Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:49:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Roguelike Games

Started by hpmons, September 05, 2010, 12:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hpmons

I've always kinda wanted to play roguelike stuff, but find it very difficult to get into.  Even when there is a graphics tileset available, there's still a million and one shortcut keys to stuff I'll never remember, and when I play I manage to die in less than two minutes.  In fact, the first time I ever tried some game (It might have been Nethack) I died in the first move.

However, I am bored.  I want to get into one I'll enjoy and understand.  Please recommend me one (and only if there's a graphics tileset available somewhere, I cannae stand ASCII).

Anyway, its not quite the same, but I thought I'd mention it:
Desktop Dungeons is quite a nice little game that takes some ideas from roguelikes, but can be played in ten minutes.  It wouldn't actually be classified as a roguelike, as there are certain challenges which give rewards that affect your later games, and I don't think it's quite as complex as most roguelikes, but its a lot easier to grasp.

Tokyo Sexwhale

One I used to play ages ago was "Ancient Domains of Mystery" or ADOM.  It was quite detailed for such an apparently simple game.

http://www.adom.de/

Still Not George

If you're up for giving NetHack another go, Vulture's Eye is very worth a look. It's an updated version of the Falcon's Eye graphical interface for Nethack that was going round a few years back.

Oh, and of course there's Dwarf Fortress, but you already knew that...

Castle of the Winds is a very simple roguelike, although it's missing the permadeath feature that you usually get in such games (this could be a bad thing or a good thing, depending on your perspective)

mcbpete

For those that like the atmosphere of the those  randomly generated rogue-likes but a more realtime action version with less fiddling with keyboard shortcuts, try this bad boy: http://teknopants.com/games/shootfirst/

I've been addicted to it for weeks and am still rubbish at it

Famous Mortimer

I remember spending a summer in a house full of teenagers (when I was a teenager) and everyone was playing Zangband, all day long. It got to the point where one or two of us learned to program so we could add menus to it and stuff.

leelo

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 05, 2010, 04:33:25 PM
I remember spending a summer in a house full of teenagers (when I was a teenager) and everyone was playing Zangband, all day long. It got to the point where one or two of us learned to program so we could add menus to it and stuff.

And on a Zangband tip...

http://cid-4fd2e481dbcbb2bc.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/OmnibandTk-1.5.zip

Tim Baker finally returned from the void with an Omniband update last summer.

dredd

Dungeon crawl: stone soup
One of the most popular roguelikes at the moment.
Pared down to eliminate fluff - eg. only 3 attributes, no selling of items, limited food, skill advance tied cleverly to exp gain - there is a constant drive forward to explore deeper and eventually finish the game. Several useful features such as automatic travel to speed your progress between previously explored dungeon branches, and a search function that will allow you to find in which of your distant item stashes you dumped that elusive potion of cure mutation..
Regularly updated with balance tweaks, new content, bug fixes.
Fairly challenging, but perhaps easier than nethack.

dredd

Another crawl pic, featuring the demise of evil bastard frog of doom:

dredd

The Eternal League of Nefia (Elona)

Translated Japanese RPG, inspired by ADOM, which however violates the first rule of roguelikes by allowing you to respawn after death. In contrast to crawl, it is absolutely chock-a-block with fluff. Stuffed to the gills with stats, skills, crafts and things to do - eg. buying a house, shop, farm, ranch and museum, also ranks to chase in dungeoneering, curatorship, fame, the arena. Not to mention repeatable quests, random dungeons that respawn, NPC adventurers that you can trade magic items with, and even having to visit the capital each month to pay taxes on your ill-gotten gains..

Zero Gravitas

Were this real I'm sure it'd be right up hp's darkened alley.

Serial Killer Roguelike : Gameplay

Sadly it's a fake but it did create a lot of interest particularly over at  Bay12 where a small project as spun out of the discussion.

http://crimelike.blogspot.com/

Gah, I split vodka over my keyboard and now all the keys feel squishy.

dredd

Talking of zombies, Rogue Survivor is worth a look.

It dispenses with an experience points per kill system in favour of a skill point per day approach - so there is more of a incentive towards an avoidance strategy, rather than killing everything on sight.

Famous Mortimer

There's a few of them for the mobile device of your choice, too. I've got an Angband-y game on mine at the mo, and there's tons of others.

glitch

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 04, 2010, 11:25:23 AM
There's a few of them for the mobile device of your choice, too. I've got an Angband-y game on mine at the mo, and there's tons of others.

Any particular recommendations? I need something for when I'm not messing about in SunVox.

Famous Mortimer

I've been obsessed over Fallout 3 for a few weeks, so I've not been playing on it a lot, but there seems to be one from the official Angband people called "Angdroid" that looks nice.

Still Not George

At some point I will bang a roguelike out for Android. I've been meaning to write one for years, so I might as well.
Obviously I've got an upcoming project list a mile and a half long first...

DocDaneeka

After you finish the verbwhores space strategy game right?

Still Not George

Home project vs work project. I don't work on Android stuff at home.

(Ta for the reminder on the 4X, I should dig that thread out at some point. I got quite a bit further since I last posted in it.)