Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:59:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Android or iPhone Games...

Started by small_world, October 17, 2010, 10:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glitch

Been really enjoying Galaxy on Fire 2, just wish there was more variety in the missions.

Cerys

Quote from: Still Not George on January 12, 2011, 05:59:22 PM
Well, our first Android game is ludicrously close to completion now.

... and it's now released.  Yay!

Cerys

Not sure I can - it'd go against the 'no selling' rule.

Still Not George

Nothing to see here, guv.

Spoiler alert
searching for our company name on Android Market might help you
[close]

jutl

I assume I can mention it, as it's not my game. It's fun and this version is ad-supported and free, so download it!

http://www.androlib.com/android.application.mcg-games-zwjEi.aspx

A couple of suggestions for a revised version: An OK button on the options menu and not horizontally stretching the instruction images to the width of the viewport.

Famous Mortimer

Re: whoever it was who was defending Crush the Castle on this thread, by god is that game awful. Angry Birds is so far superior to it in every conceivable way that the issue of the original idea becomes pretty much moot.

Still Not George

Quote from: jutl on January 20, 2011, 11:08:18 AM
I assume I can mention it, as it's not my game. It's fun and this version is ad-supported and free, so download it!

http://www.androlib.com/android.application.mcg-games-zwjEi.aspx

A couple of suggestions for a revised version: An OK button on the options menu and not horizontally stretching the instruction images to the width of the viewport.

Both seem to be fine now, btw.

Still Not George

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 02, 2011, 12:34:57 PM
Re: whoever it was who was defending Crush the Castle on this thread, by god is that game awful. Angry Birds is so far superior to it in every conceivable way that the issue of the original idea becomes pretty much moot.

It's a very poor port. The original is a simple Flash game on Kongregate.

Famous Mortimer

I didn't realise it was a port, but it felt like playing GTA 4 then someone suggesting GTA 1 was the better game.

Still Not George

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 02, 2011, 01:41:55 PM
I didn't realise it was a port, but it felt like playing GTA 4 then someone suggesting GTA 1 was the better game.

I've just been and played it on AG (it's an Armour Games thing, btw, not Kongregate, sorry). It's superior in the same way Canabalt is superior to Robot Unicorn Attack - purity.

Also, GTA 1 actually IS better than GTA4. GTA3, Vice City, San Andreas, they're all greatly superior to GTA 1, but GTA4 is the least fulfilling instalment of the series to date.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Still Not George on February 02, 2011, 05:03:24 PM
purity.
Clearly an overrated thing for a game to have. Crush the Castle is still not very good.

Quote from: Still Not George on February 02, 2011, 05:03:24 PMAlso, GTA 1 actually IS better than GTA4. GTA3, Vice City, San Andreas, they're all greatly superior to GTA 1, but GTA4 is the least fulfilling instalment of the series to date.
But you get my point, yes?

Still Not George

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 02, 2011, 05:05:42 PMBut you get my point, yes?
I get it, I just disagree with it strongly. CtC on iPhone is a mess, admittedly, but the original Flash game held my attention for a good while longer than Angry Birds did (I played CtC for maybe a week, while AB didn't even keep me playing for a whole day). Angry Birds might in fact define the term "overrated". Now I think of it, your GTA4 comparison is pretty apt. I'm just glad I'm an Android user so I haven't actually paid anything for it (unlike for GTA4).

mcbpete

Quote from: Still Not George on February 02, 2011, 05:03:24 PM
I've just been and played it on AG (it's an Armour Games thing, btw, not Kongregate, sorry). It's superior in the same way Canabalt is superior to Robot Unicorn Attack - purity.
I agree Canabalt is better than Robot Unicorn Attack but disagree that Crush The Castle is better than Angry birds. I saw your post a few weeks ago so decided to give it a try on the Armoured Games site but the control mechanics frustrated the fuck out of me - timing the two clicks to determine power and aim just didn't seem intuitive at all whereas pulling back and aiming the elastic band thing on Angry Birds, well, did.

Still Not George

I played CtC when it first appeared, years ago, and the two-click system seems like the easiest thing in the world even now. Angry Birds seems lobotomised in comparison. People going from Angry Birds to CtC are likely to have the opposite opinion. I can't help but feel this is one of those discussions that is never going to be resolved easily.

Still Not George

Oh, and because your avatar reminded me - GODSDAMMIT WHEN IS TOADY ONE GOING TO RELEASE AN MOBILE VERSION OF DWARF FORTRESS?!

I know, I know, it'd be near impossible. But think of the possibilities! You could continue playing DF while eating and shitting! It'd be like going rubberpants in WoW, only without getting yourself covered in your own shit!

mcbpete

My brain hasn't evenly remotely grasped Dwarf Fortress. I downloaded it, then watched a YouTube guide and ran off scared. It's still in a subfolder on my hard disk giving me a dirty look whenever I go into its parent directory...

Marvin

I'd agree that Angry Birds is the definition of overrated. A really, really fucking boring game.

MojoJojo

GameDevStory is going for 59p on ithingies at the mo. Get it while it's hot.

Zetetic

Quote from: Still Not George on February 02, 2011, 08:52:48 PM
Oh, and because your avatar reminded me - GODSDAMMIT WHEN IS TOADY ONE GOING TO RELEASE AN MOBILE VERSION OF DWARF FORTRESS?!
Sometime after FPS death isn't such a pressing problem for the desktop version, I'd hope...

Famous Mortimer

Haha you are all wrong

Angry Birds is great

Personal taste and all that blah blah blah, but obviously my taste is best.

Also, I'm struggling to find anything decent to play on it now.

Still Not George

Quote from: MojoJojo on February 03, 2011, 02:07:10 PM
GameDevStory is going for 59p on ithingies at the mo. Get it while it's hot.

Just to add, once again, that Game Dev Story is probably the best mobile phone games I've played since I got my phone, without a doubt. If you're at all into sim games (like Rollercoaster Tycoon or Theme Hospital) you really owe it to yourself to buy it. It may not remotely resemble actual game development, but it's a tycoon game tour de force.

Quote from: Zetetic on February 03, 2011, 02:10:58 PM
Sometime after FPS death isn't such a pressing problem for the desktop version, I'd hope...

The FPS problem is such a frustration. The basic problem is that while Toady One is a man possessed of great vision and design genius, his coding chops leave rather a lot to be desired and he never lets anyone else near his codebase. I know a guy who's so good at pathfinding optimisation he could have the thing zooming along even at full catsplosion. TDD and other techniques should leave DF running unreasonably fast on modern processors, there's just no excuse for it.

Minecraft's another frustrating one. When my not-a-slouch machine can't run a game consisting entirely of flat-lit primitives at FAR distance on FANCY rendering mode, then someone needs to have words with Mr "I code everything in fucking Java" about how to use the Native interface system.

Has anyone tried the ps 1 emulator for android yet? I've been playing on snesoid quite a bit this week and have even bought a zeemote bluetooth controller which I've found to be too small for my massive manly hands (I imagine most of you lot will be ok with it though).
I've also been on the look out for the N64 emulator but it doesn't seem to be available yet. Is it available for the iphone, has anyone tried it?

Ignatius_S

iCapitalism - rejected from Apple's App Store.

QuoteHow do I play?
Click on the Play tab. Then click Increase Your Level. You will be presented with a list of level upgrades you can purchase with real money.

So there's really no skill involved?
None at all! The person who pays us the most wins. The rest are displayed on a leaderboard in descending order.

Does my money get me anything besides a higher spot on the leaderboard?
When you increase your level you can enter a custom message. All other players can see this when you're on leaderboard. The top payer player becomes the "Head Honcho," and their (inevitably more important) message will be the first thing everyone sees when they boot the app.

Who are you, and why would you create something like this?
iCapitalism was created by the people behind Forumwarz, the browser RPG based on Internet culture. A long time ago, we promised our audience that it wouldn't be possible to gain a competitive advantage by paying more than another player. What could be worse than grinding for weeks and building up your stats, only to find that some jerk-off kid paid $20 and surpassed you?

However, we've seen that there are other web games where you can simply purchase a competitive advantage...we're looking at you, popular Facebook farm simulator! Having tried said games, we were stunned to discover that not only do they allow people to surpass you with microtransactions, but it's almost impossible to play competitively without it!

We're going to keep our word about not doing this to Forumwarz. But there's nothing stopping us from doing it in a new game! And if you're going to do something, you might as well do it right. Hence, iCapitalism.
http://blog.forumwarz.com/2011/02/01/irejected-how-apple-took-nine-weeks-to-arbitrarily-reject-our-app/

Still Not George

So have they banned "I AM RICH" yet?

Consignia

Quote from: Still Not George on February 04, 2011, 04:34:35 PM
So have they banned "I AM RICH" yet?

That big red jewel? Yeah that was binned almost straight away on the App Store wasn't it? It's still going strong Android IIRC.

Still Not George

There are no controls whatsoever on Android, mind.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Still Not George on February 04, 2011, 04:49:53 PM
Although Google does have some rules for the Android Market - certainly, the developers were 'only' allowed to a maximum of $200.

Still Not George

Point remains, though. Satirising the Android Market is a-OK, satirising Apple on the other hand...

Zetetic

Quote from: Still Not George on February 03, 2011, 08:18:30 PM
The basic problem is that while Toady One is a man possessed of great vision and design genius, his coding chops leave rather a lot to be desired and he never lets anyone else near his codebase.
I've never been convinced of the claim that his programming ability is poor, although maybe his technique or overall approach to DF is. I that the output side of DF is now worked upon by those other than Toady One. Which is progress of a sort.a

QuoteI know a guy who's so good at pathfinding optimisation he could have the thing zooming along even at full catsplosion. TDD and other techniques should leave DF running unreasonably fast on modern processors, there's just no excuse for it.
Perhaps!

Quote from: Still Not George on February 04, 2011, 04:49:53 PM
Have they stated that they'll no longer pull apps on the whim of carriers?