Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,455
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:47:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Euro 2004 Come on En-ger-land!!!!

Started by @ssmaster, May 17, 2004, 11:27:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peking O

Quote from: "phes"Where are the in form players?

Wright Phillips - On fire all season.
Defoe - Likewise.

Defoe has been on fire in more ways than one this season - he's been sent off three times. Could have had a bearing on Sven's estimation of him perhaps, especially as he's only taken four strikers.

phes

Agreed that Defoe's no saint, but that petulence may have more to do with a drop in divisions. Has he been sent off for Spurs?
Has he been yellow carded?
I think Rooney may have a few this year!

weekender

Quote from: "phes"Jon stead - Worth a gamble?

Fucking hell, not yet.  He's come from Huddersfield in D3 - I'm not disputing the fact that he's done alright for Blackburn so far, but talk of an England place is completely ridiculous, surely?

Tokyo Sexwhale

I can't believe Gareth Barry didn't get a chance.  Not only is the best English left-sided midfielder (yes, he's better than Alan Thompson), but he could also fill in at left back or central defence in an emergency.

phes

Quote from: "weekender"
Quote from: "phes"Jon stead - Worth a gamble?

Fucking hell, not yet.  He's come from Huddersfield in D3 - I'm not disputing the fact that he's done alright for Blackburn so far, but talk of an England place is completely ridiculous, surely?

Where he came from is quite irrelevant, although I appreciate that we have had very little time to look at his all round game.

However.

Wayne Rooney - Double figure yellows, should have been sent off several times this year. Patchy season, low goal tally. Not in great form for club.

Emile Heskey - Say no more. Never in good form for club.

Owen - fairly sure bet still - we hope. Not in good form for club.

Darius Vassell - Carrying an injury. Not in good form for club.

Not gambles?

John Stead - In form, calm, collected, apparently wise beyond his years, hungry, not carrying an injury or with a discipline problem.

@ssmaster

There is a massive difference between Premiership football and International football, at least we know the other strikers can cut it at the top level, if you take John Stead without any International experience there is a chance he could choke on the big occassion. That is a big risk to take in my opinion.

the hum

Well, not there (again).  Bring back Craig Brown, and c'mon the Latvia.

Jimmy

Quote from: "@ssmaster"There is a massive difference between Premiership football and International football, at least we know the other strikers can cut it at the top level, if you take John Stead without any International experience there is a chance he could choke on the big occassion. That is a big risk to take in my opinion.

I agree- though I do believe he's capped at under-21 level.

I think the squad looks a little weak, we could have done without Woodgates injury and Ferdinands suspension for starters.

Heskeys surely in there because of the way he links up with Owen, as his goalscoring record is appalling.

Gary Neville should obviously be in there, I've slagged him off in the past but who else is there? He's reliable, experienced and has a good understanding with Beckham down the right.

I think we should've taken 5 strikers though and sacrificed a midfielder- Phil Neville or more likely Nicky Butt- surely he's not match fit.

I wouldve thought Beattie would have got a look in but Im not suprised that Defoe didn't get in, he's only been capped once I think, and Vassell seems to always impress in an England shirt.

With regards to midfield, Coles worth having because he's got that bit of creativity that the others don't, has a diffrent style.

Surely Lampard has to start, possibly in place of Scholes if Sven wants to keep the diamond. We could play all 4 (Beckham, Gerrard,Scholes and Lampard) but who is going to play a holding role out of them? Drop Scholes if anything, he hasn't well for England in what seems like an age.

I think we'll do well to get out the group to be honest.

morgs

My money is on Germany.  Doesn't seem to matter how crap they appear, they have some sort of knack more often than not.  And no-one else seems to be mentioning them so I hope to appear Mystic Morgs-like

Regular John

Thank christ that neanderthal dipshit Danny Mills didn't get in!

Alan Smith is apparently joining Man United for £6m, I just hope he can do a Cantona.

gazzyk1ns

Ground security will probably stop him these days.

Regular John

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"Ground security will probably stop him these days.

when t'seagulls follow t'trawler thuz ah lookin' fer a sardine

king mob

Quote from: "the hum"Well, not there (again).  Bring back Craig Brown, and c'mon the Latvia.

Oh god no, Gordon Strachan can have the job when Berti fucks off.

the hum

Quote from: "king mob"
Quote from: "the hum"Well, not there (again).  Bring back Craig Brown, and c'mon the Latvia.

Don't worry I was merely jesting about Brown - although he was in charge when Coisty scored that goal against Switzerland at Euro 96.....ahh memories.  Strachan would be fine, or Jimmy Calderwood.

mangoliver

Quote from: "Tokyo Sexwhale"I can't believe Gareth Barry didn't get a chance.  Not only is the best English left-sided midfielder (yes, he's better than Alan Thompson), but he could also fill in at left back or central defence in an emergency.

IMHO Barry is easily the most overrated player in the Premiership. He has a slightly above average left foot, other than that he's utter toss. Doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the England squad.

The midfield surely has to be Beckham-Scholes-Gerard-Lampard. Wright-Phillips should be in the squad ahead of Joe Cole as well in midfield.

Vassell plainly isn't anywhere near as good as Defoe based on league form, but has been excellent whwnever he's played for England and so deserves his spot.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: "mangoliver"
IMHO Barry is easily the most overrated player in the Premiership. He has a slightly above average left foot, other than that he's utter toss. Doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the England squad.

"EASILY" the most overrated player?  Now that's pushing it a little in a league that contains Kieron Dyer.  How the hell does he keep getting in there - is it for his ability to defend on the goal line, or running around like a headless chicken all game?

At worst, Barry is a solid player, who can actually pass, shoot and accurately cross with his left foot, he can tackle and is decent in the air (although if you take away his air, he's fucking useless).  

I'm not saying he should be first choice, or even in the Euro 2004 squad, just given a couple of games to prove whether or not he has what it takes.

Doctor Stamen

Gareth Barry's been average all season, but i'd hardly describe him as "utter toss".  I'm a Villa fan and wouldn't have him in the squad (mind you, I couldn't give a flying fuck about fucking In-ger-lund in Euro 04, I just want to see our best players rested over the summer).  Last season (2002/03), Barry was the best left-sided player in the Premiership by far and still didn't get a look in.

king mob

Quote from: "the hum"
Quote from: "king mob"

Don't worry I was merely jesting about Brown - although he was in charge when Coisty scored that goal against Switzerland at Euro 96.....ahh memories.  Strachan would be fine, or Jimmy Calderwood.

Strachan would be the dream Scotland manager & actually get our players working as a team, for all of Berti's faults he at least dropped the aging lunks that filled our team up.

Kevin Gallagher, Matt Elliott?

Mediocre Rich

The eternal Heskey conundrum.  I work in Southampton and you can imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth that occurs when the big lump continually gets picked over Saint Beattie and now King Kev.

The trouble is that when Beattie got his chance he looked horribly out of his depth.  I think he got two games and did nothing in either.  Whereas big Emile will come on control the ball 5 yards, get knocked over by a 5 foot full back, pass to the opposition and then set up a goal win the free kick that leads to a goal or score.

It's most frustrating for my Saints colleagues, and most entertaining for me.

And he doesn't even play for Liverpool anymore, even more reason to get behind the bug lumox!

I'll have no more disparaging talk of God Neville either.  You will not find a  more complete right back in the annals of the English game (although ,unlike Slider from Top Gun's Johnson, the list of good English right backs is hardly long and distinguished).

Also once St David has been sent of for petulance (this is a certainty, just ask Talk Sports Adrian Durham), he will be the best bet to whip in the cross from the right that will bounce of Emile's knee to get us the draw against Croatia that will se us through.

They tried the Bridge - Cole thing against Macedonia and it was 2-2 by the way.  I definately think they should have given it another go though, but then Sven gets to watch them in training so I presume they've tried it there and it hasn't worked.

I dont' think it need be a problem particularly, the greatest team ever assembled (tm) play with Pires on the left and he's right footed.  If Dyer is as good as he obviously thinks he is he should be able to hack it out there, and hopefully he will.

I think that Heskey's move to Birmingham says it all.  What is he now?  25?  26?  He should be hitting his peak right now, instead Liverpool have shipped him out and taken a £4m loss on their original purchase.  An international striker's transfer fee shouldn't be reducing in price until the age of about 28 or 29.

I thought Rooney was magnificent in a few games he's played for England, but I'd be tempted to leave him on the bench and play Gerrard, Scholes, Lampard, Beckham and Butt as a five-man midfield, so that Scholes and Lampard can join Owen as a lone striker, and Butt can play the holding defensive midfielder role.  I usually prefer a 4-4-2, but I just don't think it's the best option for England right now, particularly as our attacking midfielders are our strongest card.

king mob

This is going to be a wee bit controvertial but Heskey is not as bad as people make out.
Ok his value has decreased but thats because he was bought by a Liverpool side that pays over the odds for anyone half decent or shit and French.

Heskey does fall down too often but he helps set up a load of Englands goals & provides some height in a very short arsed English side.

axel

Change of tack, but is anyone else going to Portugal this summer?
I've just got my tickets through, and due to UEFAs shite 'lucky dip' system i've got some tickets i need to swap/sell. Apart from e-bay does anyone know any europe-wide internet sites for swapping tickets?

phes

Afraid not. Just out of interest though, which matches did you get?

axel

Italy vs. Bulgaria
France vs. Switzerland
Italy vs. Sweden
Netherlands vs. Latvia
Denmark vs. Sweden
England vs. Croatia