Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:23:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Most Disappointing Sequel

Started by Maybe Im Doing It Wrong, September 15, 2010, 09:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil_A

Quote from: papalaz4444244 on September 23, 2010, 12:25:03 AM
Aw c'mon... Highlander 2 surely is the biggest disappointment.

It shits on the first movie from a great height. I will never forget the crushing horror of going to see that piece of shit.

True, although the one after that is even worse. At least Highlander II was directed with a bit of panache, even if the story is complete bollocks. Highlander 3 was pure straight-to-video shit all the way through. Mario Van Peebles' character is just a straight rehash of The Kurgan, and the whole thing looks really cheap and awful.

I've just remembered another one, actually - The Crow: City Of Angels. Fucking hell. I'm still not sure if Mia Kirshner was just stoned all the time, or just hadn't learnt to portray any emotions beyond "vacant surprise". Iggy Pop's acting wasn't much better. And everything shot in shades of green and yellow for some reason.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Phil_A on September 23, 2010, 07:23:44 PM
At least Highlander II was directed with a bit of panache, even if the story is complete bollocks. Highlander 3 was pure straight-to-video shit all the way through. Mario Van Peebles' character is just a straight rehash of The Kurgan, and the whole thing looks really cheap and awful.

I've just remembered another one, actually - The Crow: City Of Angels. Fucking hell. I'm still not sure if Mia Kirshner was just stoned all the time, or just hadn't learnt to portray any emotions beyond "vacant surprise". Iggy Pop's acting wasn't much better. And everything shot in shades of green and yellow for some reason.

I'd agree with all this. As big of a botch job as it is, I did find Highlander II entertaining in a Flash Gordonish way. I've seen the second and third Crow films, and they're both among the least entertaining films I've ever seen.

mobias

Highlander II was indeed sit. So shit in fact I've forgotten all about it. Apparently though there is a directors cut out there which is far superior and totally changes a lot of it. I wouldn't mind seeing it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highlander_2

Highlander's certainly a blast from the past. It's quite spectacularly of its time, talk about 80's film making. As a kid in the mid 80's it was one of my favourite films but I remember seeing some of it again recently on cable and oh dear, it wasn't as good as i remembered it being put it that way. Kurgan was a pretty cool bad guy mind you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vewBQkBKm5M

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: mobias on September 23, 2010, 08:40:10 PM
Highlander II was indeed sit. So shit in fact I've forgotten all about it. Apparently though there is a directors cut out there which is far superior and totally changes a lot of it. I wouldn't mind seeing it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highlander_2
The allegedly superior edit still leaves in the stuff that pissed people off - they're still aliens, and the action is still as shit as ever. It's better than the original, but that's damning with the faintest of all possible praises.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Serge on September 15, 2010, 02:12:32 PM
'Jurassic Park 2: The Lost World' anyone? I know that the original is flawed...

Say WHAT?!

Quote from: Steven on September 19, 2010, 06:50:39 PM
During the Lost World I stood up in the cinema and shouted madly at the screen at the cheesiness of it.

Christ, I don't know what's worse; you, or the film.

mobias

Quote from: alan nagsworth on September 24, 2010, 08:32:47 PM
Say WHAT?!

The original is deeply flawed isn't it? Its still a hugely enjoyable film but I remember agreeing with some of the reviews when it came out that suggested it was one of Spielberg's more soulless movies. The whole movie is based around spectacle, the characters are all utterly vacuous and there's not a moment of subtlety in the whole film. Jaws it is not.

Cerys

Plus it has an ungodly number of continuity errors.

alan nagsworth

Fuck you guys.

Love, from
Jeff Goldblum doing a great job as usual of portraying the intelligent but cynical sarcastic guy that Nagsworth genuinely enjoys every time.

Cerys

Excuse me?  I love the film.  How do you think I know about the continuity errors?  Repeated viewing, that's how!

Serge

I love 'Jurassic Park', I went to see it three times at the cinema when it first came out, and Jeff Goldblum is one of the best things in it, and has one of the greatest lines of dialogue ever: "That is one big pile of shit."[nb]And I've also borrowed his line, "She's....tenacious." on more than one occasion[/nb] And the dinosaurs are amazing, and the T Rex scene beats any other dinosaur scene in any other movie hands down.

But: Richard Attenborough and Laura Dern. Flawed. That's all I'm saying.

alan nagsworth

Yeah alright, I'll give you your continuity errors and your Richard Attenborough... but Laura Dern was my first childhood crush, seeing her in that film when I was six years old. I was very confused about the emotions flaring up in my tummy when she was all panting and sweaty and being scared shitless by a dodgy electrical compound inhabited by stray velociraptors that have since been proven to be not 7ft scaly killing machines but 2ft feathered pussies.

Doctor Stamen

The only thing I can remember about Jaws 4 is that Brody's widow flies to the Caribbean with Michael Caine's character and the shark follows them.  You have to give the writers some credit for having the balls to come up with a plot like that.

non capisco

Quote from: Doctor Stamen on September 25, 2010, 01:55:41 PM
The only thing I can remember about Jaws 4 is that Brody's widow flies to the Caribbean with Michael Caine's character and the shark follows them.  You have to give the writers some credit for having the balls to come up with a plot like that.

I think it's also supposed to be a relative of the original shark. It jumps out of the water and roars like a lion at one point, to which Caine's character's response is "Bloody 'ell! The breath on that fing!" I may be confusing some of these details and scenes but that's pretty much all in there.

TotalNightmare

Jaws 4 is an odd one...

Other than the stupid plot, Caine making a lazy pay check and utter rubbish special effects, Jaws 4 did addle my mind when I was younger.

Firstly, the scene where Brody's son is killed at the beginning (and no one can hear his screams because of the festivities) really upset me, mainly because it felt like a cruel way to treat the character we saw copying his dad in the first film. Also, it's probably the only effective scene in the movie... and it's right at the start.

Secondly - Mario Van Peebles... does he die or NOT in that film. I've not watched it recently, in fact, not in over a decade (not rush), but I seem to remember Peebles proper-no-way-to-get-out-if it dying in one version (getting swallowed almost whole!) and in another version NOT dying in any way shape or form and revealing to be alive at the very end.

Now - am I mis-remembering this, or did Mr Peebles (I Love writing that name) get two fates in the movie depending on the territory of release?

I may need to check this out! TO THE INTERNET... oh, wait... I'm already here. (Click)

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: TotalNightmare on September 25, 2010, 03:19:08 PM
Firstly, the scene where Brody's son is killed at the beginning (and no one can hear his screams because of the festivities) really upset me, mainly because it felt like a cruel way to treat the character we saw copying his dad in the first film. Also, it's probably the only effective scene in the movie... and it's right at the start.

This was the first time I ever saw someone die in a film (around the age of 6), or at least the first time it ever effected me, especially the bit where his arm gets bitten off (my uncle joked that it should get a seperate coffin, the uncaring swine). I agree even today it's actually quite a chilling scene, even the hack-y cutting between the death and a local choir practice works quite well. As for the rest of the film, I'm down with the absurdity, it's the dullness that spoils it for me.

As for Mario, he originally died but test audiences wanted him alive, so he's given a last minute, totally implausible reprive in most versions, but the original cut sometimes turns up on TV and whatnot for some reason (Spoilers)

Richard Jeni, the "sarcastic comic relief" guy from The Mask, was probably best known in his stand-up days for a "routine" where he pretty much gave a straightforward description of the plot of Jaws: The Revenge.

quadraspazzed

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on September 25, 2010, 08:57:01 PMRichard Jeni, the "sarcastic comic relief" guy from The Mask, was probably best known in his stand-up days for a "routine" where he pretty much gave a straightforward description of the plot of Jaws: The Revenge.

Never seen the film, now never have to! Thanks!

http://flimmr.passagen.se/movie/richard_jeni_jaws_4.action

Johnny Textface

I tell you what is shit. Superman IV. I know III is pretty bad, but it was still watchable. IV is utterly appalling. Apparently it was filmed in Milton Keynes, but even so.

Lord Mandrake

Once upon a time in Mexico had some great ingredients, Dafoe, Banderas, Rourke, Depp, Alba.. And the performances are'nt necessarily what fail it, the script, the direction and plot are just such a lazy babbling mess. Desperado and El Mariachi are both vastly superior.

Dead kate moss

My favourite part of Lost World is when Jeff Goldblum says to Richard Attenborough 'I thought they were supposed to die if they didn't get their daily injections?' to which Attenborough replies 'I know!'

However bad Superman 4 is, and it is, it's still better in many ways than Superman Returns with its deadbeat-dad stalker Superman.

X-Men 3 was another huge drop-off in quality, and Wolverine stank even more.

Spider-Man 3 also. The Sandman didn't kill Uncle Ben! Why is MJ suddenly a total bitch?

Non-nerd territory, The Two Jakes. Not good.

Ignatius_S

Initially, I thought a Jurassic Park sequel might have promise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyGMiwOGBfM

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Dead kate moss on September 29, 2010, 02:41:49 PM
However bad Superman 4 is, and it is, it's still better in many ways than Superman Returns

I think that's a stretch, but it's not as dull and distant.