Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:45:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Who Was First Choice For Which Part?....

Started by Jake Thingray, September 27, 2010, 04:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake Thingray

http://www.crawleyscastingcalls.com/

This site is a thoroughly pleasant way to waste an afternoon or so, detailing which actors turned down which film, and who replaced them. Tony Crawley is a film journalist who's been going for decades, I recall seeing his name in STARBURST and later, in pervy mags where he always seemed to be interviewing Nastassja Kinski.

Jemble Fred

Gah – I was hoping that might confirm or deny the 'Timon & Pumbaa were created for Vic & Bob' rumour, but neither of them are even listed.

Serge

Pah! No mention of Bernard Cribbins being offered the part of the fourth Doctor!

Mister Six

Jake Thingray

Much as I hate that thing, surely the comedic possibilities considered before Tom (in an alternate universe, I would have created a comedy show narrated by Dennis Waterman in which a running gag would be Baker doing his usual scarf-flinging showing-off, coming home drunk and attempting to prepare sausages, accidentally cutting off his penis and exclaiming his catchphrase "Mwaah-hah!! BAI JOVE, K-9!!!") Baker were Michael Bentine, Michael Crawford, Jim Dale, Graham Crowden and Richard 'Mr. Pastry' Hearne. Anyway, there is some stuff about "the show" as silly Whovians call it, implying no other show exists, on there. In the James Bond section, Crawley's comments about Roger Moore are delightful, a reminder Moore was regarded as a joke for years, something present-day geeks have mysteriously overlooked in their researches.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Jake Thingray on September 27, 2010, 06:32:16 PM
Anyway, there is some stuff about "the show" as silly Whovians call it, implying no other show exists, on there. In the James Bond section, Crawley's comments about Roger Moore are delightful, a reminder Moore was regarded as a joke for years, something present-day geeks have mysteriously overlooked in their researches.

Do those "present-day geeks" exist, by the way? Stop stirring shit for no reason.

Jake Thingray

Google the name Jonathan Sothcott. Also, I was accused of being part of "the PC brigade" on either the Mausoleum Club or Roobarb forums for saying that RM is a Tory's idea of a good actor.

Ginyard

I never knew Harrison Ford was considered for the part of Dr Who. That was a bigger WTF moment than seeing Lionel Ritchie in a Walkers advert.

GET OFF MY TARDIS!

Icehaven

Robert Downey Jnr's drug problems might have saved his career. They stopped him being in Basic Instinct 2, America's Sweethearts, Wild Things and Hollow Man. Prior to that he was also apparently considered for Ferris Bueller, Edward Scissorhands (!) and To Wong Foo. (No) no and no. 

edit; actually the more I think about it the more I can see really see him as Ferris.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Jake Thingray on September 27, 2010, 08:13:43 PM
Google the name Jonathan Sothcott. Also, I was accused of being part of "the PC brigade" on either the Mausoleum Club or Roobarb forums for saying that RM is a Tory's idea of a good actor.

Sothcott sounds like a no-mark cunt to me, but still seems to have earned a page in your Big Book of Grievances. Anyway, I wouldn't pay any attention to the lower orders on MC or Roobarb's. Some of them are as mental as you.

Jake Thingray

Sothcott now produces unwatchable films, but deserved his page for claiming, without any irony, that Moore is a better actor than Sean Connery, that "his style of romantic comedy has never been bettered", and that calling him wooden is "trendy and ignorant". Incidentally, the all-time worst geek comment, as far as I'm concerned, was on a forum I no longer bother with where one creep complained the selection of names honoured for ITV's 50th anniversary was "a farce - honouring people like Peter Cook". This from someone who worships the likes of Paul Darrow and Sylvester McCoy.
'Mental' is not a bad phrase to describe those who take silly sci-fi seriously but sneer at TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY; I may not like them sneering at THE SWEENEY etc., but I can see why they do, why sneer at something so universally well regarded? Not enough lines like "No, not the mind probe!" or "So, we meet again, Time Lord" for them, I suppose.

Tiny Poster

You really need to find more interesting people to be annoyed by.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Jake Thingray on September 28, 2010, 12:26:54 AM
'Mental' is not a bad phrase to describe those who take silly sci-fi seriously but sneer at TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY; I may not like them sneering at THE SWEENEY etc., but I can see why they do, why sneer at something so universally well regarded?

So basically everything we should like or dislike from the past has already been decided for us by critical conscensus? Well this will save time I guess.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: icehaven on September 27, 2010, 09:41:46 PM
Robert Downey Jnr's drug problems might have saved his career.   

edit; actually the more I think about it the more I can see really see him as Ferris.

Hell yes, As much as I love war games and FBDO Broderick kinda stinks them up.

Jake Thingray

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on September 28, 2010, 07:59:47 PM
So basically everything we should like or dislike from the past has already been decided for us by critical conscensus? Well this will save time I guess.

But there should be some consideration given to what actually meant something artistically, instead of dismissing anything that doesn't contain people running down polystyrene corridors pretending to be from outer space. Otherwise the barbarians are at the gates, and wearing anoraks.

And a scarf their mum knitted them, so they can prat around going "MWAH-HAH!! BAI JOVE, K-9!!!"

Cohaagen

My mate Stu and I always cheer when we see the back of James Remar's head in Aliens.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Jake Thingray on September 29, 2010, 09:59:04 PM
But there should be some consideration given to what actually meant something artistically, instead of dismissing anything that doesn't contain people running down polystyrene corridors pretending to be from outer space.

If you're going for a serious critical analysis, sure. If you're just posting on a forum as a means of expressing and discussing your own personal interests, not really.

Jake Thingray

Okay. Although I do wish such fanboys would realise not everyone likes Who, the forum I mentioned giving up on earlier was devoted to THE AVENGERS, a series I still enjoy, but the posters on there bent over backwards trying to link it to DOCTOR WHO at every possible occasion, when they're very different.

SavageHedgehog

It does seem amazing to that pretty much everyone on any UK-Based forum related to or tangentially related to film and telly is a big Who fan. But then I guess having had my childhood when, McGann aside, it wasn't being made I'm not likely to fully understand.

Icehaven

I don't like Dr. Who at all. David Tennant is a fine piece of ass but not enough to make me watch it.