Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:19:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Minecraft

Started by MALCOLM, September 21, 2010, 08:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MALCOLM

Anyone had a go of this?

minecraft.net

It's a bit of a mess at the moment, he's had so many problems with bandwidth, you can only download the exe and no sounds right now, but this is mightily impressive for what seems, upon opening, to be written for an Atari 800XL at best

But dig a little deeper, and it's fiendishly addictive

It's hard to describe really, a world of blocks and resources that you need to mine to combine to make all sorts of tools and objects.

The twist is that, as darkness falls, all manner of evils spawn and so you need a shelter to hide in, which as you build up experience will become a multi-storey house with windows, doors, torches for light etc

There's animals bobbing around too for you to harvest for, I dunno, or maybe keep in a pen for, I still dunno

This is really early days, and there is no multiplayer right now, but this is a fascinating little game

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minecraft

newbie guide
http://minecraftwiki.net/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=35905&sid=49cc175754243e3732dd21d023b9bc90

the developers blog
http://notch.tumblr.com/

I reckon this is right up George's street. Or at least  it would be if it wasn't running in ultra-high def graphics compared to his usual games

I've opted to build a house with two storeys with windows upstairs to peer at the zombies and a zombie catching hallway. They appear to burn up in the day if you catch one, generating......feathers it looks like

Koant

I've resisted the temptation so far. From what I've read, and you confirmed this, it's terribly addictive and a real time-sink. I think I'll enjoy it from a distance, watching videos players are making, like these two:
[noembed]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnjSWPxJxNs[/noembed]
[noembed]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv-FORwG2oo[/noembed]

MALCOLM

Holy shit, those are impressive, I haven't even scratched the surface

Incredible depth to this game considering how young it is

hpmons

I played it a bit last year, before they had loads of fancy stuff.  It is...kinda appealing, but I don't quite get why people rave about it so much. 

Quote from: MALCOLM on September 21, 2010, 08:18:12 PM
It's hard to describe really, a world of blocks and resources that you need to mine to combine to make all sorts of tools and objects.
I like it as a "designing pretty things" game, but it looks like they've added combat and combining items etc, which other games do much better.  Making tools and "survival" type things is done much better by Haven and Hearth[nb]In case you do click on that link, I should point out that that "trailer" is over a year old, and the game has so many more features now.  On the downside, it's one of the laggiest games I've ever played, which is why as much as I like the idea, I don't play it any more.[/nb] or Stranded 2[nb]I've been obsessed with that game for the last week[/nb] (the latter is a single player game, though there have been player efforts to make a two-player mod). Admittedly neither have the same creativity you get with Minecraft, and the vastness of it is impressive.  I haven't played the pay-for version, so perhaps it all works well.

Still Not George

Quote from: MALCOLM on September 21, 2010, 08:18:12 PMI reckon this is right up George's street. Or at least  it would be if it wasn't running in ultra-high def graphics compared to his usual games
Whatchoo talkin' bout, I bin on the Minecraft tip fo' weeks, yo.

(That actually physically hurt to type, I hope you're happy.)

The actual crafting/building simulation type play is vastly inferior to Dwarf Fortress, but it's really quite good fun in it's own way. The whole "zombies come out at night" thing makes the game, really; it'd get boring very quickly if you didn't have to hide underground/indoors half the time.

Once Notch gets the authentication working again, would people like to get a CaB multiplayer Minecraft server running? We could build giant stone cocks and mod the zombies to look like Gervais.

MALCOLM

Quote from: Still Not George on September 21, 2010, 11:45:00 PM
The whole "zombies come out at night" thing makes the game, really; it'd get boring very quickly if you didn't have to hide underground/indoors half the time.

Yes exactly, the sun falls quickly, so you always find yourself dashing back to the surface of your mine to see what time it is. It's this constant ticking timer that makes the game.

Quote from: Still Not George on September 21, 2010, 11:45:00 PM
Once Notch gets the authentication working again, would people like to get a CaB multiplayer Minecraft server running?

Yes!

Big Jack McBastard

Christ I need to get my eyes tested, I was positive the title said Mircosoft....

Still Not George

Quote from: MALCOLM on September 22, 2010, 05:33:29 AMYes!
Anyone got access to a server we could use? I currently have nothng permanent.

Still Not George

As an aside, Notch has thus far made 2 million Euros from this thing. All straight to him, with no bloody publisher eating 60%, and all for an alpha which became popular mostly off the back of someone else's donationware project. I am FIENDISHLY jealous.

MALCOLM

Quote from: Still Not George on September 22, 2010, 07:26:26 PM
Anyone got access to a server we could use? I currently have nothng permanent.

I can probably come up with something, I'll find out the requirements.

2 mill, wow, fair play to the guy. He got 10 of my finest euros today.

It's great as it is, hopefully it has a long and illustrious future ahead of it. Kind've exciting to be aware of it so early on.

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: Still Not George on September 22, 2010, 07:28:00 PM
As an aside, Notch has thus far made 2 million Euros from this thing. All straight to him, with no bloody publisher eating 60%, and all for an alpha which became popular mostly off the back of someone else's donationware project. I am FIENDISHLY jealous.

I'm pretty sure he posted something about Swedish tax taking a nice big chunk of his income, as well as PayPal acting like greedy cunts and taking their cut as well as holding a percentage to scrape some interest.

Still Not George

Quote from: Slaaaaabs on September 24, 2010, 04:57:28 PM
I'm pretty sure he posted something about Swedish tax taking a nice big chunk of his income, as well as PayPal acting like greedy cunts and taking their cut as well as holding a percentage to scrape some interest.
Still better than losing 60% to a bloated moneysack before taxes.

Puffin Chunks

I hate you for bringing this game to my attention. My time has been spent on little else recently.

Did anyone get anywhere with locating a server of sorts? I'm definitely up for a CaB multiplayer.

Still Not George

Bumping this 'un. The Beta recently came out and adds most Survival functionality to multiplayer - damage, death, monsters etc. (About the only major thing still not working is minecarts.)

So, does anyone have access to a server we can run this thing on? A CaB Minecraft server would surely be a work of beauty.

jimmy jazz

Man I'd love that, after a break from playing it over the Christmas period I've just got back into it and my symmetrical, obsessive-compulsive mines are a thing to behold. This really is an amazing little game, if something of a timesink, and the HD texture packs are gorgeous.

Zero Gravitas

Strange, I've just given this a go and my account seems to not be premium any more, are they only temporary or is this a bug others are having?

Oh also, the next Mojang game: http://www.scrolls.com/

Still Not George

No such problem here.

Zero Gravitas

Hmm, apparently it's quite widespread but the support of a company with Mojang's turnover the size of Mojang the size and priorities of Mojang is pretty poor.

fearofmusic

Is a CaB Minecraft server still a desirable thing? I have an instance I am testing the water with if there is interest.

If so give me a shout.

Puffin Chunks

I haven't played Minecraft for a few builds now (it runs like shit on my computer, unfortunately). If a CaB server was to pop up though, I'd certainly be tempted to give it another pop.

Has any of the code been optimised yet? I only have Intel integrated gfx, but it really should run ok.

Still Not George

<deflounce>

Quote from: fearofmusic on March 19, 2011, 04:47:21 PM
Is a CaB Minecraft server still a desirable thing? I have an instance I am testing the water with if there is interest.

If so give me a shout.
I'd be up for it, certainly. My local gaming club's SMP server has kinda died out.

Quote from: Puffin Chunks on March 20, 2011, 02:58:02 AM
I haven't played Minecraft for a few builds now (it runs like shit on my computer, unfortunately). If a CaB server was to pop up though, I'd certainly be tempted to give it another pop.

Has any of the code been optimised yet?
Of course not! That would mean Notch actually updating his code rather than giving interviews and filling his new swimming pool with $5 notes. But running with graphics set to "Fast" and Normal or Short rendering distance should help a bit.

</deflounce>

Zero Gravitas

^also tapping F to turn off fog is a huge FPS improvement.

fearofmusic

Well for what it's worth there is a server up at the address silvereye.co.uk for those interested. Open to all at the moment but not a lot there at the moment beyond me cowering in a hole in my shitty wooden shelter.

Plus the fact minecraft.net is down at the moment, forsing me to instead do something worthwhile with my Sunday evening.

Zetetic

Bugger, minecraft.net appears to be down again...

fearofmusic

I am new to this but this does seem to be a disconcertingly regular occurrence.

Puffin Chunks

Does it matter that it's down? Just download the standalone version... or does the Minecraft.net server need to be up to access multiplayer?

Jumped on to the server for a few seconds last night. Going to try to actually start building a shelter tonight.

Zetetic

Yeah, you need to have Minecraft.net be running to be recognised as a paid up user, to be allowed to play multiplayer (or so it seems.)

At the moment mine's crashing on either SP or MP. Might see if it's any more stable under Windows.

Puffin Chunks

Sorry to whoever's shelter it is I managed to trash. I spawned in the dark, ran towards the light to find some shelter then got completely owned by 3 creeps who all blew up in close proximity to me. Carnage. I haven't been back to inspect the damage, but I fear your home has been ruined! I'm going to try to head over to fix it up a bit

fearofmusic

Quote from: Puffin Chunks on March 22, 2011, 08:04:17 AM
Sorry to whoever's shelter it is I managed to trash.

My beach house!!!

Don't worry about the destruction. I think I left a few creeper holes in there already from an foolish night time outdoor expedition. If you follow the torch trail in the other direction you should find Zetetic's much nicer stone shelter.

Puffin Chunks

It's creeper central out there at the moment! I've fashioned myself an underground bunker, but I'm too scared to leave as those green bastards always seem to get the drop on me!