Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 06:21:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Apprentice (Series 6)

Started by Ja'moke, September 28, 2010, 04:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dead kate moss

The book thing was badly designed, but come up with a better beach product that doesn't already exist. I can't.

DuncanC

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: mycroft on October 13, 2010, 09:37:43 PM
Or the portable gym thing from last year that looked like a hollowed out telly?

Ha, I take it back. That was an incredible product.

mycroft

George Oscar Bluth II

"I've got more to give and more to learn" < I believe they call that the Sophocles defence.

mycroft

Ooooh! I liked the way the two boardroom survivors left without even acknowledging the lady who was fired. Proper bitchy.

Blue Jam

Awww, I missed Raleigh. On You're Fired now he's coming across as a bloody nice bloke.

mycroft

mini goatbix

The eyes of the female project manager were far too blue, she looked like a baddie in Dynasty, it meant I couldn't take her seriously, I kept waiting for her to slap someone then pout breathlessly.

TIAL

How the heck did the team leader not go for refusing an exclusivity deal with Boots? That's much worse than being slightly quiet.

Jake Thingray

I quite fancy that one who looks like one of the Pipettes playing Sue Perkins.

small_world

Yeah, I thought that was a strange selection. I thought it was fairly obvious that their team leader (Laura?) was out. As for the other one, (the one who came up with the idea) although she was loud, I thought she had to be. No one was listening to her. And she was the only person who put any original product ideas forward.
A shock exit for
Spoiler alert
? (was it Joy?)
[close]
as she wasn't named the first time to be taken back into the boardroom.

That blonde girl, who was so OTT last week seemed a bit quieter this one. However she was using words that were far too long for her. That little presentation was terrible. I hope they play on that theme more in the future...

small_world

Ah yeah and the girls looked awesome.
That really skinny one is probably my favourite but this weeks ladies team leader is also nice, she looks like a cat.

Viero_Berlotti

I can't believe that the people from Boots actually liked the book holder idea. It was completely useless, as shit as it was at least the towel bag combo actually had some use. The book thing would have just fallen apart in an even slightly stiff breeze.

Ambient Sheep

I actually thought the towel thing was a great idea and would buy one myself if I ever went near a beach.

thugler

Attractive young girl with ridiculous HYPER BLUE contact lenses who totally fucked up the task by turning down exclusivity, making everything else, including the product irrelevant... doesn't get fired.

Pan faced older woman who barely does anything but apologises for saying things a few times. FIRED!!!!!!!!!!!

Hate this show.

"you said in your cv that you are 'incredibly intelligent and the best leader of people ever to live'" "yes I am".

FUCKS SAKE.

I don't know why I watch this, cunt after cunt after cunt.

Blue Jam

Doesn't everyone on The Apprentice appear to have unnaturally blue eyes? I thought it was due to some form of post-production used on the boardroom scenes.

alcoholic messiah

Bah. It's no fun when almost all the contestants are rubbish. Hubris only provides so much entertainment[nb]Oh, all right then. It's endlessly entertaining.[/nb].

Stella's the only one so far who has neither slipped under the radar, nor shown themself to be completely unqualified for a serious position in a sizable company. It's only two episodes in, but she's one of the most impressive candidates I think they've ever had.

Both of the pitches were truly dire. If the predominantly male team had lost, I would have loved to have seen Stella ripping into Chris(?)'s presentation skills in the boardroom. It was probably a trick of the editing, but it seemed like neither of the teams concentrated on explaining what their product was / how it functioned / why it was useful, preferring instead to express what a paradigm shift in consumer happiness and "comfortability" we were in store for, now that the age of the beach towel was ultimately dead.

The towel thing was actually a half-decent idea, and the initial suggestion of calling it a "cul" would have played well in the French market.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: alcoholic messiah on October 14, 2010, 09:42:34 AMBoth of the pitches were truly dire. If the predominantly male team had lost, I would have loved to have seen Stella ripping into Chris(?)'s presentation skills in the boardroom.

Yeah, I thought Jason had been given the gig halfway through; I was very surprised to see Chris rock up to do it, having not improved a jot.  If the boys had lost, that single decision would probably have been to blame: I think they would have shifted a lot more than a hundred units with a decent pitch.

Quote from: alcoholic messiah on October 14, 2010, 09:42:34 AMIt was probably a trick of the editing, but it seemed like neither of the teams concentrated on explaining what their product was / how it functioned / why it was useful, preferring instead to express what a paradigm shift in consumer happiness and "comfortability" we were in store for, now that the age of the beach towel was ultimately dead.

Exactly.  I just couldn't fucking believe it when one of the shop-people asked the boys "So, briefly, what's the USP of this product?", and instead of them just saying "Easy - you can keep your cold stuff inside the heat-insulating pillow!", they came out with reams and reams of mumbly waffle along the lines of what you just said.  Hell, I'm not a salesman, but even I could pitch better than that!  (And have done when pushed, at technical exhibitions in the past.)

I think it was a really great product, with a slightly crap name, and seriously shit pitching.

Although the girls' product was a bit crap (those things have been tried, and never work), I think the prototyping firm let them down a bit with the execution.

Utter Shit

I caught a glimpse of this there yesterday. One of the girls is unfeasibly hot.

The names of the two groups are bordering on the self-parody at this point, aren't they?

small_world

I agree that there is a gap in the market for something to help the sun worshipper to read a good book while on the beach.
There is the problem that, if you are lying on your back, you have to hold the book over your head thus blocking the sun from your face.
If they had only watched the film "The Bucket List" they would have seen these amazing things and surely swept to victory...

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 14, 2010, 01:10:22 AM
Doesn't everyone on The Apprentice appear to have unnaturally blue eyes? I thought it was due to some form of post-production used on the boardroom scenes.

Someone else noticed! It's incredibly distracting isn't it? Very very light blue eyes.

She should've been sent packing for playing hardball with Boots.

I also feel sorry for all women out there for the set of cunts embarrassing themselves on the show right now.

alcoholic messiah

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on October 14, 2010, 11:35:49 AM
...I was very surprised to see Chris rock up to do it...

"You got two types of beach accessories out there: Cuulis and towels. And the towels have got to go. Yeah, that's right, I said it! I said it!"

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on October 14, 2010, 11:35:49 AM
"Easy - you can keep your cold stuff inside the heat-insulating pillow!"
Spot on. It pretty much sells itself if you're capable of describing what it does: it's a towel, it's a pillow, it's a bag, it's a cooler, and it's light.

Uncle TechTip

I don't understand why the mess-up over exclusivity was such a concern. Maybe she thought she shouldn't take it, and in the real world she'd be able to negotiate a better deal with another supplier. I bet she thought that whichever way she went, LordAlan would find something to moan about. After all like she said in the pitch, it's not as if it's a real product, or rather "we are at consultancy stage".

That's not to say she wasn't incompetent, with all that failing to lead a team rubbish - everyone's talking over each other so I'm off to have a little cry. And did I really hear her say, "that idea's not hugging me at the moment"?

Really feels like cookie-cutter TV now, we've had the making a foodstuff and pitching a product designed in forty minutes, and next week it's the bakery.

vrailaine

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on October 13, 2010, 09:30:33 PM
What about the cardboard camping equipment from Junior Apprentice?
Wow.

What was wrong with refusing exclusivity, presumably it's okay to have a think about things like that in a real world environment?

Dead kate moss

Umlauts are cool though...

I was also surprised when the rubbish pitcher got to do the pitch, and was even rubbisher than expected. 'He's walking along looking cool...' 'He just looks like a man with a towel.'

Bingo Fury

Quote from: TIAL on October 13, 2010, 10:24:01 PM
How the heck did the team leader not go for refusing an exclusivity deal with Boots? That's much worse than being slightly quiet.

I'm not a regular Apprentice viewer and got totally the wrong idea when I watched it last night. The rationale I worked up was that whoever was team leader that week was exempt from being fired, but had to nominate two of her team to face the chop. I couldn't see any other reason why Sugar didn't at any point seem to be contemplating sacking her after the "exclusivity" fuck-up.

Captain Crunch

So how would the correct pronunciation go then - co-oo-oo-ley?

And someone needs to get a lexicon going for this series, comfortability for example.

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: vrailaine on October 14, 2010, 04:33:04 PM
What was wrong with refusing exclusivity, presumably it's okay to have a think about things like that in a real world environment?

It wasn't a real world environment though, it was a task that was ending that day, it wasn't like the were carrying on with it for another week or something. I think you could argue that it could possibly represent a scenario that would play out in the real world though. Sometimes you get a chance to think things through, sometimes you don't and a decision needs to be made on the hoof. That's what these tasks are for, seeing how people perform under pressure. She clearly didn't have 100% confidence in the product, but by a stroke of luck representatives from a large national chain store offered her an exclusivity deal, she should have bitten off their hands and then spewed them up in front of the Alan Sugar in the boardroom.

I think the reason the project manager didn't go was that the other woman showed too much weakness in the boardroom. Although I think the project manager showed an equal amount of weakness herself when she flip-flopped about which two people she was taking into the boardroom with her.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on October 14, 2010, 01:19:34 PM
I don't understand why the mess-up over exclusivity was such a concern.

Quite a big concern because they knew they had a crap product, knew they had blown the first two presentations. Boots offered them the win on the silver platter and the project manager said, "Um, no."

Can't believe the PM wasn't fired, and I don't understand what there was to argue about in the boardroom. Surely the answer to every nit pick about the shitty product and general team chaos should have been, "Despite all that, Boots wanted to buy our product and the PM said no."