Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:11:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Why do the British have no social skills?

Started by Pinball, February 06, 2004, 09:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoverdonkey

Mmmmmm......23 Daves - I had a big old rant on the old board not so long ago about how any discussion about different cultures and places inevitably ends with people slagging off London and those that live there, which to be honest fucks me off rotten. It's just so fucking lazy to say that people up north are nice and friendly and those down south are miserable cunts who would sooner stab you than smile at you.

It's like saying the Germans have no sense of humour. How do you apply such generalisations to people? Anyway, I'm ranting again. And I do agree with you about having any sort of ambition.

I found it incredibly embarrassing trying to explain to mates and workmates that I wanted to set up a magazine and that I was really going to give it a go etc because I knew that inside they were thinking "Yeah like that's gonna work. The sad bastard. Dunno why he's bothering."

To be fair, some of them did give me loads of encouragement and said they admired me for giving it a go, but there is definitely a culture of envy about anyone with ambition in this country. Whether they are from London or not.

Not that I'm ambitious neccessarily - I just really enjoy doing it and if something comes of it - then great.

5 Knuckle Shuffle

Quote from: "The Unicorn"It is a bit silly. Like when you're in a shop, and you say "can I have 20 Marlboro Lights please?" why do we say please? Are they going to refuse to give us the cigarettes if we're not polite? And why are we asking? We're giving them the money, we should expect the product in return. It should just be "20 Marlboro Lights"....."That's 4pound70"...sorted.
Because my dear boy, they don't have to sell you anything. The shop is merely making an invitation to treat, which is not an offer of anything. When you ask for something in a shop, you're making an offer to buy it. They don't have to sell you anything. When I worked in a shop, if someone asked to buy something or try something on without saying please, then I wouldn't serve them. All it is is basic manners and respect for your fellow human being, it's not hard to adhere it to life in general. A transaction is a two way thing and I always said thank you when they bought something from my shop, why shouldn't they reciprocate the gesture for the service that I have provided them. After all, I don't have to sell them anything.

Pinball

Hear hear. Civility is the basis of civilisation. Without it - God help us.