Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:15:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

A Royal Flush

Started by biggytitbo, September 17, 2010, 09:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

I've just watched the original version of what is probably the most controversial episode of only fools and horses ever. And yes it's incredibly depressing, it's sad, it's awkward. Yes Del is a horrible cunt in it. Yes it does the steptoe and son thing of exaggerating the boorishness of the lead characters to make a class point.  But it's quite clear that Del is incredibly drunk, he's full of self loathing and inadequacy, he's living an innate class warfare that he's been brought up with all his life. I think in the end it's easy to characterise this as a misfire from John Sullivan, when I think he's produced a work that' a lot more complicated than that and quite angry in many ways.

papalaz4444244

I think it's a well written episode.

But rather than being a misfire from Sullivan, I think it was just totally inappropriate for a Christmas special.

I can remember watching this with my whole family, expecting a cracking, hilarious comedy.... but instead it left everyone cold and rather puzzled and disappointed.

It works fine as a dramatic special but it was horrible on a Christmas Day.

biggytitbo

Yeah that's true, but it's a bit of a downer whenever its watched be honest. Its depressed me. Although, even though Del's behaviour is awful I think it's still possible to sympathise with him. Except the very last scene where he bullies rodney, that actually, for me, is what leaves the nasty taste in the mouth.

Ignatius_S

I remember on This Morning, Nina Myskow praised it during a phone-in, whilst (as far as I remember) every caller, who talked about the episode, criticised it. In particular, it was the dinner scene that drew the most ire – people really didn't seem to like the overwhelmingly cringing element.

Quote from: biggytitbo on September 17, 2010, 10:22:59 PM
... Although, even though Del's behaviour is awful I think it's still possible to sympathise with him. Except the very last scene where he bullies rodney, that actually, for me, is what leaves the nasty taste in the mouth.
Personally, I feel it's all true to form for Del – he can't just let his brother get on with the friendship, he has to interfere.

Although Del certainly has a strong belief in family ties, I would also say that there are more than a few episodes where he's shown to see Rodney as little more than a resource to exploit. All too often, his attitude is what's good for me, is good for the Trotters.

In Slow Bus to Chingford, Del gets Rodney to act as an unpaid night watchman so they can use a bus for free, so they can run a tour for tourists – naturally, he expects Rodney to be working in the day as the driver. On the pretence of keeping on eye on Rodney's girlfriend while he's working nights, Del starts taking her out. Earlier in the episode, Rodney looks like a sure thing with the girl, until Del turns up at the flat and ruins Rodney's chances, but not before taken the mickey out of Rodney and treated him like a little kid in front of the woman.

I would say more than a few jokes Del makes at Rodney's expense, in earlier series, are meant to belittle him and damage his self-confidence. Del can be an emotional bully – in A Royal Flush, when Del is callously squeezing Rodney's hand, arguably he's showing his true colours.

dust

I remember being so horrified by Del in it that I actually went off the programme as I (now) hated him so much.  It was never the same again after...