Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:40:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The History Boys

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, September 14, 2010, 02:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

BBC2 showed this at the weekend I believe. Having not seen the play, I wasn't carrying any particular expectations but I enjoyed it. At first the classroom of bright young things seem almost impossibly smug- the sort of irritating pretentious tossers you want to get beaten down in the most vicious arbitrary fashion. Then mysteriously it all just clicks, and you go with it. The scenes become not ego-driven and self-important but these whimsical flight of fancies that go anywhere. The supporting cast of teachers is fantastic- Richard Griffiths is just brilliant in everything in my eyes- and it's really funny in places, and enjoyable overall- if you can get over the initial hump of wanting to be interested in these drama school-type pricks and their ego-trips.

Anyone else bothered?

neveragain

As much as I love Alan Bennett, I have a hard time with this one. Griffiths is great, as are most of the cast really, and I don't mind the copious referencing of literature as it culminates in some moments that are genuinely quite moving but... doesn't it draw a blind eye to paedophilia?

That's probably an overreaction, but (despite the fact I always say that the writer doesn't have to spell everything out to an audience, as we have the capability to say when something going on in the story is suss or not) the way Teacher Griffith's extracurricular activities with the boys are simply glossed over, with most adult characters saying 'Well, he's a creature of habit!' with an obliquely-raised eyebrow, is just a bit off. I love 'Playing Sandwiches' though.