Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:40:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Article on British eccentrics in Front magazine

Started by Blue Jam, February 07, 2004, 12:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Asking if anyone has got the current issue is pretty stupid, I know- I've seen the threads about Nuts and the other one, but according to its cover, this month's issue has a feature on "British Loons" asking if they're as good as they used to be. I imagine they're comparing people like Liam Gallagher with the likes of Keith Moon and Vivian Stanshall (yes, I am an Oasis fan, but I know it'd be no contest).
On the other hand, perhaps they're just comparing George Best with David Beckham...

23 Daves

I've always found it curious that we labour under the apprehension that we're the only country who produces eccentrics... America seems to be doing a fantastic job, especially in the backwater towns, and any book on outsider art always reveals that there are people building statues out of disused bath plugs and taps 'because I enjoy it' in places all over the world.  

The only main difference between our eccentrics and theirs is that we give them a living. That seems to be dying out, though. Whereas in the past you'd have Magnus Pyke on the television, these days they'd rather get a good looking bland drama student boy to front everything.  

Are there any actual 'eccentrics' coming through in British popular culture at the moment, or is it all over now?  And is it pointless badging people as 'eccentric' anyway?  (John Lydon quote:  "The English call you that when they're frightened or challenged by something you've done")

Dusty Gozongas

Quote from: "23 Daves"Whereas in the past you'd have Magnus Pyke on the television, these days they'd rather get a good looking bland drama student boy to front everything.  

I'm in agreement with everything you just said (although the quote was a small part.  I just liked that bit).

Give me Wilf Lunn or  some mad geezer on Nationwide 'walking on water' any day of the week!  And no, I'm not being a cunt.  I'm just showing my age.

Where ARE the eccentrics?  They're here.... are we being encouraged to ignore them?  I suspect the answer is yes. And that's a ferking huge shame.