Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:48:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rita Sue And Bob Too

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, September 14, 2010, 02:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

This was on Channel 4 last night. I'd only seen a bit of it before. It was certainly a look back at grim shitty council estate life, in a humorous way. I can't help but think stuff like Shameless owes a massive amount to this film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091859/

In some respects genuinely unpredictable, as most of the characters are incredibly short-tempered and volatile. What's interesting about these type of films is that the characters are by turns sympathetic then unsympathetic- ie- they portray people as they really are.

So I quite liked it.

koeman

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 14, 2010, 02:03:49 PM
I can't help but think stuff like Shameless owes a massive amount to this film.

I always get George Costigan and David Threlfall mixed up. Wonder if that's why.

Custard

Great film.

Bit of trivia for ya - I used to wank over the car sex scene when i was 14. It's just so moving and romantic x

El Unicornio, mang

I love Alan Clarke's films, but thought this one was terrible. Lots of bleakness smeared in your face for 2 hours, with no real point to it all.

I, however, also wanked over the car sex scene when I was a kid, not sure why as it's horribly unsexy. I guess we took what we could get back then!

koeman

Well, I was going to confess to it in my earlier post but wimped out but yes, put me down as another who wanked over that scene in my younger days. The younger generation today don't know they're born.

imitationleather

I also would like to sign up to this club. And I think I probably had the internet when I first saw it. Oh dear.

Horrific bleakness can be quite arousing, I guess...

Custard

Blimey, this thread is well giving me the horn

lipsink

This is a film I've always caught bits of over the years - never seen the whole thing. Though watched the car scene last night and found it quite sexy and hot but quite unsettling and depressing too. Doesn't the guy from 'Goodness Gracious Me' later on say something like "It's not my fault I'm a p**i."

Quite a nice bit of scheduling too, putting it after the 'This Is England 86' repeat.

Lord Mandrake

Yes I remember ejaculating to this movie in the early 90's.

Famous Mortimer

It's a great film. The horrid old drunk racist; the car sex; the threesome at the end.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Cuh, spoiler alerts or what.

In fact that's a completely anti-climax of a spoiler as
Spoiler alert
the threesome is only implied and the frame freezes for the end credits.
[close]

Bingo Fury

Had no idea this film was on last night. I'm intending to catch up on This Is England '86 on 4OD so wasn't keeping an eye on the schedule.

I've always loved it, though, except for the last five seconds, which (to me, at least) always seemed to devalue everything that had come before.

hamble

Always reminds me to thoughtfully remind my sister that she used to dress like that.Her white court shoes that worn down at the heels when she scraped them on the pavement there were sparks.
A great film-the last seven words being the best.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

And as my friend pointed out adroitly, why are seemingly zero young women called Rita these days?

Bingo Fury

Quote from: hamble on September 15, 2010, 02:08:40 PM
A great film-the last seven words being the best.

Sorry, but that line stank the whole film out for me. After the chickens had come home to roost and cheating on your wife with two naive schoolgirls, and getting one of them pregnant, was shown to be the kind of thing that has serious real-world consequences, someone presses a magic comedy reset button and it all reverts to being a lark after all. I've never got the point of that. It's like putting the genie back in the bottle. Costigan's throbbing, veiny genie. In two moist, yielding bottles.

hamble

You just put me right off my tea.

Ignatius_S

A while ago, I read that there was a film coming out about Andrea Dunbar, the writer of Rita Sue And Bob Too and the article was around the time when it was first being premiered.

Thanks to this thread, I checked some reviews and it's had a great write-up so I'll be keeping an eye out.

Quote from: Bingo Fury on September 15, 2010, 04:00:53 PM
Sorry, but that line stank the whole film out for me. After the chickens had come home to roost and cheating on your wife with two naive schoolgirls, and getting one of them pregnant, was shown to be the kind of thing that has serious real-world consequences, someone presses a magic comedy reset button and it all reverts to being a lark after all. I've never got the point of that. It's like putting the genie back in the bottle. Costigan's throbbing, veiny genie. In two moist, yielding bottles.
I had read previously that Dunbar grew to dislike the film, largely becasue it was more upbeat than her script.

biggytitbo

I do genuinely love this film, not because it's exactly my life (Well not quite anyway) but because the mise en scene is my life, that's the world I grew up with and I know every single character in that film inside out from my own experiences. Watching it is like an uncanny visit through my past, not always comfortable but certainly the most completely accurate rendition of that world probably ever put on film.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 15, 2010, 02:10:57 PM
And as my friend pointed out adroitly, why are seemingly zero young women called Rita these days?
Johnny briggs sister was called Rita, and they were from Leeds. I like to believe that Rita was the same Rita from Rita sue and bob too. She did always imply she was up to stuff. And johnnys dog was called razzle, that was a subtle clue I feel.

Bingo Fury

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 15, 2010, 07:44:16 PM
I do genuinely love this film, not because it's exactly my life (Well not quite anyway) but because the mise en scene is my life, that's the world I grew up with and I know every single character in that film inside out from my own experiences. Watching it is like an uncanny visit through my past, not always comfortable but certainly the most completely accurate rendition of that world probably ever put on film.

That's why, ending aside, I love it too. I doubt Yorkshire was THAT different from the wilds of West Lothian in the late-70s/early-'80s.

Shit, I never knew anything about Andrea Dunbar before. Dead at 28! And died in the same pub where Black Lace did their "Gang Bang" scenes. One for the Bleak thread.