Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:56:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Android or iPhone Games...

Started by small_world, October 17, 2010, 10:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Still Not George

Quote from: Zetetic on February 04, 2011, 10:39:20 PM
I've never been convinced of the claim that his programming ability is poor, although maybe his technique or overall approach to DF is. I that the output side of DF is now worked upon by those other than Toady One. Which is progress of a sort.a
Everything that happens in DF happens in invisible turns, so essentially it's a batch database processing problem. That's the part that's broken; DF is rarely slowed down by its UI. Fast, deep manipulation of large data sets is a well-formed problem space, and can be performed insanely fast with the right techniques. That it's not suggests Toady is going about it all the wrong way.

QuotePerhaps!
DF could be split between cores (it's not). That's just the start. It really wouldn't be hard to make it faster.

QuoteHave they stated that they'll no longer pull apps on the whim of carriers?
They didn't, really - they pull apps at any serious level of reporting. But there's absolutely nothing stopping you from re-presenting the same app. Carriers don't generally bother now unless it's actively libellous. About the only thing they routinely kick now is rooting apps.

AsparagusTrevor

Does anyone know any decent trivia/quiz games for Android?

My non-tech-savvy wife has made the jump from a low-level Sony Ericsson phone to a low-level smart phone, the HTC Wildfire. She played around with my HTC Desire HD and loved how it worked, so when she heard there was a phone is pretty much a budget equivalent she set her heart on it. She's always used her phones to kill time playing games and she mainly likes puzzle games like Bejewelled style stuff which isn't hard at all to find, but she also liked to play Trivial Pursuit a lot, but I can't seem to find a decent replacement on the market. So, any ideas?

Also Pool games? I have Pool Break Pro on my phone, but it seems to work terribly on the Wildfire, glitching graphics that ruin the game.

Famous Mortimer

I'm currently disappointed with the crop of patience games, just for that ten minutes while I'm drifting off to sleep. My favourite for the iPhone has no direct comparison, it seems. Just decent-sized cards, Vegas scoring, keeping the score from one game to the next...they're all disappointing. Boo. In fact, since Angry Birds all the games seem a little pointless.

Still Not George

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 13, 2011, 07:22:08 AM
I'm currently disappointed with the crop of patience games, just for that ten minutes while I'm drifting off to sleep. My favourite for the iPhone has no direct comparison, it seems. Just decent-sized cards, Vegas scoring, keeping the score from one game to the next...they're all disappointing. Boo. In fact, since Angry Birds all the games seem a little pointless.

Robot Defence and Alchemy have been my two free standbys, and Game Dev Story remains the only thing I've paid for (and would recommend others do likewise). Oh, and Numerix. Of course.

I'm currently working on something Diablo-ish (while Project Two lingers on in limbo). It has a gigantic twist, but I can't go into that yet for obvious reasons. Should be ready for beta in a couple of weeks, but would any Androiders on here be up for trying it out in alpha? PM me if you are.

Still Not George

I'm spending a little of my Sunday afternoon trawling the Market for good games. Zenonia seems OK if you like early 90s Japanese RPGs (with huge long intro sections). I quite like Star Trader too, although it's probably not to everyone's taste. I'm trying to get the hang of Archmage (a sort of vaguely Magic The Gathering thing) with not much success, but that might just be because I'm rubbish.

Dungeon Raid is currently 59p:

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/dungeon-raid/id403090531?mt=8

Don't buy it if you've got any plans for the day though, it's a fucking timesink and a half.

TIAL

I'm currently very addicted to Tiny Wings. Yes it's another one of those 'see how far you can get' games but without all the powerups. You touch the screen to get 'heavier' and propell yourself by cleanly landing on the undulating surface. I love the simplicity of both the game and one-touch controls

Currently top of the game charts in the app store.

mcbpete

I can't wait for when (if) this gets ported over to Android:

http://www.vimeo.com/5892502

iPhone users (you lucky sods) and/or those unlike me with a computer that doesn't lock up after 5 minutes of playing anything even remotely demanding can get it from here - http://www.hemispheregames.com/osmos/

Still Not George

Zero Gravitas

mcbpete

Quote from: Still Not George on February 25, 2011, 02:15:30 PM
So, er, flOw then?
No not like fl0w. It has a similar ambient music and graphic style but gameplay wise it's completely different

Still Not George

Quote from: mcbpete on February 25, 2011, 03:13:51 PM
No not like fl0w. It has a similar ambient music and graphic style but gameplay wise it's completely different
In that you play as a thingy which floats around eating smaller things and avoiding being eaten by bigger things?

Oh, wait, it's touchscreen, and is therefore entirely different.

mcbpete

Just stop being wrong for a change SNG. In flow you can eat things that are bigger than you (in fact that's the main concept of the game), in flow you dont lose your size by moving, in flow there's no dealing with fluid dynamics or gravity, in flow the strategy is based on quick manoeuvring to avoid creatures rather than careful propulsion of something with massive inertia. The games are different.....

jutl

Quote from: mcbpete on February 25, 2011, 03:24:45 PM
Just stop being wrong for a change SNG. In flow you can eat things that are bigger than you (in fact that's the main concept of the game), in flow you dont lose your size by moving, in flow there's no dealing with fluid dynamics or gravity, in flow the strategy is based on quick manoeuvring to avoid creatures rather than careful propulsion of something with massive inertia. The games are different.....

Stop supporting your argument: you'll just annoy him.

mcbpete

I apologetically retract my first sentence though, it makes me sound like a right c*nt

TIAL

Quote from: Still Not George on February 25, 2011, 03:15:43 PM
In that you play as a thingy which floats around eating smaller things and avoiding being eaten by bigger things?

Aren't most games in some way comparable to others though? It's like that theory that there are only 7 types of story, isn't it how the game plays that matters?

I really like Osmos, by the way. Especially the orbit levels.

Still Not George

Quote from: mcbpete on February 25, 2011, 03:44:01 PM
I apologetically retract my first sentence though, it makes me sound like a right c*nt
I, personally, prefer the left c*nt

mcbpete

Is that your way of admitting that maybe for once you might have jumped to the wrong conclusion based on a 90 second video ;)

Still Not George

Quote from: mcbpete on February 25, 2011, 11:04:54 PM
Is that your way of admitting that maybe for once you might have jumped to the wrong conclusion based on a 90 second video ;)

You must admit that it does walk, smell, quack and make a good duck a l'orange like a duck. I'll concede the gravity stuff, though, looks kinda cool.

Zetetic

It's been a while since I've played fl0w (and only the Flash version at that), but I don't remember any mechanic involving a trade-off between conserving mass (and an associate ability to survive and win) and gaining velocity. Which is, pretty, much the complete mechanics of Osmos.

Edit: Returning to fl0w, movement doesn't involve any commitment (other than not moving in a different direction). Osmos largely (but not entirely, there's a subset of the game that's dedicated to 'sentience' but the 'lifeforms' therein obey very clearly stated rules) concerns itself with passive physical systems that you then interact with, rather than competing with other creatures. The video does rather mis-represent this, so I can see why you might've made a greater connection with fl0w. Overall, the controls and the challenges are really quite different, noting that I've only ever played Osmos on a non-touchscreen device.

You should give it a go when you can. At least outside of the sentience subset of levels, it's very laid-back and 'ambient' (or so it insists).

MojoJojo

Pretty Elite-style space sim with added RPG elements Galaxy On Fire 3D is free at the moment.