Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,477
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:15:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Buried

Started by non capisco, October 07, 2010, 09:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

Buried! High concept English language Spanish film featuring Ryan Reynolds waking up buried alive with just a lighter, a pencil and a mobile phone with fading battery power in the coffin.

Pretty decent little film, I thought, but I am a sucker for the whole 'buried alive' thing a la 'Spoorloos', it being pretty much my worst fear and one I lost sleep dwelling on for ages after seeing an episode of The X Files which ended with someone meeting that fate.

However, as worth your viewing time as I think it is, I started the thread mainly because one of the people he ends up speaking to on the phone sounds uncannily like Chris Morris. Has anyone else seen this and were you similarly destracted, half expecting the guy to start issuing surreal orders to Reynolds' character as if he were Paul Garner?

lipsink

Yeah, I thought this was great too. Lots of brilliant "How the fuck did they do that?" camera shots, the show offs. I didn't notice the guy sounding like Chris Morris but I couldn't place who he reminded me of. Well done to Ryan Reynolds who was excellent in this and 'Adventureland'. The cinema I saw this in everyone around was talking nearly the whole way through it. Annoying too as the film was quite quiet (well, the first half anyway) so I could hear everyone chatting away.
Spoiler alert
Plus, at the end when the screen went to black some one shouted out "What?! What the fuck was that?!"
[close]

JPA

Were either of you disappointed by the ending? A couple of people have mentioned it to me as being something about the film that they didn't enjoy.

lipsink

I thought the ending was great.
Spoiler alert
It was such a kick in the nuts after you'd been given all the cues and build up at the end that he was going to be saved at the last minute. Then you just think: "Oh shit, he's fucked!" It was bloody cruel and bleak but funny as hell.
[close]

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I saw this yesterday and was impressed by it overall. It was, of course, extremely tense but, as a claustrophobe myself, surprisingly unfrightening. I thought
Spoiler alert
the snake
[close]
was maybe over egging things a bit, although it was possibly necessary, to keep the pace from flagging. Reynolds was very good, and the rest of the cast didn't phone it in, even though they were literally doing so. Stephen "Ned" Tobolovsky conveyed utter officious scumbaggery in only a minute or so.

It's another one for the duelling movies file, what with 127 Hours out soon. Both films about men trapped alone in horrific circumstances and
Spoiler alert
having to cut part of their arm/hand off.
[close]

VegaLA

Great film, surprised there has not been more replies.
I caught up with this over the weekend. Had a feeling it would depress me so watched it Friday evening so I could recover over the weekend.
So very, very clever, and like you say the cast were great and hats off to Ryan Reynolds, superb stuff.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 25, 2010, 05:00:12 AM
Stephen "Ned" Tobolovsky conveyed utter officious scumbaggery in only a minute or so.

So that was him as the guy from the company he worked for? One of those rare occasions where I almost started shouting at the screen! And the guy tryin to help him out sounded to me more like Richard Dawkins then Chris Morris.

Worth watching for anyone who has yet to see it.

Edit: Just went to check IMDB for the cast and FUCK ME a budget of $3M. Really? I'm no movie budget expert but i'm pretty sure that's a ridiculous sum of money. The meat of that i'd had thougt was spent of distribution costs but it never hit any of the Cinemas around my way, like 'Frozen' it was very hard to track down.

$3M???????

thugler

Better and more exciting than 127 hours.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: VegaLA on January 31, 2011, 06:32:59 PM

Edit: Just went to check IMDB for the cast and FUCK ME a budget of $3M. Really? I'm no movie budget expert but i'm pretty sure that's a ridiculous sum of money. The meat of that i'd had thougt was spent of distribution costs but it never hit any of the Cinemas around my way, like 'Frozen' it was very hard to track down.

$3M???????

$3M is spare change these days, even for a film about a man in a box!

small_world

We watched this and 127 almost back to back.
I have to say I preferred 127 Hours, I was more taken in by the set up and cared more for the character.
Reynolds, while good, couldn't convince me that he was actually in any real danger. The panic he portrayed just didn't cross over.

The plot just seemed too thin. I don't suffer from claustrophobia in any real way, maybe that has something to do with it.
It's definitely worth the watch though.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

St. Edmonds suffers traumatic flashback

Edit: that was supposed to be a tag, obviously.

Space ghost

anyone catch the very brief shot of the writing on the coffin after the credits had rolled?

What was that all about?

Mister Six

Quote from: VegaLA on January 31, 2011, 06:32:59 PMEdit: Just went to check IMDB for the cast and FUCK ME a budget of $3M. Really? I'm no movie budget expert but i'm pretty sure that's a ridiculous sum of money. The meat of that i'd had thougt was spent of distribution costs but it never hit any of the Cinemas around my way, like 'Frozen' it was very hard to track down.

$3M???????

Well you've got a cast of 20 people, plus about 40 behind-the-scenes people including visual FX and post-production folks, plus half of that figure will be (ridiculously high, even with limited screenings) distribution costs, plus equipment rental, plus stuff like catering, housing the various crew/cast members (and transporting those that weren't hired locally), hiring trucks to ferry the equipment to wherever it was that they filmed it, etc.

Add to that the rate of inflation and $3 million is a fucking snip for a critically acclaimed film starring the new Captain America...

SavageHedgehog

Green Lantern sir! You know, this year's other "The Green [Blank]" superhero film.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression distribution costs weren't usually included as part of the production budgets? All figures should be taken with a pinch of salt either way of course.

Mister Six

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on February 01, 2011, 01:34:39 PM
Green Lantern sir! You know, this year's other "The Green [Blank]" superhero film.

Ah, yeah. Ryan Reynolds and Chris Evans seem to be in a competition to see who can play the most comic book characters so I get them confused.

QuoteI could be wrong, but I was under the impression distribution costs weren't usually included as part of the production budgets? All figures should be taken with a pinch of salt either way of course.

I may be wrong but I thought IMDB quotes included distribution?

Even if they don't, £3 million isn't a whole lot for a film when you take into account all the miscellaneous things it has to cover.