Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:33:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who Mongs

Started by Small Man Big Horse, September 06, 2010, 09:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Anything goes here, can be pics from an episode, classic series mongs, dvd covers, reworded comic strips, and everything else you can think of.

To start things rolling, here's a couple quick and lazy ones - but I expect a lot better from everyone else.

Paaaaul

I thought Arsene Wenger would go for a pale girl in red trim...

Glebe

1977's Appearance Of The Glow-Sphere is one of the most boring episodes of DW ever, which perhaps account for the amount of time it has taken for the appearance of the DVD-disc! A mysterious throbbing orb appears in the sky, causing much concern for The Doctor and chums. But it soon disappears harmlessly, and The Doctor, girl sidekick, Brigadier and K-9 recover over a nice mug of Horlicks!

Episode Trivia:

Did you know?.. Future Doctor Sylvester McCoy cameos as a lost pedestrian.

Did you know?.. The episode was filmed in Herefordshire, during a freezing summer glut.

Did you know?.. Ironically, a young Steven Moffat was watching the location filming from the sidelines. It inspired him to become a professional Doctor Who writer.

Did you know?.. The episode was shot on 1,008 feet of film, and was the first 16mm production to be converted the Doctiscope.

Did you know?.. There is a slight gaff when K-9 fails to move. Baker's commentary on the blooper footage is worth the price of admission alone!

quadraspazzed

"TERRIFYING" - Radio Times

"OUTRAGEOUS" - The Mirror

"Even if you can afford heating this winter, this will chill you to your very bones" - The Independent

"Whoever at the BBC made an ILLEGAL ALIEN the hero of a TV show should be fired immediately. IS THIS WHAT WE PAY OUR LICENSE FEE FOR?" - The Daily Mail

quadraspazzed

Small Man Big Horse

Haha, lovely stuff guys, and thanks for not letting this thread die miserably.

Now come on everyone else, it's been scientifically proven that Doctor Who is the easiest thing to photoshop in the world, so there's no excuse for not doing one!

papalaz4444244

papalaz4444244

Tennant decides to stay on with Steven Moffat..........

papalaz4444244

ziggy starbucks

Glebe

During the turbulent 1980s the BBC needed to make cutbacks, what with all the crates of expensive champagne they were supplying Mrs. Thatcher. The biggest casualty was Doctor Who, which reached it's nadir when the BBC hired Tom Baker's nephew Colin on the cheap, and knocked out some of the worst episodes ever – even Rentaghost's Dobbin was forced to contribute for a mere pittance. But things truly took a turn for the disastrous with 1986's little-seen four-parter Revenge Of The Sea-Devils.

The Doctor decides to take a caravan break in Swansea, unaware that the hideous Sea-Devils are out for revenge. Fortunately they don't realise there's a new Doctor and forget about encountering Peter Davidson, and so head up to London on the coach to find Jon Pertwee. By lucky coincidence, Pertwee happens to be friends with Baker, and gives him a ring when he hears an unearthly rustling in the hedgerows. Baker rides to the rescue, but the experience took its toll on Pertwee and he died some years later.

Interesting trivia:

Duran Duran made an appearance in the story, performing their hit 'Fear Of Nuclear War Aboard An Expensive Yacht With A Call Girl And A Bottle Of Bubbly'.

* It took Baker eight days to get his curly wig on, and a further twelve to get it off. "We didn't have wardrobe departments in them days", he says.

* Much of the filming took place near some dustbins, with Cockfosters standing in for Swansea. Ridley Scott is rumoured to have shot some sequences from a big giant crane.

* The story marks the first and last appearance of the RoboDoctor, a rubber-cast electronic Baker used to distract the Sea-Devils.

* All four episodes were said to have moved Michael Winner to tears.

* Nigel Mansell can briefly be seen feeding some pigeons by accident.

DVD features include:

* Commentary with Nana Mouskouri on 2 ½ episodes

* 'The Return Of The Sea-Devils – The Scrumping Of A Modern Classic', 45 min doc

* Remastered deleted bloopers featuring commentary with Paul McGann

* Original PDF script featuring infamous unused 'Belching' sequence

* Rare still of Colin Baker's head

Small Man Big Horse

Lovely stuff Glebe, anything with Dobbin from Rentaghost is guaranteed to make me laugh. :)

Cerys

Melody Lee

I can't do humorous mongs, so I've had a go at a Who story I'd like to see, in DVD form. I remember somebody (Cerys?) suggesting George Irving as the The Doctor in a thread years ago (before the new series got started, I think).

Cerys

Small Man Big Horse

That's astonishing stuff Melody Lee, and a story I'd genuinely love to see.

Glebe

Easily ranking among the most fondly remembered classic Doctor Who episodes, 1972's Attack Of The Charmingly Fake Monsters (or 'AOTCFM' for short) saw Jon Pertwee turn in one of his finest performances in a motion telecast. The Doctor is called back from his holiday in the Costa Del Plonka when a reassuringly phony new rubber threat lays siege to Comfy-On-The-Wold. But is it too late? Who knows!

Pertwee is in fine fettle as he battles enemies old and new in a race to defeat his latest Styrofoam™ foe. There's plenty of action and adventure as a group of groovy school kids help The Doctor push a Cyberman into a pond ("Come on, gang!"), but there are tender moments too, as K-9 finds a surprise love interest and a Sontaran opens up about his sexuality. Meanwhile, a classic speech from The Master – in which he acknowledges his arch-enemies cunning and guile ("Bravo, monsieur!") – triggered many an absurd weeping.

Did You Know?... This is the only episode in which The Brigadier assumes the shape of an apple.

Did You Know?... Watch out for James Whale.

Extras include:

* Random commentaries with Chris Waddle and Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen

* 'The Ruining Of A Classic' featurette

* Drunken "Remember Curly-Wurlys?" live nostalgic pubchat (webcam req.)

* Nigel Mansell

* Unseen 'Not In That Hole!' deleted footage

* Knob

* Pretend deleted bloopers with optional CGI effects