Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 07:56:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

CaB Presents Squarepusher - The Nagsworth Paradox

Started by Vitalstatistix, September 16, 2010, 11:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vitalstatistix

So Pepotamo1985 was all like:

QuoteI reckon a tight and concise SquarePusher compilation would probably be one of the definitive electronic music albums ever crafted - as long as it had someone else choosing the material.

and I was all like

QuoteLet's do it!

then people started naming  songs they enjoy, in a directionless circlejerk of despair.

So this is the structure whores secretly crave.

The questions:

1) double album or one single disc length? - How many tracks?
2) how many whores want to nominate songs, how many per whore?

then we narrow it down, have a discussion over sequencing, someone do some genius cover art then BAM we have "one of the definitive electronic music albums ever crafted". Obviously it'll be up to individuals to put the compilation together for themselves from their legally purchased Squarepusher collections, so we don't break any laws! Maybe some clever radio person can play it on the ole cab radio?

Vitalstatistix

Obviously it could turn out that a compilation of this kind is very much a personal thing, where a democratic consensus will never truly be found. But then, people talking about the songs they love could be fun anyway.

Despite the entertaining bile relating to his recent work in Nag's thread, this is an artist who's produced a huge amount of extraordinary work.

I just did this in my head and then realised I never want to listen to that much Squarepusher.

I will nominate 'Full Rinse'.

Vitalstatistix

Screw you Boston Crab!!

'Full Rinse' is going on the bonus disc of the Japan-only release.

alan nagsworth

Haha, this is quite fun! Alright, I reckon two songs nominated per 'whore, and two votes for other 'whores nominations too? So we can whittle down runners-up easier and all that, what do you think? Obviously highest voted tunes make the disc(s) and we can sort the wheat from the huge majority of chaff too. I am very tired and not very democratic right now though, so that might be a shit idea.

If not, I nominate 'Tundra' and 'Do You Know Squarepusher', the latter of which would blatantly make a great opening track. ;)

I second your vote for 'Do You Know...?' which kind of condenses the best bits of his whole career into one track.

Danger Man

Do you know Squarepusher/Come on my Selector

The perfect double-A sided single (and all the Squarepusher you will ever need)

boki

'Squarewindow', probably best deployed as the closer.

Robot DeNiro

Should we exclude tracks from Feed Me Weird Things and Hard Normal Daddy, as in the previous thread people seemed to agree that those albums were essential anyway?

Also, I don't know if I'll be able to limit myself to 2 nominations.

fremsley

No 'best of' compilation should ever be longer than 60 minutes, otherwise it's stretching the point.

That said, I would nominate for Journey to Reedham, being the distilled euphoria of the city, and My Sound as its reflective come down counterpoint. These things are rarely surpassed.

Vitalstatistix

That's the spirit! Some great choices.

Robot - I say we span all the albums, otherwise it just won't be a definitive retrospective.

I'm nominating 'Beep Street' and 'My Red Hot Car'.

Beep conjures up a lot of nostalgic feelings for me. The melodies are simple, but lovely and warm. The drums make it - more jungly than drilly, complex but organic.

Hot Car should be there because it displays his dark sense of fun and playfulness. It's a killer bloody tune as well. Angular, garage-y and sleek. The bass is phat.

Vitalstatistix

So far we have

Full Rinse
Central Line
Tundra
Do You Know Squarepusher?
Come On My Selector
Squarewindow
Goodnight Jade
Journey to Reedham
My Sound
Beep Street
My Red Hot Car

Give it another week for more to trickle in then we can vote. Still missing some gems!

I'd like to vote for Iambic 5 Poetry and Ultravistor. I just have a thing for high pitch squealing.

purlieu

Tomorrow World and Don't Go Plastic.
I'm only not suggesting Iambic 5 Poetry as someone else already has.  And I'd really like to push for someone to suggest Song: Our Underwater Torch.  There's a kiss in it for you.

Dusty Gozongas

Probably not everyone's cuppa... Gong Acid please.

Robot DeNiro

I nominate 'Psultan Part 1' and...I haven't decided my second one yet. 

El Unicornio, mang

I nominate 'Iambic 5 Poetry' because it is gorgeous

Pepotamo1985

Iambic 5 Poetry needs to be on there, I think everyone can agree on that!