after hours of faffing and decided to test it with the original Bioshock.  Floored me.  It's a brilliant, brilliant game and a wonderful first HD gaming experience.

Little Hoover

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rPWjZyNrw0&feature=player_embedded

I do wonder how much you play this particular section is as it seems like quite a tightly scripted section, but it looks to have incredible potential all the same.

Jemble Fred

I hate the look of the heroine Elizabeth, it's like she's been drawn by a C grade A Level art student – everything about her is out of proportion. That skinny neck, ugly squishy face... eurgh. Seeing as she's by your side throughout the game, it's a shame they couldn't have come up with something less hideous and amateur-looking.

That's fuck-all to do with the gameplay though admittedly, which does look pretty fun.

jutl

The little railways between floating city sections are really reminiscent of the Skytown sections of Metroid Prime 3.

Mister Six

The lack of a HUD makes me very suspicious about how much of that is in-game and how much is cutscene. A lot of it seemed very lucky (the fella landing on the cart after he's knocked off the ledge - what happens to the Murder of Crows cocktail if he misses it?); I imagine that the in-game version will be subtly different and a bit less chaotic.

Also a bit disappointed that we're in a city full of politicised crazies again. I guess you need certain themes otherwise it's not a Bioshock game, but still.

Little Hoover

I assume they just removed the hud for effect and there would be one in-games along with button prompts. Or possibly they haven't designed the hud yet, because it's such an early stage of development, the character would be invincible as their just playing it on a a sort of debug mode because they haven't worked out how much health you should have yet.
Someone that knows more about the process of game development might be able to correct me on that though.

Jack Shaftoe

Someone pointed out:

Spoiler alert
At the 6min mark, in the pub, the picture in the background changes, with a subtle background noise, which seems to affect the mood of the inhabitants. So there might be some way to control the moods of the city inhabitants possibly?
[close]

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Jemble Fred on September 22, 2010, 02:20:35 PM
I hate the look of the heroine Elizabeth, it's like she's been drawn by a C grade A Level art student – everything about her is out of proportion.
Anime Amelie.

Mister Six

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on September 22, 2010, 02:45:33 PM
Someone pointed out:

Spoiler alert
At the 6min mark, in the pub, the picture in the background changes, with a subtle background noise, which seems to affect the mood of the inhabitants. So there might be some way to control the moods of the city inhabitants possibly?
[close]

Ah, that's interesting, and goes back to something they had planned for the original Bioshock:
Spoiler alert
you were supposed to be able to change the pressure of the various areas, which would make enemies fight differently (eg. spider splicers couldn't ceiling-jump at high pressures, but Big Daddies became more aggressive).
[close]
In the end they dropped it, but perhaps they've brought it back for this?

Little Hoover

I'm sure I heard the creative director Ken Levine say something about the fact the inhabitants of the town aren't necessarily hostile to you and so you can choose how to approach the situation more.

It is worth bearing in mind though that lots of promises were made regarding the flexibility of the story in Bioshock 2 i.e I think there was supposed to only be one Big Sister who would stalk you throughout the game and it was sort of optional how early you could wipe her out for the entire game. But I guess they struggled to implement that and in the end there were just several that came after every few little sisters you'd deal with. So I think a lot of the gameplay features it's suggested the game might have, could end up being simplified or scrapped.

Neomod

Bumping this for the E3 gameplay vid which seems to say Elizabeth is going to be pretty important to your game due to her control of the 'tears'

http://youtu.be/6WUt5dEMt_Y

and because last night Rab Florence stated that Bioshock 2 is better than the original.

I returned to Bioshock this morning, I'm pretty near the end, and will unwrap my copy of Bioshock 2 when I've completed it so if he is right I'm looking forward to it.

But is he right in your opinion?

Little Hoover

Well it does some things better, mainly having a much better story structure, so it really builds to an exciting climax rather than petering out at the end, but it's core idea just isn't as engaging and can't have the impact of the original.

Mister Six

Bioshock 2 is a better game - better pacing, better structure, much more satisfying and intuitive combat - but it can't touch the first game for impact or scale, and it doesn't have any characters as compelling as Sander Cohen or Andrew Ryan. Another reason to be excited about Bioshock Infinite, really - a new, spectacular world to see, and hopefully improved gameplay to go with it.

Apparently the Bioshock 2 single-player DLC is also very good, but I never got the change to play it.

Little Hoover

Yeah it's a really nice, short and sweet story, well worth playing.

Infinite just looks astonishing so far, although it could suffer the problem of some gameplay sections being too scripted and the more free roaming parts not being as being exciting. But what we've seen so far just looks incredibly atmospheric and dramatic.

Thursday

I think I'm trying to resist this from now on to not spoil myself.

falafel

Fucking awful accents, mind you.

The Masked Unit

Now that's a fucking inventive trailer.

I'm really looking forward to this game, but mainly the narrative, themes and such.
Just a bit worried that in the hype about this that no-one's really speaking about...well...the gameplay.
As someone who didn't particuarly enjoy the gameplay of the first-game, but stuck with it for the setting, I don't particularly want to have to force myself through what will essentially be 90% of the actual product.

That said, I'm not a fan of pre-orders, but the PC deals that have just sprung up seem pretty decent and could push me over the fence.

http://www.destructoid.com/pre-order-bioshock-infinite-on-pc-and-get-free-games-246420.phtml

If it's rubbish to play, at least I'll get Civ 5 out of it...

...y'know...

...for around 60 bucks.

jutl

QuoteYes, Columbia is stunning from a scale, scope, and art-direction perspective, but on a raw graphical level it is a bit underwhelming on the Xbox 360 version I'm starting with. Textures are muddy and low-resolution and the framerate takes regular slight-but-noticeable dips.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/03/18/bioshock-infinite-review-in-progress

falafel

So I'm the only one that thinks the whole thing just looks like a big bag of bollocks? I loved both the previous Bioshock games but this just seems kind of... arbitrary. I think maybe I was wrong-footed by the horrendous use of the word "infinite" in place of a number in typical nonsensical video game fashion, and I kind of carried on from there - but nothing I have seen has really gone any way towards dissuading me of my doubts, and God knows I want to like it.

WE WILL SEE.