Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:50:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

what level are you

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, September 13, 2010, 11:52:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Come on then

I'll fucking have you

Spoiler alert
Tell me your most impressive gaming achievement
[close]

madhair60

I beat Gradius 3, arcade version, without savestates.  None of you fuckers could do that, nor would you want to.

And, erm, got 100pt averages on all the Mega Man Zero games.  Those games are burned into my retinas (retinae?) now.

Also, I got to The Guy on I Wanna Be The Guy.  I am yet to defeat him.

I like hard games, as long as they're 2D.  Shit at 3D games.  More later.

Neville Chamberlain

I've got beyond level 40 of Chuckie Egg!

Big Jack McBastard

I filled the sphere grid for all the characters in Final Fantasy X (I'll not post a jpeg as they're hueg) so I could kill off the insanely high-end creatures, one attack everyone dies types, in the Monster Arena or whatever it was called.

I'm a sucker for a game with grind.

Thinking about it it's mostly 'time spent' on any given RPG where I scare myself a bit, Fallout 3 saw 700 hours over 4 characters, Oblivion was 1000+ hours over 3 or 4 playthroughs.

Last I checked I was in the top few percent of Guitar Hero players (there are millions of players though), but there's a few tunes I can't even finish on Expert so I prefer not to brag as I always seem to run into demons who ruin me whenever I try an online vs match.

madhair60

Consignia

I got an S-Rank on "Ready Steady Go" on Ouendan 1. Perhaps not a difficult achievement in the grand scheme of gaming, but it was difficult for me with my spacky hands. It took me almost 3 years of on-off gameplay to reach it.

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: madhair60 on September 13, 2010, 01:46:46 PM
Tony Hawk's fan, are you?  *Gurgle*

Heh, I was up until Project 8 came out actually and then I realised how far beyond silly it'd gotten and how little of my arse I could be bothered to devote to it.

pk1yen

After 200 hours, and cannibalising parties from my old games, I'm still missing several of those infuriatingly hard-to-get Nintendo-event-only legendary Pokemon on my copy of Soul Silver.

Mew and Celebi can get to fuck, the unobtainable bastards. I even had an official Nintendo Mew on my copy of Silver for the GBC -- but it's impossible to transfer anything from the first two generations of games to the new GBA-DS ones.

Now pardon me while I succumb to a few minutes of panic attack that I might have missed a Nintendo wi-fi event over the summer (I got Jirachi, by pure chance that I checked Bulbapedia, otherwise I'd have hated myself forever).

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Big Jack McBastard on September 13, 2010, 02:00:35 PM
Heh, I was up until Project 8 came out actually and then I realised how far beyond silly it'd gotten and how little of my arse I could be bothered to devote to it.
You got further than I did, I think I gave up around Underground 2, where the storyline just fucked me off too much. This was after devoting a large portion of my evenings mastering the first four THPS games.

Big achievements eh? I always thought getting all of the super-emeralds on Sonic 3 and Knuckles counted as quite an achievement, especially one or two of the bonus stages were close to impossible. But I soldiered on, eventually got them for Sonic, then got them for Knuckles and then got them for Tails as well. Collecting these was the only way to get a Super-version of Tails, though most of the game was finished by then, so not much chance to use him. Sonic and Knuckles got their super versions from the regular emeralds, and hyper versions from the super-emeralds.

Also, in the Tekken games learning King's throw combos felt like I'd accomplished something, pulling off a 5-throw combo while playing against an unsuspecting opponent, and watching their face as their health went bye-bye. My friends eventually had to learn the counter attacks against these to stand a chance. Still, having to memorise about 30 button presses, it always felt like satisfyingly hard work.

Danger Man

Finishing Driver on the PS1. That was a very tough final mission.

Otherwise, grinding out 100%'s on the likes of your Gran Turismos and GTAs

And winning the most difficult frisbee tournament on Nintendogs....

Whug Baspin

Big Jack you've totally consumed Fallout 3 and Oblivion, I feel like I've barely played them now despite having completed them both a few times. And I only just mastered Hard on Guitar Hero, I should give up now.

Err getting to Dangerous on Elite felt quite a huge achievment at the time. Getting to Level 5 of Ghouls, completing Lemmings. Wish I had more time to play games.

Famous Mortimer

Completing Max Payne 2, on hard mode. The number of fucking times I died because I'd run out of saves...

Getting 1000 XBox points for Tomb Raider Legend.

Maybe not particularly difficult, either of them, but factor in how rarely I play computer games to the end and they're better than any of your achievements, by miles.

Treguard of Dunshelm

Reaching Deadly in Elite.

Getting 100% in Zelda: Ocarina of Time (not particularly difficult, but I think it was the first game I ever completed).

Beating all the staff ghosts in F-Zero X.

Big Jack McBastard

I do love RPGs they can be a bit lonely but the well crafted ones are so deep and awesome in both their content and aesthetics that I'm drawn to them like a moth to a candle factory. I can't wait to see what they do with Elder Scrolls V if they ever get round to even saying anything about it.

Guitar Hero just made me eager to keep plugging away at it but it takes a fuck of a long time to get 100%s on songs on Expert, I really got hooked on it when 3 came out and thankfully it's one of those games where if you can play one to any level of competence the sequels are a piece of piss so you look like an idiot savant when a new one comes out. Through the Fire and Flames on Hard was my Everest, I fucking played that thing till well past the point my arms ached many times over to complete it, my little finger being a bit knackered on my left hand didn't help either, though it was some good physio I suppose. Can't touch it on Expert though, even on Practice mode I end up giving up.

All the fucking Orbs in Crackdown, I'd gotten 496 on-the-fly and had to get a frigging map and go through 3/4 of them again to find those last bollocking 4. (I've only bloody gone and got the sequel too.)

Still Not George

I'm surprisingly poor at most games. About my best claim to fame is completing XCOM: Enemy Unknown on my first attempt ever. Oh, and completing Terror From The Deep on my second attempt ever.

eluc55

I got all the character statues in Zelda: The Windwaker.

The ones where you have to photograph every character in the game, then take them to be wittled by an old man in a hard to reach cave. Except the camera only holds three pictures at a time, and you have to wait for each statue to be wittled over three days, then return, collect the statues and then obtain three more pictures, repeat and rinse. For over 200 characters.

I was a student.
Spoiler alert
Bloody students.
[close]

glitch

Headshotting someone in BF:1943 from the middle of Wake Island to their spawn carrier. About 4 miles in game, they were nothing more than a few pixels on my housemate's massive HD telly. The game didn't allow any points for the kill as it treated it as spawn camping. BF:1943 doesn't have bullet drop though so it's not that impressive I guess.

My favourite gimmick in BF:BC2 is to use the tracer dart to snipe people. Bullet drop, no scope. I'm getting better at hitting people from across the map and it's so glorious when you follow it up with a now-homing RPG at them.

Having a 5:1 win/loss ratio in Company of Heroes, before they brought in the expansion. Now that CoH is going free to play, I might have to fire it up and waste another 6 months of my life.

weekender

I completed the arcade version of Super Pang - as in the proper actual arcade game - using only four pound coins.

Have any of you ever completed a game at an actual arcade?  Let alone only using £4?  I bet you fucking haven't.

Big Jack McBastard

I absolutely ruined all of the the hi-score entries of a glass table top arcade of Galaga in a Cypriot hotel over several late nights many years ago. it was all;

1....TIT
2....ASS
3....SOD
4....GIT
5....CUN
6....TS.
7....POO
etc.

By the time I was done with it.

I also finished Operation Wolf while on holiday in Kos, a solitary arcade machine at the bottom of our apartment felt my wrath on a regular basis and a few folks and myself ploughed through all of the TMNT 4-player arcade at our local ice-rink donkeys years back.

Both cost considerably more than 4 quid though and by the time it got to Virtua Cop it was getting a bit of a strain on my limited funds so I never finished any beyond that era.

madhair60

Quote from: weekender on September 13, 2010, 07:44:18 PM
I completed the arcade version of Super Pang - as in the proper actual arcade game - using only four pound coins.

Have any of you ever completed a game at an actual arcade?  Let alone only using £4?  I bet you fucking haven't.

The Simpsons arcade, plus Metal Slug X and 3. :D

Still Not George

Man, you'd think so, but that bloke's getting SO much elf fanny on the sly.

It's the beard that does it.

Danger Man

Quote from: Still Not George on September 13, 2010, 06:18:02 PM
Oh, and completing Terror From The Deep on my second attempt ever.

Bloody hell. It took me 15 years (albeit with a 14 year gap in the middle) and numerous attempts to finish that one. On the easiest setting.

The 10 second movie at the end didn't really seem to do justice to my epic struggle to finish the game.

Little Hoover

My proudest achievement recently was replaying FFIX and finally defeating that cunt Ozma who I never got round to beating the first time, other games got in the way, then I lent the game to someone and then they buggered off to live somewhere else with it. Of course it's not all that an amazing achievement, if you're lucky and he doesn't constantly throw meteor and curse at you, then you've a fair chance of beating him, but in my case he did do that, but I managed to beat him anyway.

I'm sure there's much more awesome examples of my greatness I'm not remembering though, although to be honest I'm pretty lazy with finishing games 100%.

Still Not George

Quote from: Danger Man on September 13, 2010, 10:19:12 PM
Bloody hell. It took me 15 years (albeit with a 14 year gap in the middle) and numerous attempts to finish that one. On the easiest setting.

The 10 second movie at the end didn't really seem to do justice to my epic struggle to finish the game.
It doesn't, does it? First playthrough I approached it like Enemy Unknown, and obviously failed. Second playthrough I focused a lot more on picking and choosing my responses and slowed my losses down that way. The main difficulty it presents is that although you get a nice early burst of alien gear to get you going, there's a long, long, LONG lag in the middle. Also recovering alien subs is a million times harder than recovering UFOs in the first game for some reason.

Niall Quim

Quote from: madhair60 on September 13, 2010, 08:21:21 PMThe Simpsons arcade

That's the only one I can remember ever beating in the arcades. Those four player beat-em-up arcade machines were things of beauty, weren't they? Shame I haven't seen one in person for at least 15 years.

Some of all your achievements put me to shame, I spend an embarrassing amount of time gaming and I like to ramp up the difficulty level occasionally, but I never feel compelled to do anything crazy like devote 1000+ hours to one game or jump through ridiculous hoops for completion like in Wind Waker.

Er, I've beaten Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles on the NES without losing any lives, but I used Donatello so that hardly feels like it counts.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Niall Quim on September 14, 2010, 03:05:28 AMEr, I've beaten Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles on the NES without losing any lives, but I used Donatello so that hardly feels like it counts.

That's definitely an achievement, that game was bastard hard and very unforgiving. I only ever managed to get to Shredder once, and lost in a few seconds. That fucking swimming level got me nearly every time, damn seaweed.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I suspect I'm close to racking up the most hours played on one game without completing the main story (Morrowind).

Getting San Marino calcio into Serie A and winning the UEFA cup on Football Manager remains a terrific achievement, but I still haven't got their national side to qualify for a major tournament. This is a fool's errand.

So yes, my major achievements are not achievements at all really, just huge investments of time.

I completed snake on my phone, thats right i fucking filled that screen with snake. All snake, nothing but snake. SNAKE!

Jack Shaftoe

Level 58 Night Elf Hunter.

Which is a bit sad really, as it suggests I've put enough time in to grind my way up to the higher levels, but am not good enough at it to get to the properly high levels. Which would be accurate.