Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:38:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I'm Still Here

Started by alan nagsworth, October 20, 2010, 09:10:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Has anyone managed to see this yet? It's floating around with Spanish subtitles at the moment and I'm waiting for mine to download as I'm currently too skint to travel across towns to catch it at an independent cinema. From what I've heard, it's definitely gonna sit in my 'good' books when comparing the good/bad reviews. I find the fact that Phoenix has done practically nothing else for the last year or so interesting considering his previous high status as an actor; it's quite a bold move to make and I certainly hope this whole ruse thing lives up to the time and effort (or lack thereof) put into it.

Will post back when I've given it a look...

Ignatius_S

The more I read, the more I think they've been 'influenced' by other people. A while of the Letterman appearance, I was reminded of when Crispin Glover famously appeared in character – here's the story cribbed from Wikipedia:
QuoteGlover controversially appeared on Late Night with David Letterman on July 28, 1987, to promote the movie River's Edge, in which he starred.[6] Unbeknownst to Letterman and the audience, Glover appeared in character as "Rubin", from a then-unreleased movie Rubin and Ed, wearing platform shoes and a wig. Rather than a conventional interview, Glover staged an Andy Kaufman-like shtick. After being goaded by a woman in the audience (who some argue had been planted),[7] Glover became incensed and stated that he "knew that this was gonna happen" and that "the press, they can do things, they can twist things around". After a failed attempt to challenge Letterman to an arm-wrestling match Glover delivered an impromptu karate kick just inches from Letterman's face while shouting, "I'm strong... I can kick!"[8] Letterman then abruptly ended the segment by walking off stage, saying "I'm going to check on the Top 10", and the program cut to commercial.

The subsequent confusion and controversy surrounding his appearance was compounded by the fact that Rubin and Ed was not actually released until 1991; however, the movie had been in development since before Back to the Future — Crispin had actually already devised Rubin's "look" by 1985.[9] Almost no-one, apparently including Letterman, understood what Glover was doing and the interview became the hallmark of the "weird" TV guest.