Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:00:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Metropolitan (1990)

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, October 16, 2010, 04:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Wow!

I'd never seen this before.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100142/

It's superb. Indeed I share all the comments the reviewer makes in the link above.

And I'm utterly obsessing about the sweet-as-buttons female lead Carolyn Farina:

http://manwithoutastar.wordpress.com/2009/06/22/metropolitan-1990/

Small Man Big Horse

Funnily enough I bought this on dvd just yesterday from a charity shop for £2. I saw it years ago upon it's release and have very fond memories of it, but need to revisit it before I say more.

I wonder whatever happened to Walt Stillman...Hmmm...According to Wiki he lived in France until 2009, working on various scripts, and IMDB claims he's written and is producing Damsels In Distress which is due for release next year, but I can't find out anything else about him.

Edit: I just didn't look hard enough - lots of info is here: http://www.whitstillman.org/

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I'm guessing he must've come from a very similar background to the film and only feels confident enough to write about that specific thing. It doesn't stop other writers, I know, that's the only way I can explain why he would write such a compelling film and then go on to do hardly anything at all.

It's just a breath of fresh air, as a film, that fully explores Being Young from an unconventional starting point. The Breakfast Club goes into similar territory on an everyday high school level, but there's something about a group of young people as self-regarding as the bunch in their group that makes it really interesting viewing. I find it even more interesting discovering what counts for American 'High Society' and how it comes across from an English perspective (an almost ridiculous, protracted, multi-layered impersonation attempt).

What I most like about it is when the eventual break-up of the group happens (no real spoilers there), it's as natural as the sense that they would stay together in the same social circles forever, despite many of them despising each other. Funny, really.

Famous Mortimer

A couple of years ago, I had a rather wonderful non-relationship with a woman from down London, and I was down for a weekend and sleeping on her front room floor. She introduced me to Metropolitan at 2 in the morning once, and fell asleep on me about halfway in. The two things are kind of unrelated, other than this film would have been very good had my worst enemy introduced me to it.

A wonderful film.

Don't forget - the characters from Metropolitan have a cameo in The Last Days Of Disco.

vrailaine

I downloaded this yesterday, haven't watched it yet.

Funcrusher

I never got round to LDOD, but I remember enjoying 'Barcelona' at the time.