Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:45:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Best Man

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, September 16, 2010, 11:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

On BBC1 last night, with Seth Green, Kate Ashfield, Amy Smart and some others I recognised but can't put names to faces.

Kind of a weird British take on a hollywood goofball romantic comedy I suppose. Man with no friends hires writer to be Best Man, writer falls in love with bride-to-be, writer's friend does the Iago stuff, lots of wedding stuff at the end, etc.

The tone was all over the place, from falling over gags to character stuff then back again. Sort of interesting for it, but at times the descent into cringe-comedy made me want to turn off. Seth Green also put on a British accent for reasons unknown, though he did a reasonable job of it, I must say.

What sticks most in the memory is the appalling delivery of the lead's main lines in the film, describing how he feels to be in love.

Oh well, I got to perv over Kate Ashfield- at one point I insisted vocally for her to 'keep wearing those clothes please'. She did.

hundred

I watched this a couple of years ago open mouthed at how hilariously bad Stuart Townsend was, I can't even begin to imagine how or why anyone cast him in this. It was such a stinker I knew I had to watch it all just to tell people how shitty it was.

And what's with Amy Smart? She's barely normal pretty, never mind Hollywood pretty.

Famous Mortimer

Heart Kate Ashfield.

By gum, I might give this film a try now. I sat through the entirety of "Magicians", so clearly I've got a high tolerance for bad British comedy. Is it worse than Confetti?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Thing is, he was being quite a realistic arsehole early on in the film, then suddenly changes to this romantic lead we're supposed to be rooting for. It didn't help that he has a)no comic ability and b)can't deliver romantic lines either.

But hey, Kate Ashfield Is In It, and playing someone who is really quite filthy.