Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:51:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Art House films - who loves ya?

Started by sirhenry, October 04, 2010, 10:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirhenry

This Saturday at the Hyde Park Picture House in Leeds they're showing a cleaned-up copy of Cocteau's Blood of a Poet, a 1930 not-quite-surrealist-but-almost silent film. A true classic in the history of cinema.
A new soundtrack has been written (and will be played live) by Steve Severin (of the Banshees). It appears to be a premier. And it only costs £10.

Only 11 of us have booked tickets so far, which seems very odd. For less than the cost of seeing part 5 in a series of ever-worse sequels to a film that never deserved one in your local multiplex, you could have a unique (and unfortunately intimate) experience that you won't have forgotten by Monday.

Is there any point in showing interesting old films in cinemas or should they just be left to geeks in tiny rooms at the BF!?

Famous Mortimer

I might have a word with a few people and see if we can fill a car and come along. I've seen it, years ago (on a DVD double-bill with Un Chien Andalou, good times). Might be a bit far, I suppose.

Films like "Blood of a Poet" deserve multiplexes full of people, and it's sad when they get 11. But maybe the cinema hasn't advertised it, maybe the thought of someone from the Banshees playing music over the top of it doesn't exactly fill people with joy, I don't know.

I saw Nosferatu with Faust doing the music for it about 5-6 years ago in London, and the Royal Festival Hall was absolutely packed. So there's clearly an audience for this sort of thing.

vrailaine

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 04, 2010, 10:29:22 AM
I saw Nosferatu with Faust doing the music for it about 5-6 years ago in London, and the Royal Festival Hall was absolutely packed. So there's clearly an audience for this sort of thing.
They would be a lot more likely to attract the curious though. I might consider going to them, for example, because I haven't watched a whole lot of films from that era and would far rather having the attention span being in a cinema would provide.

sirhenry

It was... surreal.
But not surrealist.
I bought the soundtrack.
Next Saturday (with any luck) you can recreate the event via the magic of CaB radio. More info on the CaB radio thread when I've sorted it out.

pk1yen

Arg, I would have gone to this if I'd known about it. I'm a bit behind with Hyde Park Picture House's schedule this year -- last year it was my most-visited place in Leeds I think. Bit miffed - I need to grab a programme.

pk1yen

I actually just checked the listings - lucky I did - Metropolis re-issue, Big Lebowski, Eraserhead, Die-Hard Christmas special, and Birdemic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgAbVfh6WYg