Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:26:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Time Bandits being converted into 3D!

Started by uncle_rico, September 11, 2010, 07:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerys

Why?  I can see it working really, really well in 3D.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I take it you didn't see Clash of the Titans.

biggytitbo

Ohh bugger, having sen the blur Ray of this, a grainy awful mess, the idea that they can somehow extract a worthwhile 3d effect out of it seems completely barmy. And even if they could, why?

uncle_rico

I'm guessing the only reason he's doing this is because, the financing for Quixote fell through (again) and he needs to something to justify himself as a film-maker.  It's a bit sad, really.

uncle_rico

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 11, 2010, 07:32:53 PM
Ohh bugger, having sen the blur Ray of this, a grainy awful mess, the idea that they can somehow extract a worthwhile 3d effect out of it seems completely barmy. And even if they could, why?

I haven't seen the Blu-Ray, but I can't imagine it was filmed on the greatest of film stocks (it was made for $5M in 1980/81!).  I'd rather see a digital noise reduction fuck-up, than a 3D one, though.

biggytitbo

I'm still slightly confused as to how they make old films, which contain absolutely zero 3d information, into proper modern 3d ready films? Where does the new information come from?

papalaz4444244

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 11, 2010, 08:13:46 PM
I'm still slightly confused as to how they make old films, which contain absolutely zero 3d information, into proper modern 3d ready films? Where does the new information come from?
It seems like they basically cut out elements of the movie and recompose the scenes except now those bits are in the "foreground", presumably there are several layers of focus.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 11, 2010, 08:13:46 PM
This article and video kind of explains the conversion process, seems like a lot of effort for what's usually quite a poor result.

biggytitbo

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on September 11, 2010, 08:37:40 PM
This article and video kind of explains the conversion process, seems like a lot of effort for what's usually quite a poor result.
It's not real 3d is it? Just a rather dopey pseudo 3d effect. I can't for the life of me understand why they bother.

papalaz4444244

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 11, 2010, 08:44:41 PM
It's not real 3d is it? Just a rather dopey pseudo 3d effect. I can't for the life of me understand why they bother.
£3 more for a fucking ticket. :P

biggytitbo

Do they charge more for 3d films these days? I remember going to see star chaser the legend of Orin in 3d back in the day and it was the same price as a regular film including the 3d glasses.

eluc55

Its significantly more, yes. Which is why I really cant see 3D ever becoming mainstream, or replacing traditional cinema. Its a novelty at the moment, but as that wears off, and the recession wears on, I cant see families paying that much regularly. It either has to become cheaper or remain a novelty.

Cerys

You're all such killjoys.  You're just jealous because I worked out that it's possible to see ordinary TV broadcasts in 3D if you put a blackcurrant and liquorice sweet wrapper behind one of your glasses lenses.

AsparagusTrevor

If you're watching a show about sweet wrappers then I imagine the effect is very convincing.

Cerys

mobias

There's been a lot of talk over the years of Gilliam and Palin making a sequel. They should just do that and actually shoot it in proper 3D like Avatar. 

Jemble Fred

There's been a lot more talk of some cunt remaking the film, so I consider this bit of news to be endlessly preferable. Just to see the film on the big screen would be a treat.

biggytitbo

Munchausen might be a better bet, it's more suited to 3d i'd say and judging by the blu Ray is in better shape than time bandits, although still awfully grainy in some of the effects shots. Boy i'd love to see uma knockers coming at me in 3d!

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 11, 2010, 08:44:41 PM
It's never been real 3D. It's the same bollocks they had back in the 50s for Creature from the Black Lagoon, tarted up.

boxofslice

Will it being rendered in '3D' make it any better than it already is?  The answer is no.  Pointless.

sirhenry

Oh dear. And sadder still that Quixote's off the books again.

But the author of the blog in the OP was right: "Also, the film had what is quite possibly the finest movie trailer in cinema history."[nb]Apart from the massive number of spoilers, obviously[/nb]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4vQ6y5gyoM&feature=player_embedded

biggytitbo

Quote from: sirhenry on September 13, 2010, 05:46:38 PM
Oh dear. And sadder still that Quixote's off the books again.

But the author of the blog in the OP was right: "Also, the film had what is quite possibly the finest movie trailer in cinema history."[nb]Apart from the massive number of spoilers, obviously[/nb]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4vQ6y5gyoM&feature=player_embedded
Ha, that really is fantastic. Is that gilliam's voice?

sirhenry

Don't think so. I suspect he was a proper voiceover artist.[nb]and probably grateful to do something a bit different[/nb]