Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:22:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fifa 11 or Pro Evolution Soccer 2011

Started by buntyman, September 29, 2010, 12:33:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buntyman

The one type of game review that I can never remotely trust is for football games as they never seem to touch on the subtle control features and niggles that can make or break them for me. I see that Fifa 11 is scoring extraordinarily highly at the moment and is being hailed as the best football game of the generation and I haven't heard of much anticipation for Pro Evolution.
I have just downloaded and played the demos of both and I'm struggling to pick a favourite to be honest. The Fifa demo is undoubtedly a lot more polished and gives the impression that the game is absolutely brimming with features, game modes, teams to choose from etc. Pro Evolution, on the other hand, looks to have an extremely basic interface which,although an improvement from the awful whooshing menu screens they had on PES 2009 (the last one i played), shows a real lack of effort in the presentation. On playing the actual game in both though, Pro Evolution is just edging it for me at the moment as the passing seems more accurate, the tackling sharper and the shooting a bit more natural. This could very well be that I'm just more used to the PES style having played it considerably more than Fifa. One thing I did notice on the PES demo though is that it seems to skip slightly from time to time. I'm assuming this is a fault that will have been identified and fixed before the retail version comes out as it is incredibly annoying but it's still a very bad move to release the demo so soon to the release of the actual game with this problem. If it hasn't been fixed, there's no way I'm buying it.
Fifa seems a lot better than any of the previous versions I've played but there's still a slight sluggishness to it and the timings of headers and volleys seems a bit off to me. The commentary also seems to have moved more into the long anecdote territory rather than the brief descriptions of what's going on in the game. I could see that becoming maddening after a few repetitions, bad enough hearing Andy Gray's bollocks the first time round. I'm not sure what the Pro Evolution commentary will be like as there's none on the demo but I'd guess it will be technically poorer but less intrusive.
The big appeal with Fifa for me is having all the up to date teams, players, kits, stats and if it's fun to play, it seems a lot better value than the Pro Evolution offering. The online play is also going to be a big factor in making my decision on what to buy. Pro Evolution has had a history of lag problems and cumbersome set up screens so I'm hoping they've worked on that. Fifa has a reputation of being played more by annoying cunts online so that's probably a harder issue to rectify.
I'd be interested to hear some other views of how people are going to be swayed, particularly from those like me who are clinging on to the belief that Pro Evolution still has it where it counts. Also any news of cheap places to buy the games would be nice - I've heard Asda might be punting Fifa out on launch day at £26.

Bennygaylord

Thanks for posting this thread.

Played both demos, very impressed by both of them, visually anyway. FIFA plays much better, as it has done for the last few generations, so I'll be getting that on release day.

ASDA doing on the cheap? I'm into that. Know ye of any other decent places for cheap release day prices?

El Unicornio, mang

I'm going with Fifa. If you're playing on a PC it's easy enough to patch Pro Evolution so you get the real life teams/players/badges/kits etc but from what I've heard Fifa is fantastic this year, not just critic reviews but players have been giving it 9+. I played the Fifa demo and it's a definite big improvement over last years. I actually think it's going to kill Pro Evo off, since the gameplay was the only edge it had over Fifa previously, but now doesn't even have that.

Subtle Mocking

Just cancelled my Amazon FIFA preorder and ordered with shopto.net in the hope that I might get it tomorrow, apparently they occasionally ship the games a day early, and seeing as it's free first class delivery, why not?

Really bloody anxious for it now though. Love the addition of custom sounds, downloaded a bunch of chants and entrance music files from another website in anticipation.

chand

I usually end up getting both. Last year I really enjoyed FIFA for a couple of weeks, then got bored of it and went to PES2010, which I ended up playing way more. This year's PES has improved a lot of the niggling things that were wrong with the last one so I'm pretty excited for it, have been playing the demo a lot.

MALCOLM

I played both demos and as usual PES felt more sim-like than FIFA with more freedom to create different goals. FIFA is just super accurate pass pass pass pass chip or through ball and shot on goal

hoverdonkey

I actually prefer the PES graphics and the play feels a lot more responsive. That said, this may be the first year I don't get a football game. It's NHL 11 for the next few months for me

chand

Quote from: hoverdonkey on September 29, 2010, 12:49:21 PM
I actually prefer the PES graphics and the play feels a lot more responsive. That said, this may be the first year I don't get a football game. It's NHL 11 for the next few months for me

I'm just getting good at NHL 11, I couldn't fucking score for toffee at first but I seem to have cracked it now. Excellent game.

Subtle Mocking

So NHL is good? I need something to fill Madden's void this year, as they appear to have changed absolutely nothing but still think it's worth £39.99

Subtle Mocking

I still think you might be lucky enough to get it for about £26 like last year at the likes of Asda, Tesco, Morrison's etc. It could be worth checking out a tabloid paper tomorrow, they usually have the deals in the night before (as it all sparks a massive price war between them all).

hoverdonkey

Subtle, NHL is the best sports game around. A tinker with the sliders and you have a game that matches the skill and excitement of the real thing. Completing a long passing move with a well-taken goal is so satisfying, as is snuffing out an attack with a well-timed hit. I absolutely love it

El Unicornio, mang

Been playing the new Fifa this morning. Absolutely awesome. All the teams and players, tons of stadiums, nice snow and rain effects, challenging gameplay (on World Class level, anyway), lovely graphics, lots of depth to the manager mode. Basically the total football game package.

Slaaaaabs

FIFA looks to have improved again from last year, which I was already addicted to. The all inclusive Career mode being 15 seasons long may just make me a hermit for the foreseeable future.

The PES demo is encouraging, but they still lag behind in important areas. Why they added the potentially game breaking "Link Feint" nonsense is pretty indicative of the development of the game I fear.

joshg

Only played the demo, but thought Fifa 11 was absolutely excellent.

To anyone who has the full game already, what's the crack with manager mode? Had a quick glance on the demo at the various menu's and I seem to remember there being a career mode - from player to manager. Is this in addition to manager mode or have they completely merged 'Be A Pro' and manager mode?

El Unicornio, mang

They've merged them, on the console versions at least. All I saw on the PC version menu was "Be a Pro - seasons", I'll check back with info when I play it again.

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: joshg on September 29, 2010, 05:05:39 PM
Only played the demo, but thought Fifa 11 was absolutely excellent.

To anyone who has the full game already, what's the crack with manager mode? Had a quick glance on the demo at the various menu's and I seem to remember there being a career mode - from player to manager. Is this in addition to manager mode or have they completely merged 'Be A Pro' and manager mode?

Career mode covers Manager, Player or Player/Manager. I did read somewhere that you can actually progress from player, to player-manager and finally to manager over your career, I haven't actually read that mentioned since though so it may not have made it into the final game.

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: buntyman on September 29, 2010, 07:43:00 PM
Asda have taken an early lead in the battle of the prices for Fifa, £29.97.

http://www.asda-entertainment.co.uk/games/inspiration/fifa-11.list

In store will be cheaper surely? Expecting you to pick up some lovely snacks and beers to go with it.

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: Slaaaaabs on September 29, 2010, 08:10:33 PM
In store will be cheaper surely? Expecting you to pick up some lovely snacks and beers to go with it.

And if it's anything like last year, the entertainment section won't be serving and it'll only be available from customer services.

My Shopto order is apparently completed, so fingers crossed I'll be playing tomorrow!

El Unicornio, mang

OK, I've noticed a (kind of) bug in Manager Mode on Fifa. Almost every game is played at night. Doesn't seem to be a problem in season mode though.

Bennygaylord

Asked in ASDA today, midnight opening, £29. Glasgow, Toryglen btw.

Bennygaylord

Midnight opening for GAME and Gamestation though they're going for £39.99.

small_world

What do you think GAME or another secondhand buyer would pay for an unopened (£29) ASDA bought copy?

Based on the demo PES is thankfully heading in the right direction again but, having played the last couple of FIFAs on the 360 and owned both FIFA 10 and Pro Evo 2010, I think footy games have been shit on the current consoles (can't comment on the Wii).  Maybe it's the lack of competition, but then there was no third rival when Konami were knocking out gem after gem annually on the PS2.

Bennygaylord

BOOSH, installing onto hard drive now :)

MALCOLM

PC is now using the console engine and looks fantastic because of this

I still think PES edges it for me. Feels more realistic in terms of creating build up and a naturalistic feel to physics of the players

FIFA is accurate pass > accurate pass > accurate pass > attempt on goal

PES feels like a football match

Little Hoover

Quote from: small_world on September 30, 2010, 11:46:15 PM
What do you think GAME or another secondhand buyer would pay for an unopened (£29) ASDA bought copy?

Probably £25

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: MALCOLM on October 01, 2010, 10:06:13 AM
FIFA is accurate pass > accurate pass > accurate pass > attempt on goal

Only if you're playing with everything on automatic and semi-pro or below difficulty. Passing on manual, hell even on semi-auto, is much less straight forward.

Pro Evo is just as much of a stroll on lower difficulty.