Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,396
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:12:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Why has my autofocus gone mental?

Started by Ronnie the Raincoat, September 27, 2010, 10:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronnie the Raincoat

I have searched google, now I turn to whores.

I have a Canon 450D and for some reason, the red AF points have disappeared.  It's not a low battery or anything like that, and it's not on manual focus.  It's also not the lens, as I've tried two different ones.  It occasionally flashes up, but much dimmer, like half the brightness, and doesn't stay on.  It also isn't focusing well at all and most of my photos are coming out badly focused.

Any ideas?

Cerys

Blumf

Some guesses:

Is this in all shooting modes?
Are you 100%, no go check again, sure you haven't gone into select focal point mode?
Check the AF switch on the lens(es)

Personally I've had no end of problem with Canon's autofocus. Never works properly, always goes off and cycles through the whole range of focus before landing on something that clearly isn't relevant to the shot.

Zero Gravitas

You haven't got the focus set to use just one of the of the edge points have you?

sproggy

Or nearest subject, which BTW is fucking rubbish.

Ronnie the Raincoat

It's in all shooting modes, on all lenses, it's switched to AF, and it's on all AF points.  But other AF points other than the bloody central one seem to not be working.  When I select a different one, it doesn't work at all.

Ignatius_S

Have you checked the mirror? I think if that gets dirty, it can cause similar problems.

Also, although you've tried two lenses, it might be worth checking the conection areas between them and the camera - it's a bit of a longshot, but I think dirty connections can cause AF problems.