Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:54:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Movielens

Started by Mister Six, October 20, 2010, 08:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Probably quite a few of you are aware of Movielens already, but if not it's best described as being 'last.fm for movies'. You log in to http://movielens.umn.edu and start rating movies that you've seen from 0.5 to 5 stars. After you've done about 100 it'll start coming up with predictions for movies you may like, based on the opinions of other users with similar interests.

Its predictions are usually astonishingly accurate and it's helped me find some real gems that I would never have come across otherwise - most recently the oddball detective movie 'Zero Effect'. People have started adding stand-up comedy DVDs and TV movies of late, which seems a bit off but might be of use to some, I suppose.

Has anyone else given this a go? What do you think? And what fun movies has the site found that you would recommend to others?

kittens

Thanks for this, looks like it could be quite good. And that movie rating bit at the start is really gonna help me to waste my day off tomorrow.

Custard

I've been using Rate Your Music (http://rateyourmusic.com/) for this kinda thing, as you can rate films on there too.

Will have a look though. I'm a sucker for this rating shiznit!

Mister Six

By the way: if anyone does log in, would they mind going to page six (or possibly seven by the time you read this) of the 'vote which films should be included' pages and put in a vote for Telstar? It's one of the best movies I've seen this year but, cruelly, isn't on the database.

kittens

I spent about an hour choosing films last night, and when I went onto the main site thing I didn't like it. That was a good hour though, so thanks.

lazyhour

Seems quite a flaky site. Half the time when I click a link (like a Shortcut, or to move from page 1 to page 2) it'll take me to a completely unexpected page. All I want to do is rate more randomly-selected films and the site won't let me!

lazyhour

It seems to be behaving itself now.

AsparagusTrevor

Thanks, this killed a good few hours for me at work today when I had fuck all else to do.

lazyhour

Yeah, it's strangely addictive.  77 movies rated, and it's already started recommending a lot of my favourite films. I'm impressed.

Mister Six

You'll find it doing that - it's worth rating those films as well (and adjusting if it's even half a star over or under) and pretty soon you'll get new stuff that should be to your taste.

Famous Mortimer

Every time I click on any of the links to the left, it just takes me to a list which starts with the films I've already rated, which is a bit of a pain. It could do with being a smidge more user-friendly, I think, but other than it looks pretty good fun.

Oh, and "FamousMortimer", if anyone can figure out the buddies thing.

Mister Six

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on October 24, 2010, 11:52:55 AM
Every time I click on any of the links to the left, it just takes me to a list which starts with the films I've already rated, which is a bit of a pain. It could do with being a smidge more user-friendly, I think, but other than it looks pretty good fun.

Oh, and "FamousMortimer", if anyone can figure out the buddies thing.

That's odd. What browser are you using?

Famous Mortimer

S'alright, it started working again.

This is good. You should start using it.