Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:39:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Kermode and Mayo's Film Review Show

Started by JPA, October 17, 2010, 12:39:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

Had a go with the Filmspotting podcast last night, and wow, its so much better. Instead of fannying about and gobbling each other, they actually get on with talking about films. The two presenters' many disagreements don't feel crowbarred in or put on, like Kermode and Mayo's either. Its also half the length

It's that and /Film for these ears from now on

Eis Nein

I'm also frustrated with the self-indulgence of Fathand and endorse the Filmspotting recommendations.

The Film Programme on R4 has a solid cast. They had a series of Mark Gatiss' favourite British character actors just recently. I recommend the Quarter To Three Movie Podcast, helmed by podwhoring devil's advocate Tom Chick and two associates. They discuss 1 recent release and then their lists of 3 films in a specified category. Perhaps not as erudite as the Filmspotting pair, but they also have a great chemistry. Which is important.

Not that chemistry can save an otherwise unlistenable show. One feels the webcam on Kermode and Mayo is there partly to stop them humping each other and Isaacs in the world's most sensible threeway.

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: Shameless on December 08, 2010, 06:46:08 PM
Had a go with the Filmspotting podcast last night, and wow, its so much better. Instead of fannying about and gobbling each other, they actually get on with talking about films. The two presenters' many disagreements don't feel crowbarred in or put on, like Kermode and Mayo's either. Its also half the length

Filmspotting is great, only got into it recently because of this thread. Only thing I don't like is the 'Donations' bit which makes for extremely dull listening, but I love the time they give to the film they're covering.

Plus when they read out listener feedback, guess what? IT'S ACTUALLY ABOUT FILMS.

hummingofevil

Now this might be a massive coincidence but I listened back to the full podcast with Riz Ahmed this week and thoroughly enjoyed the interview format followed by an extended review section. Kermode started his reviews with an excellent discussion of Of Gods And Men and then discussed at least two other films (Monsters, Megamind?) at length. At the end of the show when Mayo asked him what was his fillm of the week he stated that it was a tie between Of Gods And Men and Monsters. Mayo ribbed him about the fact that he actually reviewed his film of the week rather than mention it in the last 2 minutes. Kermode's response was that he was "talking to a friend" who "suggested" that he starts of his reviews with his film of the week and that "its only taken us ten years to figure that out".

Mark? Are you among us? Reveal thyself.

phes

Big thanks for the /FILM recommendation. It's a terrific show and it's been refreshing to listen to 2-4 people that are all articulate in expressing their thoughts about the films. This weeks discussion around Tron was very thought provoking and no more thorough than it deserved to be. Contrasted by the few minutes Kermode dedicated to it, time spent mostly debating 3d (again) and culminating in the opinion that it had something missing, but he didn't know what. And wittitainment - really, what the fuck is that crock of shit about, because I don't know [/Kermode]