Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:25:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Minecraft

Started by MALCOLM, September 21, 2010, 08:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero Gravitas

There are a few clones about but http://celeron.55.lt/minetest/index.php is a rather nice free one, slightly clunky in the chunk loading still (in fact I'm not sure why seemingly the same chunking mechanism is being use when Irrlicht has a perfectly good octree scene manager) but fun nonetheless and FAST, or at least faster than java.

fearofmusic

For those who still like to pop on the server from time to time, casually stroll the fields and perhaps even look wistfully at a constructed phallus on top of a mountain. It is now accessable with the 1.8 update by including the port number:

silvereye.co.uk:25566

With 1.8 you can now starve to death. Ah... starvation, second only to weapon degradation when it comes to "great game mechanics of our times".

Exit

Quote from: fearofmusic on September 15, 2011, 01:37:00 AM
For those who still like to pop on the server from time to time, casually stroll the fields and perhaps even look wistfully at a constructed phallus on top of a mountain. It is now accessable with the 1.8 update by including the port number:

silvereye.co.uk:25566

With 1.8 you can now starve to death. Ah... starvation, second only to weapon degradation when it comes to "great game mechanics of our times".

Explorers might also enjoy seeking out the many instances of the word 'TIT' that now festoon the landscape.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Exit

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on September 19, 2011, 05:37:20 PM
I did the first!

Inspired by your creativity, I added around twenty or so further tits in various media.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

I feel honoured with your dedication to spreading the TIT message.

Jobey

I am so intrigued by this game, plus I can play it on a mac, at work.
Is it worth the hefty pricetag or can I steal it somewhere?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Jobey on November 29, 2011, 11:42:20 AM
I am so intrigued by this game, plus I can play it on a mac, at work.
Is it worth the hefty pricetag or can I steal it somewhere?

Well, it's been getting incredibly good reviews, rave feedback from players and is reported to have fantastic long-term appeal, so on that basis £16.95 doesn't sound "hefty" to me.

Jobey

It does if you are broke and tight.
But I'll probably just buy it next month.
It seems so endearingly retarded.

Ignatius_S

I know that feeling all too well (mainly the tightness), but it does look like great value for money and it is an indie game – btw, it's meant to be a fabulous game to play at work.

Jobey

Something bugs me about spending 16 quid on a 50 meg game.
I wish I was Mark Zuckerberg.
The pleasure I will gain from dossing at work on this makes it worth it financially though.

Ignatius_S

Yeah, I know what you mean about that – and that contributed a fair bit to my gut reaction when I found out the actual pricing. But as I say, great value for money... and the playing at work is surely the cherry on the icing!

Neomod

I want to get this for my laptop but need clarification on specs. I think I'm ok looking at their recommended requirements apart from in the graphics area. I have 'mobile intel 4 series express chipset family' intergrated graphics. Is this going to be ok as it says on the site
Quote(Note: Newer Integrated Intel video cards, from 2008 on, may not run smoothly)
?

Morrison Lard

My laptop's an old knacker and it used to run Minecraft with no probs at all.
(2Gb RAM, dual-core 1.6Ghz CPU, onboard ATI Radeon GFX)

I've not played the game for about a year though so maybe it's all souped up now and I'd be shit out of luck.

Neomod

That site doesn't list it unfortunately Mook but thanks.

My laptop is 4GB RAM, Dual-core 2.3Ghz which looks ok it's the graphics I'm worried about as there's no point playing it if it looks shit.

Just realised I have no trouble with ACE of SPADES which is similar or is it?

Morrison Lard

Maybe t*rrent it and try it out first?

I'm guessing your laptop will be able to handle it easily.

I've just fired it up, updated it and ran it with the graphics options all on full-whack and it was fine.
(There's quite a few graphics options by the looks of it if you do need to tone it down a notch)

mikeyg27

Is there still a CaB server? I've just realised I've never tried out the multiplayer portion and wouldn't mind giving it a shot. I tried linking to that up there but it didn't want to connect.

Neomod

Oh dear. I'm a bit addicted to this.

Hangthebuggers

Quote from: mikeyg27 on May 18, 2012, 01:44:23 PM
Is there still a CaB server? I've just realised I've never tried out the multiplayer portion and wouldn't mind giving it a shot. I tried linking to that up there but it didn't want to connect.

I'd second a CAB server.

Anyone?

Morrison Lard

Never done the multiplayer on Minecraft but I'd definitely  be up for it,
no idea how to go about setting up a server or owt though

Neomod

Is it me or is there a flaw in this that unless you build on the spawn point you will never find that building again? It's happened to me twice, the second time I'd used the bed thinking that this would be my new spawn point. When I inevitably got killed I got a message saying there was something in the way of the bed so back to the original spawn point. Doh!

When you make a map will your building appear on it because what's the point of exploring otherwise?

KLG-7A

Usually your bed won't be blocked.

MojoJojo

From my limited experience, one of the main "skills" is being able to find your way home.
I have no sense of direction though, and have problems with this in most games.

Building a massive tower near your base seems quite a common thing in minecraft though.

Hangthebuggers

Quote from: Neomod on May 20, 2012, 07:29:43 PM
Is it me or is there a flaw in this that unless you build on the spawn point you will never find that building again? It's happened to me twice, the second time I'd used the bed thinking that this would be my new spawn point. When I inevitably got killed I got a message saying there was something in the way of the bed so back to the original spawn point. Doh!

Never heard of that. Before you have a map or bed, use F3 to check your coordinates. Build anywhere and just note your coords, voila you can always find it.

QuoteWhen you make a map will your building appear on it because what's the point of exploring otherwise?

Yes although I don't think it updates if you expand your creations, it's registers the image of the terrain based on the time you make the map (I think)

mook

just wondering if anyone else is having hassles with minecraft 1.2.5 crashing the morning after the first night? i've just got my laptop back from the fixers and i'm not sure if it's the pc acting up again or the game. i'm fairly sure the laptop should be up to the job, it's an lenovo i3 with 8gb of ram. i've had a bit of a google, but the techy speak involving minecraft flies right over my little old head in most part.

oh, i should add, minecraft was working fine on the machine before i had to take it back to the store to replace the motherboard.

ta...

Hangthebuggers

Quote from: mook on May 31, 2012, 10:11:53 AM
just wondering if anyone else is having hassles with minecraft 1.2.5 crashing the morning after the first night? i've just got my laptop back from the fixers and i'm not sure if it's the pc acting up again or the game. i'm fairly sure the laptop should be up to the job, it's an lenovo i3 with 8gb of ram. i've had a bit of a google, but the techy speak involving minecraft flies right over my little old head in most part.

oh, i should add, minecraft was working fine on the machine before i had to take it back to the store to replace the motherboard.

ta...

Possibly update your Java setting? http://www.java.com/en/download/help/java_update.xml

Failing that - try and turn your graphics settings down and check any background software isn't running.

mook

ta for that. seems it was java, now i've got the 64bit version it's working a treat.

Right, lost all my stuff in a cave again so that'll be me not playing it for a few months.

Why the fuck doesn't eating bring your health meter back up?? Fuck you Notch.

Neomod

I'm not sure I'm playing the latest version but when I eat myself full as it were, my health regenerates.