Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:38:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

PSPs

Started by thehungerartist, October 23, 2010, 04:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Anycunt got (a cracked) one?  I'm going to buy a PSP very soon and leaning toward the 3000 (is the Go! really worth the extra dough for a bit of bluetooth action?).

Also, games.  I don't like footy games on handhelds but am up for anything else and  the minis on PlaystationStore do seem good value.  Surprised by the amount of GTA <city name> Stories there are available for the system, they worth a look?

Briefly toyed with the idea of a DS before remembering I have a pair of bollocks.

Consignia

I've got PSP, in fact it's my most used console currently. I haven't got custom firmware on it at the moment, as it's too much hassle to play legit games on it, although I keep a pandora battery spare in case the need arrives. Don't bother with a Go, as I don't think it's hackable, and it doesn't have UMD drive, so you'd be stuck paying silly money for PSN releases.

The GTA games are acutally pretty good. Liberty City Stories I'd recommend, as Vice City spreads itself a little thinly, but still worth playing, I guess.

Thanks for the reply - the Go does seem ridiculously expensive for what is essentially the same console.  Probably won't hack it straight away because there are enough cheap UMD games out there at the moment but it's definitely on the agenda.

vrailaine

Bought it near launch 5 years ago with Burnout, cracked it the first day I could. Used it very heavily for ages playing a whole host of SNES and GBA games I always wanted too but got too easily frustrated with on a desktop computer. Stopped using it for a bit, then upgraded the firmware to play PlayStation games, got another good year or two of heavy usage.

Pretty sure the only games I've purchased since Burnout are Football Manager 2009 on the PC and the Shadow Hearts games for the PS2.

Get Lumines.

chand

The Go is a bit baffling, get a 3000 if you can. There are STILL some games that aren't on the store, including major titles like the new Kingdom Hearts, which they have no plans to release digitally despite the Go. Has a slightly smaller screen and you're locked into paying the expensive PSN prices for titles when you can get cheap second-hand UMDs.

I'd recommend God Of War: Chains Of Olympus if you had any interest in the series, worth a go on the demo if you didn't as that was probably my favourite PSP game. The follow-up is coming out soon as well. MGS Peace Walker is great too. In fact a lot of the spin-offs from major Playstation titles are worth getting; Ratchet & Clank, Wipeout Pure and especially LittleBigPlanet, which is as fun as the PS3 version. Third-person shooters on there tend to be a bit hit and miss due to the controls, only ones I really had any joy with were the two Syphon Filter games (Logan's Shadow and Dark Mirror). If you like puzzle games then Lumines, Crush, Echochrome and Exit are definitely worth getting, and LocoRoco. Motorstorm Arctic Edge and Gran Turismo are among the best racing games. If you like non-footy sports games then I'd recommend Everybody's Golf and Everybody's Tennis which I got ridiculously addicted to. Top-down shooters wise the versions of Super Stardust and Riff (Everydat Shooter) are both good. Er, there's probably some obvious ones I'm missing.

El Unicornio, mang

If you like footy games then the Fifa series on the PSP is very good, as is Pro Evo. It's also a very good system for watching movies/TV shows (nice bight widescreen and converting video files to mp4 is easy), listening to music, browsing the net, looking at pics as well as all the good games you can get for it, as well as the fact that you can download pretty much any game pre-93 for free and run them on it with emulators (and SNES/Megadrive, etc games have tiny file sizes so you can fit loads on there). I also use my PSP a lot as a portable hard drive.

Another vote for God of War too. I'm not usually into those types of games but I loved that one, and it has a nice threesome sex-game as a bonus after one of the levels.

vrailaine

It's definitely my favourite games machine of all time, the amount of usage I got out of it was immense.

The battery life is still okay and, asides from about 4 dead pixels, it hasn't had any problems at all really.

Picked one up (a 3000) from HMV this morning for £130 with God of War, Liberty City Stories and Little Big Planet thrown in.  I've played 'em all in their previous iterations but GoW is the biggest surprise - whilst I struggled to get into the first two GoW games on PS2, I'm finding Chains of Olympus quality.  Cheers for the recommendations fellas.

Spiteface

I hacked my PSP Slim & lite (using some method that did not involve battery shenanigans, that I cannot remember right now, but google it and you should find it eventually) a while ago, I pretty much only use it for playing Megadrive/SNES games on now.

(goes and looks for some shady ROM sites...)

Consignia

The homebrew scene has been a bit pish since the M33 custom firmwares had stopped being worked on. I was upgrading a mates PSP to a newer CFW last week so he could play a recent game on his, and the progression since I abandoned CFW last year has been virtually nil. Just a few hacks of old firmwares to get games going.

Quote from: thehungerartist on October 23, 2010, 04:53:42 PM
Briefly toyed with the idea of a DS before remembering I have a pair of bollocks.

Congrats, bro! I heard 'Lumines' is a good game.

Rumour sez that the PSP2 will have two cameras [one front one back] and twin thumbsticks.

chand

God Of War: Ghost Of Sparta is ace, by the way, and only £16.99 from the store.