Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:46:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Coens show True Grit

Started by boxofslice, September 28, 2010, 03:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boxofslice

Trailer for their remake of the John Wayne 'classic' due here early next year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uco41pOKeJg

First thing to say is, from that short trailer Roger Deakins looks to have done another superb job.

From what I can remember of the original it was a slightly jokey affair with a somewhat hammy performance from The Duke but this looks like a more serious take on the story.

Looking forward to Bridges give the shout of, "Fill your hand you son of a bitch!"

Jemble Fred

Quote from: boxofslice on September 28, 2010, 03:42:27 PM
Trailer for their remake of the John Wayne 'classic' due here early next year.

Sorry, but pedant alert – they're both adaptations of the same book (this new version being much closer to the original story). Obviously most people are going to see it as a 'remake' (including my Dad, he might have a heart attack about it), but it's literally not.

It just seems to be a distinction worth making. 'Remake' being such an incendiary word and so on...

Ignatius_S

Quote from: boxofslice on September 28, 2010, 03:42:27 PM
...First thing to say is, from that short trailer Roger Deakins looks to have done another superb job.

From what I can remember of the original it was a slightly jokey affair with a somewhat hammy performance from The Duke but this looks like a more serious take on the story.

Looking forward to Bridges give the shout of, "Fill your hand you son of a bitch!"
It has been argued – and I think a lot of people see it as this - that Wayne's performance was intended to be a very clear nod to Wallace Berry, so meant to be rather over the top. True Grit was one of the last old style westerns and I think that's why people might see it as being 'jokey' – it hasn't aged as well as other Wayne films.

This new version is meant to be a lot closer to the book, according to the Coens, so there should be less emphasis on the Cogburn character.

boxofslice

Quote from: Jemble Fred on September 28, 2010, 03:55:42 PM
Sorry, but pedant alert – they're both adaptations of the same book (this new version being much closer to the original story). Obviously most people are going to see it as a 'remake' (including my Dad, he might have a heart attack about it), but it's literally not.

It just seems to be a distinction worth making. 'Remake' being such an incendiary word and so on...

I did not know that.

Mister Six

Another pedantic comment - remove the apostrophe from the thread title while you can still edit the post! Otherwise it looks like you're talking about a TV show run by a man named 'The Coen'.

Famous Mortimer

Actually looks decent, this. Well done that trailer person!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The trailer has a strange rhythm to it. Still, I'm hopeful for this.