Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:21:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Films Channel 4 used to show late at nights, in its early years

Started by Jake Thingray, October 16, 2010, 04:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake Thingray

It's Very Cold In Canada (1977, 102 minutes)

Heroin addict and ex-professor
Don Hippie goes on the rampage
after someone calls him a
turd.

Ian Mildcheddar

End of the Dime Novel (1981, 144 mins)

A father and son go on a cross-state road trip to
attend the guided tour of a soon to close cereal factory.

Jake Thingray

Wilderness Of Lust Magnified (1980, Swedish) 98 minutes

In a post-apocalyptic wasteland, the survivors wander around an abandoned city, contemplating the meaninglessness and emptiness of their existence. Just when you're about to fall asleep, the scenes of graphic lesbianism start.

kidsick5000

The Sex Mission 1983
Polish future thing. Like an east european Two Ronnies sketch.
Two soldiers are frozen, wake up in the future where the earth has been devastated and there are no men. Lots of nudity

Four Hours of Trance Music Set to Stock Footage (1996, 240 minutes straight, 18 minutes on E)
Channel Four Productions' first transition from the small to the big screen. Available on home VHS recordings in-between episodes of The Passenger.

BlodwynPig

The sex mission...

I'm sure I saw that one...quite an interesting film, artfully shot :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexmission

kidsick5000

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 16, 2010, 09:18:11 PM
The sex mission...

I'm sure I saw that one...quite an interesting film, artfully shot :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexmission

It's a film I'm genuinely surprised hasn't had a Hollywood remake. Not a huge remake but it's perfect for a Rob Schneider level actor

Emily Very Blunt

P'tang Yang Cyberman British 1985

JACK THINGLEIGH, a dissolute obsessive newspaper columnist tells his story in flashback as he talks to his unseen psychiatrist, of how his Father, a university lecturer, left the family home never to return and his Mother never explained why. Feeling abandoned he retreats into a world of TV sci-fi fantasy until one day he hears his mother on the phone saying that his Father ran off with his assistant. From this he begins to believe his father is actually Tv's DOCTOR WHO and runs off to find him hoping he'll take him on adventures. The conclusion plays with the viewer in the scene where young JACK follows his Father around London, sees him meeting his much younger assistant and then going into a police box, he rushes up, tears streaming in his eyes believing his father is abandoning him again in the Tardis, only to push open the doors to catch his father mid-shag his flaccid backside wobbling[nb]...possibly a tribute to the sets of the seventies and also "the most moving bit of acting in the film - Alexander Walker"[/nb] forlornly, searing itself into Jack's psyche. In a final twist the camera pulls back to reveal the unseen psychiatrist was TOM BAKER all  along.

Jake Thingray

Hmmm. Not bad, but something about Mark Gatiss to redress the balance, please?

Emily Very Blunt

You've seen my script treatment for

Pulp Friction

After losing out on presenting a three part documentary on Horror Films for BBC4, camp sideburn sporting KIM NEWMAN[nb]sideburns played by Bruce Forsyth's hairpiece stunt double, "First time they have ever appeared remotely convincing" - Peter Bradshaw, The Guardian[/nb] decides to take revenge on MARK GATASS and other film reviewers be murdering them in gruesomely grotesque ways in a homage, nay allusion, an idea ripped off from THEATRE OF DEATH with DIANA RIGG who Americans still think is famous. CLAUDIA WINKLEMAN played by FRANKIE OUT OF THE SATURDAYS is killed by deadly acid in the form of eye liner. NEWMAN kidnaps MARK KERMODES' mother and forces a sex change on her, equipping her with a penis embedded with razor blades then lures MARK KERMODE to a northen sea town where he is killed in tribute to the  EXORCIST by YOUR MOTHER'S FUCKING COCK IN HULL.

Glebe

*chuckle!*

Not exactly C4's early days, but I remember around the early 90s they had some great film seasons around Christmas/New Year... Marx Bros, Godzilla etc. Also remember seeing Akira for the first time on C4 - only watched a bit of it, but it was my first glimpse of real anime (apart from kid's serial stuff like Ulyssess 31 etc.).

Jake Thingray

Quote from: Emily Very Blunt on October 17, 2010, 12:18:36 AM
You've seen my script treatment for

Pulp Friction

After losing out on presenting a three part documentary on Horror Films for BBC4, camp sideburn sporting KIM NEWMAN[nb]sideburns played by Bruce Forsyth's hairpiece stunt double, "First time they have ever appeared remotely convincing" - Peter Bradshaw, The Guardian[/nb] decides to take revenge on MARK GATASS and other film reviewers be murdering them in gruesomely grotesque ways in a homage, nay allusion, an idea ripped off from THEATRE OF DEATH with DIANA RIGG who Americans still think is famous. CLAUDIA WINKLEMAN played by FRANKIE OUT OF THE SATURDAYS is killed by deadly acid in the form of eye liner. NEWMAN kidnaps MARK KERMODES' mother and forces a sex change on her, equipping her with a penis embedded with razor blades then lures MARK KERMODE to a northen sea town where he is killed in tribute to the  EXORCIST by YOUR MOTHER'S FUCKING COCK IN HULL.

You're not Craig Brown, but you'll do for now.

By the way, I met Kim Newman early last year, he really does dress like that in real life and seemed strangely nervous when talking. Perhaps I'd frightened him. And the film you were thinking of is actually the splendid THEATRE OF BLOOD, not THEATRE OF DEATH which was a minor thing with Christopher Lee, and your joke's been done before; when ToB was on TV in around 1991, Geoff Andrew wrote in TIME OUT, "One envisages a remake with Michael Winner in the lead role, strangling Philip French with a reel of Bresson." And I never said Diana Rigg wasn't famous any more, just that certain silly Americans think she's still in the British public's consciousness all the time, in the way they think London is still full of fog and know nothing about the sort of shows and people the Heat-reading public follow. Depressingly, my brother drops Gatiss' name, having worked with him on a BBC3 thing nobody watched; it seems only yesterday that he was ridiculing me for being into the kind of stuff Gatiss now gets undeserved airtime to spout on about (all his hard cool grown-up mates seemed to watch NEIGHBOURS, for some reason).

kaprisky

Screw This (1981, 88 mins)

A provincial town handyman in mid-70s Britain decides to jack in his job to pursue a career on the nightclub circuit as a crooner. Unfortunately this coincides with punk breaking out so idealism, violence and casual sexual encounters abound. Notable nowadays for an early appearance in the nightclub scenes by a pre-BGT Paul Potts, billed as 'Paul Pott and the Khmer Rouge'.

Quote from: Glebe on October 17, 2010, 04:43:19 PM
Also remember seeing Akira for the first time on C4 - only watched a bit of it, but it was my first glimpse of real anime (apart from kid's serial stuff like Ulyssess 31 etc.).
Akira was on BBC2 in 1994. (Edit: And 1997)

Bingo Fury

Sherman's March.
Caught one night on Channel 4 in the 1980s. Solo filmmaker walks through the American South with the intention of making a documentary following the route of the titular Civil War general. Makes instead a completely personal odyssey, which includes meeting a local woman who tries to match-make him with her daughter. Awkward dinner ensues. These days, now people can take advantage of easily portable digital equipment and everyone has computers to edit on, Sherman's March will have lost a lot of its uniqueness and charm. At the time, it was a quirky, idiosyncratic pleasure with no commercial potential whatever, the kind of thing that would never have enough interest for a video release. (It is available on dvd now, but only as part of a multi-pack of the guy's films.)

Oh, and Themroc.

Gulftastic

Quote from: kidsick5000 on October 16, 2010, 08:22:16 PM
The Sex Mission 1983
Polish future thing. Like an east european Two Ronnies sketch.
Two soldiers are frozen, wake up in the future where the earth has been devastated and there are no men. Lots of nudity

One of their 'red triangle' films. Nudity aside, it was a pretty good film.

kidsick5000

Quote from: Gulftastic on October 19, 2010, 03:28:58 PM
One of their 'red triangle' films. Nudity aside, it was a pretty good film.

I don't think it was. By the time it was shown (early nineties I think) the Red Triangle nonsense had passed by.

Jemble Fred

I seem to recall it being shown as part of a Red Triangle season, though, maybe a 10-years-on thing.

It was an exciting film. Never watched most of it, obviously.

kaprisky

The Sex Mission was shown in 1985 (as part of Robinson's Choice) then again in 1989 as part of a science fiction season. I have never seen it.