Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:28:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nothing Lasts Forever (1984)

Started by Blumf, October 11, 2010, 11:08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087817/

How many of you have seen this? Considering it's tied up in copyright hell and hasn't had a DVD release. It was broadcast on BBC as part of the Moviedrome series years back, and there was a VHS release in the UK.

Amazingly odd film, seamlessly blending 1930's clips with new footage made to look exactly the same, it's as if you've drifted off to sleep whilst watching some old movies and had a weird dream. The cast is full of Saturday Night Live people as well other notables.

It's hard to convey the love for old films this one shows. A real attention to detail that draws you in and makes you believe it to be the real thing.

I won't bother telling you the plot, beyond the fact that it's about a young man trying to become an artist. Best to let it play out with all it's surreal and humours scenes. Just find it and watch it.

I saw it when it was on the telly way back when. Very, very odd film. I thought I was going mad while I was watching it - "Welcome to the moon!"

kidsick5000

At last. Someone else knows about it.
I watched it on moviedrome. Alex Cox gave it a bogus introduction, playing up the film from another time.
Managed to get it from a friend. Even though it took the best part of a week for the friend to deliver it.

Certainly not the funniest film but there is something wonderful about it though. The mix between old footage and modern footage is eerie.

Tom Schiller was SNL's film resident film guy all the way from the start till the 90s which was an uncanny achievement on a show that has a huge turnover of talent. It's weird to think that an SNL spinoff would be so arty

Blumf

You're right it's not a comedy classic, although there are some good moments to it (the art test and it's result is favourite bit for me) the film is more about the whole unique experience. It works brilliantly as a late night movie where you can let it seep into you.