Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:06:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

You And I Did Nine Dee Three

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, September 13, 2010, 11:44:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

This was on at the weekend in order to coincide with the September 11th attacks. (United 93)

Having not seen it before, for good reasons, I was a bit dubious but thought I'd give it a spin nonetheless.

If you enjoy watching something with the production values of a TV show (not as big as Lost, but not as crap as Neighbours), whereby distressed relatives wail the same sort of rubbish down the phone to each other, until eventually the thing we already know happens happens, you'll love this.

Why did they make it anyway? Sure, it's a life-affirming confirmation of the strength of the human spirit to all die in a plane crash, but we already knew that. I don't see what the dramatising of it actually added. If anything it slightly cheapens the victims in turning their ordeal into a source of other people's entertainment. Sure, it wasn't done in a gratuitous or excessively exploitative way, but that ended up making it really quite dull and boring. I'd rather have watched Turbulence, where a psychotic Ray Liotta goes mental on a plane. Because it didn't happen and it's fun.

I should watch World Trade Center for the 9/11 grief double-header, but I just can't stomach the prospect of wasting more of my life gazing at Nic Cage's fucking face.

chocky909

It sounds like you may have watched the shite one that Channel 4 showed. Paul Greengrass' United 93 was on ITV a couple of days before and is an excellent made film although your second point would still be valid. I never saw World Trade Center but heard it was a bit much.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 13, 2010, 11:44:49 AMI should watch World Trade Center for the 9/11 grief double-header, but I just can't stomach the prospect of wasting more of my life gazing at Nic Cage's fucking face.
I've never seen Nic Cage's fucking face but I imagine it's quite disturbing.