Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:19:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Harry Hill's Cunty Single [split topic]

Started by packageholiday, October 18, 2010, 02:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vrailaine

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on October 21, 2010, 09:52:28 PM
Customers who viewed his forthcoming album also viewed Ben Stein's Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed. Interesting
That could just as easily be people who are against it though. I viewed Ben Stein's Expelled, was surprised it had so many reviews on amazon uk.

Twibbie

Oooh, people mentioning Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed allows me to re-post one of my all-time favourite Conservapedia quotes:

Quote from: ConservapediaBecause of the apparent blackballing of the film by people who had never seen it, it is difficult to tell what actual viewers of the film thought. Removing the almost obligatory '1' ratings under the above assumption 1600 voters on the IMDB website gave it a 8.5 rating on a scale from 1 to 10.

Edit: On topic, everything about this song is horrible fucking crappy shit. I've stuck with TV Burp through the increasing amounts of nasty bile (which were always present, but have grown as observed by almost everyone), and was actually heartened that the start of this series, though not earth-shattering, haven't been as soft-target-bullying as I was fearing... yet. Hard to hold out much hope for that continuing now.

Yes

Obviously it's shit, but how well do we reckon this will sell?

23 Daves

Quote from: Yes on October 22, 2010, 07:36:46 PM
Obviously it's shit, but how well do we reckon this will sell?

It will sell next-to-nothing.  It's not tied to Comic Relief, it won't get played on the radio because it's not a good enough song in its own right, and a few YouTube plays is about all people who actually like this slab of shit are going to bother with.  Can you imagine people listening to this daily on their iPods?

I'm something of a collector of Novelty singles, but this is probably one of the worst I've ever heard.  It's beneath even "Fish and Chips in Spain" by Australian country 'star' Grahame Lister, and trust me, that one's jawdroppingly bad.  "Si si seniorita, Monty Pyfon is me bruvva-in-law..."

Small Man Big Horse

I don't know, if he plugs it enough on Tv Burp people may buy it. And it doesn't take that many sales to make it in to the top 20 these days.

Lfbarfe

Quote from: 23 Daves on October 20, 2010, 11:16:18 PM
Lots of comments on the Guardian website from working class Guardian readers chav-bashing I see, more or less proving my point above (presuming they are actually working class, of course). 

I used to think that commenters on newspaper websites were readers of that newspaper, but I've been led to believe that newspaper website commenters are a sub-species all of their own, and that the bastards who stink up the Guardian site with that sort of shit are the same cunts who comment over at the Mail's site.

Borboski

Quote from: Blumf on October 19, 2010, 09:59:16 PM
Use Google Earth/Maps, look at a council estate. Count the number of black circles you see in back gardens. Compare with a more up-market estate like wot HH resides in.

Oh we have our own trampolines, but they are much bigger, they look like MMA rings...  Someone we knew in buying their house needed a garden big enough to host them.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: vrailaine on October 21, 2010, 10:04:44 PM
That could just as easily be people who are against it though. I viewed Ben Stein's Expelled, was surprised it had so many reviews on amazon uk.

Of course, there have been some scary things I've been recommended for such reasons I can tell you. But still it's kind of startling to see it, probably a sign of how few people are looking at Hill's album more than anything.

ApexJazz

This is the most exciting thing Harry Hill has done in a long time. Not because of any intrinsic comedic value, but because he's riled up people he normally makes complacent.  It successfully touches nerves and people will resent that.  A separate discussion, but "Chav culture" is fair game for comedy. Maybe if this parody video was part of a top-to-bottom social satire it would have my passing approval, but standing alone it's a nasty piece of sneering. Hill's affected light entertainment-ness makes it seem all the more malicious.
Too few have suspected the clown's contempt hidden behind the harmless muppet smile. Harry Hill's comedic imagination, spectacularly seen early in Fruit Stand and briefly glanced in all his work, is wonderfully creative. His style has settled into a comfortable surrealism, cheery and escapist, a type of updated music hall. It is the opposite of biting.
His fluffy breathy voice softens whatever threat TV Burp (the british translation of the bitchy Talk Soup format) could offer. Today, TV Burp is little more than a commercial. It was always pretty toothless stuff anyway, but whatever hint of edge has long worn off. (It shouldn't be surprising that it's his biggest popular success and least unique show).
As performer, Hill is a marvelous technician, controlled and calibrated in ways Reeves & Mortimer can't manage.  Even at his most mechanical, I rarely tire of watching him and his inventive physical tagging. And yet his mugging is cold, the friendly face fixed and empty. This is no judgment on Harry Hill the man since it happens to many who no longer get joy from performing (Hill's dead eyes remind me of Laurence Olivier's in The Entertainer). And let's face it, so many years promoting the dreck of tv would suck the soul out of anyone's body. But this bladder emptying upon his typical ITV crowd is striking. Possibly Hill is banking on their lack of self-awareness. Unlike his friend and court jester to BNP voters Al Murray, Hill won't have ironic deniability.
Many performers create forks in the road for themselves to separate from their followers and they don't always fully understand why they do it. Because it's Hill, this piece catches by surprise (not that he's releasing a music album, comedians who sing a little secretly want to sing a lot), I can imagine "I Want A Baby" being accepted from a less "light" comedian. Will Hill turn to more social comment (for better or worse, that video is) or will he retreat back to friendly irreverent irrelevance? The money is probably too good from the latter to risk on the former. I can't wait to see what Hill does next.

Mary is not amused

Quote from: ApexJazz on October 24, 2010, 11:36:25 PM
Too few have suspected the clown's contempt hidden behind the harmless muppet smile.

Mary is not amused

Tiny Poster

There's been a 'biting' undercurrent apparent in some of Hill's work since the second series of his Channel 4 show. However, it was always aimed at the media/showbiz and his own place in that hierarchy (jibes at C4's management, "My wife can't stand you - says you move about too much", "You'll always be a late-night cult", comic strips on his website about weeping as his manager counts up the mentions of him in the day's newspapers, TV Burp) but over the past few ITV years the odd class sneeriness has crept in, whether it's about tagine being some sort of unutterably la-di-da meal, or Sharon Osbourne promoting 'Chavda'.

I Wanna Baby is the first exclusive manifestation of the latter attitude, eschewing all music-hall campery, self-deprecating punchlines of Jack Handey-inspired wordplay. Put simply, it is unpleasant, uninspired and unfunny.

Lfbarfe

Quote from: ApexJazz on October 24, 2010, 11:36:25 PM
This is the most exciting thing Harry Hill has done in a long time.

I'm so glad you've put this here, having spoke along these lines on the radio last Wednesday. It's a very interesting assessment. A monumental act of hubris ("Look, I'm pissing in your mouths, and you lap it up") or an act of self-destruction ("I can't pander to the plebs any longer. Oh fuck, they love me taking the piss out of them because they don't think it applies to them."). Eeenterestink. Veddy eenterestink.

Ginyard

It has made me want to buy a trampoline.

Jake Thingray

Quote from: Why I Hate Tables on October 19, 2010, 09:13:19 PM
the sound of Harry Hill really jumping the shark infested custard.

That made me laugh just now.

momatt

What on earth is wrong with trampolines?  I don't own one myself, but they're so much fun!
Does this mean I'm a chav, but with less of the drive and ambition?

This song is truly hateful and awful in every way.  But it is still stuck in my head like some sort of parasitic worm.  :(

Saw Harry Hill doing stand-up a few months ago.  He was great; back to the old jumping all over the place, short-attention span mentalness.  And he brought Gary the puppet.  So why on Earth did he do this song?

Tiny Poster

Yeah, I really wish he'd tour again. Hooves was, what, 5 years ago? And the musical tour was in 2006.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

He did a charity tour to raise money for the elderly about two years ago.

momatt

Quote from: Kishi the Bad Lampshade on October 26, 2010, 01:45:42 AM
He did a charity tour to raise money for the elderly about two years ago.

What an absolute cunt.

"Publisher DC Thomson has also confirmed that Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson will appear on the cover of a future issue." is amusing, given the circumstances.

benthalo

The new Radio Times is listing Harry Hill for next Tuesday's Later with Jools Holland on BBC2. Speaking rather than performing, thankfully.

Little Hoover

koeman

He should have called the girl Sharon instead of Chantelle. Then they could have had the director calling them to the shoot, and he'd have shouted 'Harry Hill. Sharon.' And then, in a hilarious mix-up, former Israeli prime-minister Ariel Sharon (or a lookalike, as he's in a permanent vegetative state) could have walked out in front of camera. Now that would have been funny.

Maybe I shouldn't drink on Wednesdays.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Lfbarfe on October 25, 2010, 01:41:28 PM
I'm so glad you've put this here, having spoke along these lines on the radio last Wednesday. It's a very interesting assessment. A monumental act of hubris ("Look, I'm pissing in your mouths, and you lap it up") or an act of self-destruction ("I can't pander to the plebs any longer. Oh fuck, they love me taking the piss out of them because they don't think it applies to them."). Eeenterestink. Veddy eenterestink.

I prefer:

QuotePut simply, it is unpleasant, uninspired and unfunny

I'll have to remember to make some painfully shit obnoxious right-wing comedy song if it galvanises my own millions strong liberal left fanbase, because they're so up-their-own-arses delusional about his comic ability that they can't even perceive Most Obviously Shit Thing Ever as just that, despite hints of the exact same unpleasantness in the background of his work for ages.

That making-of video is terribly cunty. Everybody is comfortable in their easy-target mocking attitude. The worst bit for me is when a dancer says "they had to give me a lot of padding!". Yes, to make you look like the fat girl you're working with. Hahah. The big stupid fatty.

bomb_dog

Quote from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyF2kdFIwsY&feature=player_embedded
Quote#cookdandbombdcouk
3 hours ago
Right-wing, punching-down scum.

Quote#enigma19833
2 hours ago
LOL YES! It's about time that someone had a go at those fucking poor people who live on estates. I'm deffo buying this, well done Harry!

Small Man Big Horse

Amazingly BB's Sam Pepper's comedy single is slightly funnier than Mr Harry's.

Sam Pepper - Ask Tom Cruise

Though it is still horrifically shit most of the time.