Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:31:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Subversion

Started by Zero Gravitas, September 11, 2010, 01:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero Gravitas

No not SVN, a game currently under development by the makers of Uplink, Darwinia and Defcon, Introversion Software, it's been in development under a sort-of shroud of secrecy for a while now the first thing that got me interested was this small demo for the city generation:

Introversion's Subversion New Video

Really quite nice, I've always be fascinated by that sort of procedural generation but what's it going to be used for? Details have slowly been revealed such as a modular system for designing all sorts of electronic gadgets:

It isn't just for bombs but will be used for many systems within the game, seemingly the objective isn't too far from uplink with 'hacking' and penetration of virtual offices featuring at some point:

Subversion 'Graphics and Navitagion Test' Trailer

I'm excited at least,I really hope this makes it to release as the developer is having a shaky time at the moment.

Quote from: Zero Gravitas on September 11, 2010, 01:26:56 AM
No not SVN:

Introversion's Subversion New Video

Really quite nice, I've always be fascinated by that sort of procedural generation but what's it going to be used for?

Interesting. I must check it out (geddit? SVN? Ah phooey, I get no respect.)

I've always liked procedurally-generated landscapes and puzzles in computer games. It lends flexibility (and sometimes unexpected layouts) that fine-tuned mapping doesn't usually provide. Of course 'back in the day' it was primarily done due to 8-bit machines not having enough RAM for hand-crafted areas of any decent size.

HAYRDRYAH

The street layout reminds me of the craquelure on oil paintings/drying mud/ceramic glaze, so might use a heuristic algorithm similar to the one recently developed for Pixar[nb]H.N. Iben, J.F. O'Brien, Generating surface crack patterns, in: Graphical Models, v.71 n.6, p.198-208, November 2009.[/nb].

Looks good anyway, shame I don't 'game' [via being a macfag]