Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:06:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Burke & Hare

Started by boxofslice, October 05, 2010, 05:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boxofslice

Trailer released for the new John Landis film starring Simon Pegg and Andy Serkis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE7KvAyVnbw

From that trailer it seems a very jokey affair with not much emphasis on the gore.  Nice to see
Spoiler alert
Ronnie Corbett
[close]
make an appearance.

Famous Mortimer

Looks good fun. Did I see Jessica Hynes in there at the beginning too? From the Pegg-based thread in CC you'd think the two of them weren't even on speaking terms.

Jemble Fred

Oddly enough, that trailer did indeed look fun, but it didn't speak of any form of greatness – and I'm quite pleased to have my expectations gently eased down a gear. Still, there are very very few films which I will go to see on the first day, and that's got to be one of them.

uglybob1986

Ooooh, right. Burke AND hare

mobias

I remember when this was being filmed in Edinburgh last year. It was a big production, whole streets were shut down for it. Be interesting to see what its like. Landis hasn't been on form for a very very long time.

Mister Six

Yikes, that looks dreadful to me. I suppose trailers - especially American ones with big cheesy voiceovers - aren't always representative of the films they're, er, representing. But the run of '...and then I got off the bus', a poo joke, a joke about a fart that turned into a poo, a lady referring to naughtiness in euphemistic ways, people reacting bemused at the recently deceased, a sex joke, more people acting bemused at the recently deceased, a 'they look like they're gay!' joke and another sex joke is hardly a promising start.

Then again the trailer was adding shit sound effects all over the punchlines and doing that 'music stops to emphasise a surprising event' thing over and over and over so it's probably aiming at fucking idiots anyway. I'll see what the reviewers make of it.

Oh well. Nice to see Ronnie Corbett in a film.

TotalNightmare

I agree the trailer looks awful - but hopefully its 'zany' pace was more to entice the American market, rather than offer up a more realistic tone for the actual finished product.

If nothing else, I got a huge "Carry On" feel about the thing... But not in a bad way, rather in a "If they HAD to update the franchise at all, this approach seems best, rather than the cheap knob and fanny gags we would've expected" way.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

madhair60

CaledonianGonzo

Well - that looks unlikely to resurrect Landis' career

Glebe

Couple of amusing moments, but overall that's a disappointing trailer. Wish they'd have played it just a tiny bit straighter.

CaledonianGonzo

That trailer deserves all the Knox its been getting.

Cerys

I like Simon Pegg.  I like Andy Serkis.  I like tales about grisly things.  I suspect I'll be watching this at some point.

Famous Mortimer

According to the Radio Times, the Serkis part was originally David Tennant's, but he didn't do it due to timing issues with that pilot he did in the USA (that didn't get picked up)? This is from overhearing two other people discussing the article, not me reading it, so I might be a bit off.

Is that Paul Whitehouse having a slash at 1:30-ish?

Cerys

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 07, 2010, 07:51:10 AM
According to the Radio Times, the Serkis part was originally David Tennant's, but he didn't do it due to timing issues with that pilot he did in the USA (that didn't get picked up)? This is from overhearing two other people discussing the article, not me reading it, so I might be a bit off.

I'm so glad he didn't get it - it'd have off-balanced the partnership.

sirhenry

I wonder if it's a remake of this 1972 version?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5Dme5Uc_Uc

And yes, that is Viv Stanshall singing the chorus (the rest is The Scaffold)

CaledonianGonzo

The posters for this currently adorning Edinburgh buses would be worthy contenders for the 'photoshop disasters' thread.  Just awful, and I never thought I'd say that about an image featuring Isla Fisher.

I've also heard a rumour that it won't be being screened for critics ahead of its release, make of that what you will.

jaydee81

I keep getting this confused with Plunkett and MacLaine

Danger Man

Quote from: ColonelVolestrangler on October 07, 2010, 09:54:12 AM
Is that Paul Whitehouse having a slash at 1:30-ish?

Looks like it. And a very quick shot of Stephen Merchant doing his 'googly eyes' a bit later on.

The trailer makes this film look really poor. Then again, Simon Pegg was on Radio 4 this evening going on about how great America is because they aren't 'cynical'. So maybe I should bite my tongue. 

Harpo Speaks

I haven't seen this, but they were saying on Kermode and Mayo's show on Friday that the trailer really misrepresents the overall tone of the film, Landis even mentioned in the interview that he wasn't pleased with it.

Jemble Fred

Where the frigging bitch is this being shown then? I thought it would be more widely released than this – neither the Odeon nor the arthouse cinema is showing it at all here. DVD it will have to be, then.

Ignatius_S

Well, it's getting some pretty awful reviews, but Ronnie Corbett and Michael Winner? I'm sold!

Quote from: jaydee81 on October 13, 2010, 12:29:31 PM
I keep getting this confused with Plunkett and MacLaine
At least one reviewer said it brought back memories of that film.

Ja'moke

I saw it a couple of weeks back, it's...erm, okay, I guess. There are a couple of big laugh visual gags, but overall I found it very light on laughs. It was more fun spotting all the various cameo appearances from British comedy actors.

Jones The Bond

Here's an interesting story.  I missed the news of the rios at Tory HQ because I went out to see Burke and Hare.

The moral of the story is, don't go out.

It was ok, it was mainly Isla Fisher and Jessica Hynes combined display of cleavage that kept me awake.  Good cast.  That's about it.

tygerbug

Looks like Burke and Burke to me.

Casting Andy Serkis makes it a different movie than casting David Tennant, since one's a leading man and one's a character actor willing to go for the gross. Doubt it'll do much business.

Isla Fisher <3   I'm surprised she didn't become a bigger star after Wedding Crashers.