Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:32:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"Dubstep is shite" says Seal: when artists slag off musical genres

Started by DJ One Record, September 25, 2010, 09:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ One Record

Apparently, the fact that consistently down-with-the-kids British soul artist Seal doesn't like dubstep is nothing short of newsworthy:

http://www.inthemix.com.au/news/intl/48093/Dubstep_is_shiteaccording_to_Seal

But can you name any other memorable examples of well known artists proclaiming their disdain for certain musical genres?[nb]10 points to whoever gets the Morrissey one out of the way first.[/nb]

StoatStoatKestrel

Richard D. James doesn't like rock? Or anything he didn't make.

massive bereavement

Beatle George regularly slagged off contemporary music, all genres, but he always was a miserable sod.

Subtle Mocking

Morrissey constantly slags off the Arctic Monkeys, but sings the praises of the fucking Courteeners?[nb]What do I win?[/nb]

quadraspazzed

Not genre specific, but Richey Edwards reportedly once said "we'll always hate Slowdive more than we hate Hitler".

DJ One Record

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on September 25, 2010, 09:38:09 PM
Morrissey constantly slags off the Arctic Monkeys, but sings the praises of the fucking Courteeners?[nb]What do I win?[/nb]

Oh really? Interesting, but no...

There's a far more infamous example of Morrissey slagging off an entire musical genre.

Subtle Mocking

non capisco

'Reggae is vile'. Give me my points!

Didn't Prince once say he thought all hip hop was shit (I think one of the tracks on 'The Black Album' bangs on about it), before having that really terrible rapper in his New Power Generation band.

DJ One Record

Quote from: non capisco on September 25, 2010, 10:07:45 PM
'Reggae is vile'. Give me my points!

10 points to you.

Google seems a bit coy about where exactly Morrissey said this though. Does anyone know the exact context?

Subtle Mocking

Could've been NME, considering "he later explained that this was a tongue-in-cheek answer to "wind up the right-on 1980s NME" and that he grew up partly on the classic singles released by the British reggae label Trojan in the early to mid-1970s."

Serge

On the basis of his reggae'd up cover of 'Redondo Beach' a few years ago, I'd say he hates reggae.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: StoatStoatKestrel on September 25, 2010, 09:26:18 PM
Richard D. James doesn't like rock? Or anything he didn't make.

Heh. When asked once why he didn't want to go on tour supporting Radiohead, he said "touring round the country doing the same thing every night is bad enough, let alone when it's with a band you don't even like."

Fair play really. Regardless of the fact that I like both artists, seeing Aphex open for Radiohead would be a bit of a moodfuck. It's like when The Locust opened for Yeah Yeah Yeahs - I know the guitarist is in a supergroup with members if The Locust, but come on... I'm not surprised they got abuse and physical items hurled at them, the poor sods.

Famous Mortimer

And he started making music (Aphex) as a response to his sister's Jesus And Mary Chain records, if the old interviews are to be believed.

SavageHedgehog

Not a musician, but according to his IMBD profile Richard Dreyfuss "has a great dislike for rock music". That's right; Mr. Holland's Opus was a sham!

I find the idea of Seal saying "crap" and "shite" somewhat amusing.

NoSleep

Cliff Richard claimed that anybody could rap, but I don't recall that he ever wrote a single lyric for himself.

Phil_A

I seem to remember one of the idiots from Kula Shaker(possibly the idiot keyboard player) in an early interview claiming that all eighties music was worthless because rap and drum machines were invented. Twat.

Custard

Kelly Jones once dismissed every dance track ever made, as "it's not real music if you can't play it sat with just an acoustic guitar"

I hate Kelly Jones, and would like to repeatedly punch his tiny face to the beat of Renegade Master.

DJ One Record

Quote from: Shameless on September 26, 2010, 04:45:09 PM
Kelly Jones once dismissed every dance track ever made, as "it's not real music if you can't play it sat with just an acoustic guitar"

What about with a piano?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs_Hi2l2Nls&feature=related

Dead kate moss

All we wanna do is have a good time
Then you went and took our house away
No-one ever asked for our opinion
No, no, we don't get a say

AM, FM, all that jazz
We'd rather sing along with Yazz
What happened to the radio?
They never play the songs we know

Golden oldies, Rolling Stones, we don't want them back
I'd rather jack than Fleetwood Mac
No heavy metal, rock'n'roll, music from the past

I'd rather jack

Can't they see that every generation
Has music for its own identity?
But why the DJ on the radio station
Is always more than twice the age of me?

Who needs Pink Floyd, Dire Straits?
That's not our music, it's out of date
Demographic stereo
They never play the songs we know

Golden oldies, Rolling Stones, we don't want them back
No heavy metal, rock'n'roll, music from the past

I'd rather jack, I'd rather jack

NoSleep

That's a song written by three old men who probably quite liked all those acts that are hardly slagged off at all.

Artemis

Brundle-Fly

Elvis Costello described dance singles as buses. "Don't worry if you miss one as another three will be along in a minute".

Lemmy said Nu-Metal wasn't proper rock'n'roll.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteI'd rather jack, I'd rather jack

Oh thanks! That's lovely!

Gorbachev fucking hated gabba. But these days he's got into it a bit more.