Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:51:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Manager 2011 (Demo)

Started by Hobes, October 21, 2010, 02:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobes

Just a quick heads up to say that the demo for the new game is available through Steam and the Mirror site. I think it is the Strawberry demo.
Downloaded it overnight but haven't had a chance to play yet.

look forward to discussing soon.

thugler

Hopefully this one is better than the last one, it was a bit buggy and players/clubs behaved a bit weirdly. 2006 or 7 I think was a peak in the last few

The Plunger

I finally upgraded to FM2008 about a year or so ago, after years of playing CM01/02 and installing the transfer updates. After a while I've gotten used to the new FM and grown to appreciate it. However, I find that it takes ages to work my way through a season on FM, and the press interaction etc is a useless distraction that can't be turned off (as far as I know). So whilst I think FM2011 will no doubt be excellent, to my mind it's going to be too in-depth and time consuming. Interested to hear any opinions of the new version.

Hobes

Much of the same, there are tweeaks here and there and player interaction have been expanded into an almost conversational style (not sure yet if this is an improvement). The addition of agent to the contract negotiation screen is a hinderance (whci is perhaps the point.) The animations in the 3d view are noticably better, and the small additions/changes all make for a tighter experience.

koeman

Are you playing as Forest, Hobes? I just wondered if you have to go through David Pleat and the rest of the Transfer Acquistion Panel if you want to buy a player. Now that would be realism.

Hobes

No panel to deal with in the game, although Doughty's comments mid week seems to hint that the club won't be going down that route in January in real life. The game has Forest as favourites for promotion with 1/2 million for transfers, although the available freebies (Pires, Shittu, Basturk, van der Meyde, Mahoto and Ball to name but a few) and loanees (Bebe, Lansbury, Emmanuel-Thomas, Luke Moore) mean that squad improvement is fairly easy and cheap.

Off topic: Have you seen McGuigans free kick? there is a link on youtube. I think the game is also the featured match on the Liecester love in show tonight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hFGsuM7dpw

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Awesome. That's not far off Roberto Carlos' banana kick at Le Tournoi.

What made it even sweeter was it came on the back of the most cynical of fouls, that 'trip him up to avoid him running towards the box and collect a booking' foul. Fuck you Leadbitter.

koeman

Cheers for that link, I hadn't seen it yet, just heard Colin Fray go absolutely mental when it went in. I know how to spot 'em - watching the pre-season friendly against the Stags, I declared that McGugan's time was up, and that he'd be shipped out at the first opportunity. He's now got 7 goals in 8 games, and his latest goal saw him likened to Pele by John McGovern in today's commentary.

Hobes, BD's comments at the end of the game seem to suggest that he's heard nothing from Doughty (or 'my employers', as he phrased it) to suggest that his role has changed in any way, despite the interviewer probing him about it three times. He's such an obstinate sod at times!

The Plunger

Jesus, that free kick was absolutely outrageous ! Look forward to seeing it from a few different angles.

thugler

Just heard that you can use save games from this when the actual game comes out, so It seems like it might not be a total waste of time playing this. Has anyone played it/have any thoughts on the new bits yet?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: thugler on October 25, 2010, 07:53:08 PM
Just heard that you can use save games from this when the actual game comes out, so It seems like it might not be a total waste of time playing this. Has anyone played it/have any thoughts on the new bits yet?
Last year you could only use saved games from the demo, which sweetened the deal buying the full version for me.

Geraint

Quote from: thugler on October 25, 2010, 07:53:08 PM

you can run save games from the demo, but the demo is quickstart-based so it's only running the leagues in the country you're managing in. makes the game run super-fast, but also totally unbalances it in dozens of different ways, so no good for long-term save games in a game that lives or dies on long term appeal.

thugler

Quote from: Geraint on October 27, 2010, 03:53:34 AM
you can run save games from the demo, but the demo is quickstart-based so it's only running the leagues in the country you're managing in. makes the game run super-fast, but also totally unbalances it in dozens of different ways, so no good for long-term save games in a game that lives or dies on long term appeal.

Ah, I'll just use it as a trial run, I'm liking It so far, new features are quite good, match engine is better. There were a couple of thugs I'm used to using which I couldn't find right away. The new contract negotiations are nice and quick, so there's less screwing around once you've offered a contract.

REVEEN!

Just tried the demo and I doubt I'll bother with it this year as it doesn't seem to be that much different from last years other than everything being slightly tweaked to be a bit more tedious and annoying.

thugler

The proper game has leaked. It's annoying because I usually like to play it when it comes out so as to share in the discussion of players etc. But it might be nice to get a little practice in..

hoverdonkey

Well it's out now and I'm impressed. For once not buggy as hell on release, Steam installed a patch the first time I played it this morning. The match preparation, contract talks and new match engine are great. As ever, it needs a good skin, but there are three or four good ones already on the SI forums. Considering it's a glorified spreadsheet, having a pretty skin with all the right graphics makes all the difference.

The Plunger

An interesting blog on the new Fm (and FIFA to a certain extent) here

I want realism in my management games to a certain extent. But at the same time I want something enjoyable. Hard to please, I know, but I think for now the newer FM games are just too realistic for me.

Geraint

Quote from: hoverdonkey on November 05, 2010, 04:28:01 PM
Well it's out now and I'm impressed. For once not buggy as hell on release, Steam installed a patch the first time I played it this morning. The match preparation, contract talks and new match engine are great. As ever, it needs a good skin, but there are three or four good ones already on the SI forums. Considering it's a glorified spreadsheet, having a pretty skin with all the right graphics makes all the difference.

it's pretty buggy. not bad by release standards but some of the stuff is broken that worked fine in the demo/leaked retail version before the patch i.e the international suspensions  of french players counting for club friendlies and a Spanish league bug that means 2 yellow cards = 1 game suspension (should be 5, and this CAN'T be fixed in the editor so you've got to wait for a 2nd patch to play one of the best leagues in the world)

thugler

Two things which are irritating me already are ridiculously over stingy work permits, and players just straight up refusing to let you make a contract offer because 'the club asking is too lowly.