Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:21:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Batman - Arkham City

Started by Custard, October 13, 2010, 01:07:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

The thing is, I don't really blame them for going the direction they did with it. It's hard to know what they could do to improve on Arkham Asylum so they went the direction they did with it, but my main complaint with that is they make a free-roaming game and then cut off certain side-missions after a certain point and they constantly make you feel rushed so you don't really feel free to explore, or you can only explore when they tell you, you can.

Aside from that the story just becomes a bit of a mess and it's ending is very anti-climatic, because I simply wasn't expecting that to be the final battle.

I was just about to say I was really looking forward to what they did in the sequel with some of the loose ends at the end of Arkham City, but it seems the next game is going to be a prequel featuring other Justice League characters. http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/07/11/arkham-city-sequel-will-be-a-silver-age-prequel

Seems like a huge missed opportunity to me, there were some interesting hints about Scarecrow, and Batman going quiet after what happened to Joker. Although it actually seems to be fairly unsubstantiated rumour at this point, so I hope that's not the direction they go.

Spiteface

I recently replayed it again.

The most punchable villain in the game is by far the Riddler. I'm nowhere near finishing the sidequest with him. Tell me you get to beat him to a bloody pulp at the end...

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Thursday on September 01, 2012, 11:34:06 PMAside from that the story just becomes a bit of a mess and it's ending is very anti-climatic, because I simply wasn't expecting that to be the final battle.

I don't remember if I mentioned this, but yeah, absolutely.  I also thought the bit where you
Spoiler alert
kill Hugo Strange
[close]
was laughably anti-climactic.  Maybe it was intentional.

Still, nothing in AC comes close to the genuinely creepy Scarecrow segment in AA.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Thursday on September 01, 2012, 11:34:06 PM
I was just about to say I was really looking forward to what they did in the sequel with some of the loose ends at the end of Arkham City, but it seems the next game is going to be a prequel featuring other Justice League characters. http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/07/11/arkham-city-sequel-will-be-a-silver-age-prequel

Hmmm, who will be doing the Joker's voice I wonder?

I feel we're being a bit down on Arkham City - it is still good game, if just not as much concentrated fun as the first one.
It did at least have a few decent boss fights, and the combat was still fun even if not much was added to it (did anyone ever get the hang of that knife dodging mechanic?).

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: MojoJojo on September 03, 2012, 10:23:24 AM(did anyone ever get the hang of that knife dodging mechanic?).

Nope!  And the aerial attack you're meant to use to get folk with shields was unreliable at the best/worst of times.

MojoJojo

The aerial attack I think was sort of deliberate - the main problem was it left you vulnerable for a long time. In combination those two things meant I spent almost all my combos on the "destroy weapon" move.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: MojoJojo on September 03, 2012, 10:23:24 AM
Hmmm, who will be doing the Joker's voice I wonder?...

The Last Laugh, an expansion for DC Universe Online, was released recently and Hamill voiced the Joker for that. It's entirely possible that the recording was done a while ago, however. After Hamill said he was quitting the role, he subsequently mentioned that he would be up for playing him again (if they did an animated version of The Killing Joke) and someone at Rocksteady hinted that whatever Hamill has said, he might appear in another game (not that I'm saying that too much stock should be placed in that).

Paul Dini won't be involved in the writing, though.

Quote from: MojoJojo on September 03, 2012, 10:23:24 AM...I feel we're being a bit down on Arkham City - it is still good game, if just not as much concentrated fun as the first one....

Personally, I liked them both for different reasons. With AA, my enjoyment was somewhat dampened by having to retrace my steps so often (specifically, the clumsy way that it was done) and overall, I don't think I would honestly be able to say it was more fun than AC.

Quote from: MojoJojo on September 03, 2012, 10:23:24 AM.... and the combat was still fun even if not much was added to it (did anyone ever get the hang of that knife dodging mechanic?).

Kinda – but I found it easier to avoid having to do so. Some of the new combat, I don't think quite worked - that said, I was using mouse and keyboard with the default settings and that wasn't probably the smartest thing.

Spiteface

Quote from: MojoJojo on September 03, 2012, 10:23:24 AM
(did anyone ever get the hang of that knife dodging mechanic?).

I thought I did, once, but it is unreliable. When you do it right, you can take a knife-weilding thug down instantly, but about half the time I got stabbed first time.

Nobody Soup

don't mean to brag but I was awesome at knife dodging, I was actually quite pleased when one of the body armoured guys picked a knife up because I'd be taking him down next time he swung at me.

it was the jumping up on shields that I kept fucking up. I thought it was a pretty good game while actually carrying out the story but the free roam element didn't make me pace myself or keep playing it after I'd completed it. the city is just so grim and samey that there's not much fun to be add while I still like loading up red dead or assassins creed and just playing because the environments are so much more pleasant to be in. the other annoying thing is catwoman is much, much more fun to play as but obviously has to be ditched for the main story.

eluc55

I've heard several people say they prefer Catwoman, but for me she was a fucking chore; especially the hit and miss way that the game decided which walls you could climb and which ones you couldn't. It felt so restrictive and broken after playing as Batman, and I don't really understand what she had - gameplay wise - that he didn't.

I did find myself purring "Hello, boys" every time I surprised a gang, though. Proper sexy, I was.   

Angst in my Pants

Quote from: eluc55 on September 15, 2012, 01:47:40 AM
I did find myself purring "Hello, boys" every time I surprised a gang, though. Proper sexy, I was.   
I like to imagine Nightwing saying the same thing...

Nobody Soup

worryingly that might have been part of the appeal. catwoman beating people up for fun just fits her personality, batman swooping down on a bunch of thugs that are already in prison and then breaking their arms again just doesn't fit, but also I just found her combat better to play, which is the only reason to play the game now. she's a lot quicker so I feel I can muck about a bit more. her animations look a lot more stylish and fitting for a gymnastic woman, all flicky kicks and posing, some of the moves batman does look ridiculous coming from a bulked up 6 foot plus guy, like the forward somersault where he heels them in the head. also her weapons are stripped down compared to batman and make more sense and she feels cleaner to control. I'm constantly accidently laying gel explosives on the ground as batman, which also looks shit.

I'm only going back to it because I get a kick out of fighting lots of people, though you're right, the actual travelling through the city probably isn't as good.

Still Not George

Bought this in the Steam Sale at the insistence of some of you lot.

I'm not very far in, as I keep getting distracted by side-missions and just gliding/rappelling around the city. Pretty awesome so far, although the DX11 bug is still a stack of shit way over a year after release. I assume everyone else immediately spotted the resemblance between Harley Quinn and Crazy Nightclub-Owning Vampire Lady from Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines?

Also, the reload screens during the Harley/Joker bit close to the beginning give me a certain thrill. I think it might be the on-the-floor camera angle.