Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:40:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Social Network (Facebook film)

Started by Icehaven, October 17, 2010, 11:59:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Anyone else seen this? It's OK, well written and some good performances (although the chap playing Mark Zuckerberg is Michael Cera with the bugging cutesyness and irony exctracted) but without knowing how it all actually happened (which obviously no one but those involved can) it all feels a bit pointless and speculative.
Spoiler alert
Anyway, it's hard to feel any empathy or sympathy for anyone involved. Zuckerberg himself comes out looking worse of all of course, but not really for supposedly pinching the idea for Facebook, (which, even if it happened just like it did in the film, he only slightly pinched) but more because it suggests he's totally rude, extremely creepy, socially inept, quite cruel and self-aggrandising, that he completely shafted his best mate financially and personally several times over, and would probably sell his own grandmother to be successful and therefore 'cool'. The fact that viewers might come away believing that an adolescent obsession with a girl/getting back at said girl fuelled the whole endeavour probably pisses him off more than the plagiarism accusations, because it makes him look like a sad prat.
Those twins are apparently so unsympathetic and weird (and rich and well connected) that you really don't give a shit that they lost out. The film doesn't suggest they also intended to expand Facebook to other Unis and then to everyone, which is obviously how it became so successful, although I presume they now say that was always the plan. Edouardo Savarin (or whatever his name was) comes out of it looking like the most decent person, I suspect he may have used part of his settlement to fund a film about his experiences....
[close]
Justin Timberlake was surprisingly good too, he gave good bitter ambitious piggybacking nerd. 

Bad Ambassador

Saverin was the only major player to co-operate with the writing of the book on which the film is based.

Icehaven

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on October 18, 2010, 12:06:48 AM
Saverin was the only major player to co-operate with the writing of the book on which the film is based.

Aha, that figures.

thugler

It was okay but,
Spoiler alert
there were a ton of flaws, and I don't know how it was getting such great reviews.

No characters to really sympathise with, all being so flawed. Idiot women all over the place (despite going to harvard, they are just reduced to fawning whores in this). Bizarre over the top partying which obviously wasn't how it happened, including a scene with a ridiculous 7 foot bong. All the characters were a bit one dimensional too, particularly the twins, and zuckerberg himself.

Special mention goes to trent reznor for his boring and inappropriate soundtrack, which sounds like a john carpenter horror soundtrack at the beginning, and later a more boring nine inch nails.

I always thought facebook was a triumph of design and a bit of luck rather than a brilliant idea. Really it didn't have anything that myspace or other sites didn't have, but it integrated elements people like, made the interface nice and clean and easy to use. The central idea was fairly old hat. For this reason I didn't quite buy zuckerberg as being as much as astonishing genius as the film would have me believe.
[close]

Icehaven

Agree,
Spoiler alert
all the women were portrayed as humourless tightarses, psychos or tarty underage flibertygibbets. Cheers!! (although to be fair, every man was a combination of sneaky, naive, ruthlessly ambitious, socially awkward, greedy, bitter, pushy, self satisfied, rude, guileless and creepy. For a film about a tool for bringing people together it kind of hated people.)
[close]

weekender

Stop it with the spoiler thing.  If I don't want spoilers I won't click on the thread.

Not having a go at anyone here, it just annoys me that most of the thread is black and unreadable.

El Unicornio, mang

Well, not everybody reads threads in the same way. It's perfectly reasonable for people to read threads about films to decide if they should bother seeing them, in which case the spoiler tags are very useful indeed. Surely nobody is a big enough limp-wristed ponce that moving their mouse pointer over some black is a great hardship?

El Unicornio, mang

It should probably be reserved for major plot twists rather than the main plotline though (not trying to have a go at anyone either though)

Icehaven

Given that the spoiler bar things seem to be in common use around here I'd presumed it was standard practice if saying anything which could give too much away. I guess I'm judging by my own pedantic standards as I like to know as little as possible about films before I see them, although fair enough,  I also wouldn't click on a thread about something I intended to see until I'd seen it (but I wouldn't presume everyone else is the same). If I hadn't seen the film and read what I and someone else wrote above, I'd feel it warranted spoilering, but maybe that's just me. And them. 

Depressed Beyond Tables

Spoiler alert
Keep using the spoilers. They're very helpful to people who don't want to read stuff (unlike you).
[close]