Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:57:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Euro 2004 Come on En-ger-land!!!!

Started by @ssmaster, May 17, 2004, 11:27:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

@ssmaster

Only 4 weeks away from this summer's major tournament (Olympics? What are they?) and I'm starting to get excited. I have worked my summer holidays around Euro 2004 and may toy with the idea of going over to Lisbon to soak up some of the atmosphere.

Being an English man in Scotland there is no sense of patriotic pride for England like I experienced in Euro 96 or when I travelled down to Newcastle to watch England v Argentina in the last World Cup (what a day that was). So a 2 week jaunt south of the border may be in order (don't know how the wife will feel about that?).

I have put my bet on for England to win as well (7-1 pretty good odds I thought), call it blind faith but I think the only team better than us in the Tournement is France.

So how are you gearing yourself up for the summer of football?

The squad is annouced today isn't it?

bresker

Rupert Murdoch has bought the whole tournament, and since most of the matches will kick off at 4.00am I fancy my enjoyment of the affair might be curtailed somewhat.

Still, the Aussie Rules is good this season. Aren't St Kilda going well?

@ssmaster

Quote from: "bresker"Rupert Murdoch has bought the whole tournament, and since most of the matches will kick off at 4.00am I fancy my enjoyment of the affair might be curtailed somewhat.

We had to endure that in Japan 2002, although not as early if I remember.

Quote from: "bresker"Still, the Aussie Rules is good this season. Aren't St Kilda going well?

butnut

Isn't that Shane Warne's team? That's all I know about aussie rules.

Back to the footie now...

king mob

I'm taking June off & will be shouting on Sweden.;)

Regular John

ALL TOGETHER NOW!

I look forward to Heskey tumbling and staggering around!

Bilko

Group A
Portugal
Greece
Spain
Russia

Group B
France
England
Switzerland
Croatia

Group C
Sweden
Bulgaria
Denmark
Italy

Group D
Czech Rep
Latvia
Germany
Holland

Here are the four groups, who do you think will be going through from each of them
I predict
Group A: Portugal Spain
Group B: France England
Group C: Italy Sweden
Group D: Holland Czech Rep

No Germany

fanny splendid

Quote from: "Regular John"ALL TOGETHER NOW!

I look forward to Heskey tumbling and staggering around!

Come off it, Birmingham isn't that hard to navigate...

swinny

Quote from: "Peter Hammill"
Here are the four groups, who do you think will be going through from each of them
I predict
Group A: Portugal Spain
Group B: France England
Group C: Italy Sweden
Group D: Holland Czech Rep

I'll be happy with that!...England to beat Switzerland and Croatia and draw to France, but finish second due to goal difference...that way I get to see England twice! (tickets for 2 group matche and 1 quarter final (winner of ! against runner-up Group B)....gonna be a great week I hope!

weirdbeard

Quote from: "@ssmaster"I have put my bet on for England to win as well (7-1 pretty good odds I thought), call it blind faith but I think the only team better than us in the Tournement is France.

Too right it's blind faith, we're weak in goal, weak in defence and weak up front.

@ssmaster

Quote from: "weirdbeard"
Quote from: "@ssmaster"I have put my bet on for England to win as well (7-1 pretty good odds I thought), call it blind faith but I think the only team better than us in the Tournement is France.

Too right it's blind faith, we're weak in goal, weak in defence and weak up front.

Lets hope thats not the weak we play France then.....

I'll get my coat.

mayer

neither Switzerland or Croatia look like particularly easy games.

i'm hoping for the best, but we could have a lot of trouble even getting out of the group.

Football you say?  I didn't know anything about this.  13 June, 7.45pm, ITV1 is not imprinted on my brain at all.

I think France first up is probably a blessing in disguise.  England tend to play better against the really world class sides (the dismal performance against Brazil in the World Cup quarter final being an exception, admittedly), and if we can pull off a win it'll set us up to top the group.  If we get a hammering, it'll give the team a boot up the arse to turn on the style against Switzerland and Croatia.  If Stephen Gerrard continues his recent form (he was magnificent on Saturday) then I have few worried for the midfield - despite that left-sided problem.  I still don't rate Ashley Cole's defending, and he's caught out of position too often - I'd prefer Bridge in there.  The strikers worry me a little - Rooney has had a mediocre second season, and though I rate Owen highly, I think he's short of his best at the moment.

hencole

I'll be putting a bet on France to beat us 7-1 as well. Come on the French!

Rubbish Monkey

Quote from: "@ssmaster"The squad is annouced today isn't it?

The 23-man provisional England squad for the Euro 2004 finals in Portugal...

James (Manchester City), Robinson (Leeds/Tottenham), Walker (Leicester); G Neville (Man Utd), P Neville (Man Utd), A Cole (Arsenal), Bridge (Chelsea), Campbell (Arsenal), Terry (Chelsea), King (Tottenham), Carragher (Liverpool); Beckham (Real Madrid), Scholes (Man Utd), Gerrard (Liverpool), Butt (Man Utd), Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Dyer (Newcastle), Lampard (Chelsea), J Cole (Chelsea); Owen (Liverpool), Heskey (Liverpool), Rooney (Everton), Vassell (Aston Villa).

On standby: Southgate (M'boro), Upson (Birmingham), Parker (Chelsea), Defoe (Tottenham), Smith (Leeds), Wright (Everton).

Danny Mills, Wes Brown and Ugugoh Ehiogu have been left out entirely.
http://www.football365.com/teams/england/story_110209.shtml

@ssmaster

Quote from: "hencole"

I'll be putting a bet on France to beat us 7-1 as well. Come on the French!

I must say that some people's lack of irrational faith in their nation is worrying.

bresker

I don't see how Vassell can win a place ahead of Defoe, or even Beattie or Phillips.

There's a terrible lack of English strikers in the premership scoring charts at the moment, I see.

@ssmaster

I must admit I was a bit dissapointed in the exclusion of Defoe, I would of picked him over Dyer. Why does Sven keep picking that injury prone waste of space?

king mob

Quote from: "Rubbish Monkey"
Quote from: "@ssmaster"The squad is annouced today isn't it?

The 23-man provisional England squad for the Euro 2004 finals in Portugal...

James (Manchester City), Robinson (Leeds/Tottenham), Walker (Leicester); G Neville (Man Utd), P Neville (Man Utd), A Cole (Arsenal), Bridge (Chelsea), Campbell (Arsenal), Terry (Chelsea), King (Tottenham), Carragher (Liverpool); Beckham (Real Madrid), Scholes (Man Utd), Gerrard (Liverpool), Butt (Man Utd), Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Dyer (Newcastle), Lampard (Chelsea), J Cole (Chelsea); Owen (Liverpool), Heskey (Liverpool), Rooney (Everton), Vassell (Aston Villa).

On standby: Southgate (M'boro), Upson (Birmingham), Parker (Chelsea), Defoe (Tottenham), Smith (Leeds), Wright (Everton).

Danny Mills, Wes Brown and Ugugoh Ehiogu have been left out entirely.
http://www.football365.com/teams/england/story_110209.shtml

Only 4 strikers?

Glad to see Sven has realised Mills is a pointless hopeless player and left him behind.

Quote from: "Rubbish Monkey"Ugugoh Ehiogu

Isn't he Batfink's sworn enemy?

mayer

Quote from: "Rubbish Monkey"G Neville (Man Utd), P Neville (Man Utd),

*sigh*

are these guys already scrawled in crayon on the team sheet before Sven gets it?

i would've left at least one of them at home and taken Parker along. you don't need seven odd defenders, especially when we won't last more than three games.

oh, and i'd agree with PLC and probably play Bridge ahead of Cole.

king mob

Quote from: "mayer"
Quote from: "Rubbish Monkey"G Neville (Man Utd), P Neville (Man Utd),

*sigh*

are these guys already scrawled in crayon on the team sheet before Sven gets it?

i would've left at least one of them at home and taken Parker along. you don't need seven odd defenders, especially when we won't last more than three games.

oh, and i'd agree with PLC and probably play Bridge ahead of Cole.

Gary Neville for all his severe personal flaws is a decent right back, Phil is there to make Beckham look even more handsome, i'd have left Butt behind & taken Defoe as Butt has hardly played this year.

Nah, Butt is key for England, which is why it's so unsettling that he's not played so much this season.  He links the midfield to the defence, so that the strikers aren't trying to latch onto a barrage of long balls from Beckham and Gerrard who've had to scurry back to defend.  Thankfully Sven knows this, and I'd wager that he'll be in the starting line-up against France, barring injury.

Bilko

What the fuck is Carragher doing in the squad, he's a footballing Neanderthal.

Peking O

Agreed about Defoe - he should be there. Like most West Ham and Charlton fans I hate the guy personally, but he is a much better option than Vassell.

What the fuck Ledley King is doing in the squad is anyones guess....

Jaffa The Cake

Did you know that kids at infant school and early junior school are unable to spell the word "England" correctly because they opt for "Engerland" as taught by their chanting football-obsessed parents?

Football makes you stupid.

weekender

Why does no-one take my idea of playing Cole at left-back and Bridge at left-midfield seriously?  They can then cover each other defensively when they want to go for one of their little forays towards the opposing goal, overlapping wing-backs if you like.

Either way Emile Heskey can fuck off, the fucking lazy thick n**ger.

mayer

Quote from: "weekender"Why does no-one take my idea of playing Cole at left-back and Bridge at left-midfield seriously?  They can then cover each other defensively when they want to go for one of their little forays towards the opposing goal, overlapping wing-backs if you like.

Either way, Emile Heskey can fuck off, the fucking lazy thick n**ger.

i've been saying that for a while (well, the first part anyway).

i think the reason that people aren't won over by the idea is that Sven tried it once (like every bloody other formation), for an entire 35 minutes if i recall, and it didn't seem to work brilliantly.

i'd be well up for it, but i think he should've given the idea two or three friendlies to work it out. i think Sven wasted every oppurtunity he had to seriously test some tactics on the last bunch of friendlies.

Doctor Stamen

Quote from: "bresker"I don't see how Vassell can win a place ahead of Defoe, or even Beattie or Phillips.

Probably because he has a better international record than any of the above.  He turned the game around against Turkey, and has done this a number of times when coming on as sub.  He certainly wouldn't be in my starting 11, but he's a great player to have on the bench.

Any of those three should have been chosen ahead of that lumbering lummox Heskey.  What's that you say, £6.2m?  Hahaha!!!

phes

Parts of our squad are so shit it's unbelievable.
I agree with Heskeys inclusion on the grounds that we need a player of his stature and style, though it's saying something that he's the best we can do.
Phil Neville is a versatile player, he's capable of fucking up anywhere on the pitch. Gary Neville's allways good for an own goal. Joe Cole has done absolutely nothing to warrant inclusion. He's lively and good with his feet, but hardly a bright football player. Watching him desperately trying to impress in the pigeon holes he's been given has been simply embarrassing. Ledley King is poo. Vassell, carrying an injury. Jamie Carragher, don't make me laugh.

Where are the in form players?

Wright Phillips - On fire all season.
Defoe - Likewise.
Parker - decent
Jon stead - Worth a gamble?
Kevin Phillips - In form