Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:13:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

EA Louse - Why Warhammer Online Failed And Other Stories

Started by Still Not George, October 14, 2010, 02:32:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Still Not George

Y'know how I'm always going on and on about how the games industry is mostly populated by good, creative, hardworking people working for complete shithead executives that couldn't manage a fucking piss-up in a brewery and pushed into stupid fucking positions by a corporate publisher culture that's predominantly about coke and hookers, resulting in endless middle-of-the-road shit that's given wonderful marks by bribe-happy dickweed games journos that frankly can't fucking write so just quote the PR releases verbatim?

Well, some brave soul at EA Mythic seems to agree with me. He's a soon-to-be-dumped member of the Warhammer: Age of Reckoning team, a game that completed some kind of strange temporal loop by completely jettisoning anything that made it worth playing in order to look more like World of Warcraft, a game based in a world from a series that ripped off the Warhammer World in the first place. He names names and rants a lot. The comments section consists mainly of people agreeing loudly with him and Star Wars fanboys complaining about the nasty tone he takes towards The Old Republic.

As a note, in the trade section at Gamescom, EA had one of the 4 exhibition halls reserved solely for their PR department. If anyone represents everything that is wrong with this industry, it remains EA.

Rolf Harris

Quote from: Still Not George on October 14, 2010, 02:32:25 AM
If anyone represents everything that is wrong with this industry, it remains EA.

What about Activision? Not that I'm in love with EA, but I thought over the years they'd improved and Activision had taken the mantle as EVIL TYRANTS OF THE GAME INDUSTRY.

Mister Six

Doesn't seem to be loading. Can anyone copy/paste from their cache?

Zero Gravitas

Developer in accusations of managerial incompetence shocker!
Managerial staff in mind boggling incompetence shocker!

I think that was the gist of it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

EA can please keep on publishing your lovely games oh god I love them so much eat my shit in hell.

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: Rolf Harris on October 14, 2010, 11:32:27 AM
What about Activision? Not that I'm in love with EA, but I thought over the years they'd improved and Activision had taken the mantle as EVIL TYRANTS OF THE GAME INDUSTRY.

I think Activision-Blizzard have definitely taken the lead. Bobby Kotick is dangerously greedy and is now unfortunately backed by the ridiculous amounts of money that World Of Warcraft makes for him to enact his insanity.

Famous Mortimer

Warhammer was kinda crap though, even in the beginning. Lest we forget.

Still Not George

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 14, 2010, 01:30:44 PM
Warhammer was kinda crap though, even in the beginning. Lest we forget.
This being pretty much what the guy's saying; "if management weren't such a bunch of monumentally stupid, corporate-politics dickwads we wouldn't have made such a fucking hash of the Realm vs Realm gameplay we already fucking perfected in Dark Age of Camelot, in favour of trying to be WoW."

I remember that being my first impression of WAR. "WTF is this? I thought this was supposed to be Warhammer?"

Quote from: Slaaaaabs on October 14, 2010, 01:07:52 PM
I think Activision-Blizzard have definitely taken the lead. Bobby Kotick is dangerously greedy and is now unfortunately backed by the ridiculous amounts of money that World Of Warcraft makes for him to enact his insanity.
Bobby Kotick is just a wanker though. Activision are a special case, a massively over-funded knobhead machine. EA are emblematic of the problems that afflict the rest of the industry.

jutl

No, seriously, what were the PR department exhibiting?

Still Not George

Quote from: jutl on October 14, 2010, 03:11:18 PM
No, seriously, what were the PR department exhibiting?
I have absolutely no idea. The whole section was walled off, as far as I can tell it was mainly press getting schmoozed. I just got a business card for someone from EA Partners and left 'em to it.

chand

Quote from: Still Not George on October 14, 2010, 02:13:58 PMI remember that being my first impression of WAR. "WTF is this? I thought this was supposed to be Warhammer?"
Bobby Kotick is just a wanker though. Activision are a special case, a massively over-funded knobhead machine. EA are emblematic of the problems that afflict the rest of the industry.

I suppose you have a different angle on it, in terms of the behind the scenes. To the average gamer, Activision have become the big evil one (painful milking of the Guitar Hero games, price hikes for MW2, the recent Infinity Ward farce, almost managing to nix Brutal Legend, dropping Ghostbusters because they wouldn't be able to make a long-running franchise out of it), and stuff outside that which is either pish or appears to have been published as an afterthought. Whereas EA won back some goodwill by investing in new IPs like Mirror's Edge, Dead Space and Dragon Age. Although EA's DLC policies are mind-blowing, the amount of tat they try to sell people.

madhair60

EA were involved with Henry Hatsworth, so they're alright.