Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:26:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

comedy in games.

Started by bitesize, October 25, 2010, 02:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Quote from: thehungerartist on October 27, 2010, 01:03:23 AM
I found the original Grand Theft Auto a very funny game.

You mean the actual, proper, viewed-from-above GTA? I don't recall there being much humour in that at all, beyond the Gouranga bonus. There weren't even that many conversations that were much more than 'Go here, do this', were there?

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: Pedro_Bear on October 26, 2010, 02:49:03 PM
The development of Lords and Ladies in Max Payne 2?

Oh yeah they were mad little asides, some of the funniest moments in Max Payne were just randomly shooting innocents in bullet-time though, something so satisfying about gunning down a shotgun-toting old lady with an Uzi and reloading the game to do it with a different gun in a different way (potential therapy for weekender there).

On a whim I picked up Eat Lead recently, some reviews calling it shoddily done but funny. I thought 'Why not? It's cheap' and gave it a whirl.

It's not funny, the timing is shonk and jokes/obliviousness of Matt wear thin in short order. It lampoons clichés by throwing those exact clichés at you like a gaming equivalent of Epic Movie, admittedly that's a little harsh on the game, but it's still annoying to control and bar some early smirk raisers there's little to recommend .

Saints Row 2 made me laugh a once or twice as I went through it as a woman, (post-reconstructive surgery as your blokey gets blown up in the first one) the end credits in particular making me grin, that and the first and only line of the main character in the first Saints Row after 40 odd hours of quiet came out of left field and got a guffaw out of me.

Saints Row Funniest Moment
-Perhaps not so amusing out of context but it was a pleasant surprise.

Beautiful Katamari was a delicious slice of madness too, not hilarious, but quirky as all hell and going from football-sized to rolling up the galaxy to plug a black hole was full of odd, funny moments.

The Ghostbusters game had some decent dialogue too.

samadriel

The GTAIV comedy club stuff was awful, shit material in the service of a poor idea. Mo-capping the performances just sucks the life out of them, and the cutaways to CG audience members repeatedly slapping their knees and howling with canned merriment are not only off-putting, but seem brutally sarcastic, particularly during Gervais' set.  That poor idea is just a subset of the greater poor idea though, the whole going-out-with-mates setup.  It baffles me that Rockstar can have so much experience and ambition and money and yet in some profound ways just not get videogames.  But that's a whole other story

Brucie I found pretty funny in IV, until that late point where they decide they're going to emo up his story by saying that he was just sending you out on motiveless, random hits early in the game -- so he's not even a career criminal, he's just a psycho-killer using Niko as a proxy.  How tedious.

The talk radio in IV and San Andreas never particularly lit my fire, but KCHAT and VCPR in Vice City were easily the funniest things in the GTA series, wonderful stuff.

SavageHedgehog

The Exploder trailer in Vice City is great

samadriel

And the Maibatsu Thunder!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx2Ng1DoQZI

On the toll road of life, you have to pay to prove you can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYnFjbmr0ZA

Hobes

"its a me, mario.... your uncle" (or similar) from the second assassins creed made me genuinely gufaw. a real suprise.

Zetetic

Thus far, Bad Company 2's single-player campaign is a remarkable pastiche of the genre, and I'm assuming it's utterly deliberate.

Theres some funny slapstick in super nes Donkey Kong Country. Most especially the ending where diddy and dk twatt each other about the head!

Mister Six

Quote from: SavageHedgehog on December 24, 2010, 10:46:22 AM
The Exploder trailer in Vice City is great

Yes! Even now I try to work the phrase, 'I'll cry when I'm done killin',' into conversation. It's not very easy.

Slaaaaabs

Playing Yakuza 3 in the past week or so has provided a lot of laughs, the main storyline is played straight but a lot of the subquests and encounters you have running around the streets of Okinawa and Tokyo are hilarious. I think it helps that the game has superbly translated subtitles rather than the horrific dubbing job done on the original.

Consignia

Yakuza 2 is a far funnier game. There is a bit where you have to infiltrate a gang of people with Adult Baby fetishes, and beat them up with children's toys while wearing a only a nappy.

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: Consignia on December 24, 2010, 08:20:36 PM
Yakuza 2 is a far funnier game. There is a bit where you have to infiltrate a gang of people with Adult Baby fetishes, and beat them up with children's toys while wearing a only a nappy.

Hahaha, awesome. The random run-away-from-the-musclebound-transexual sequences are great in 3, especially the payoff. All very Takeshi Kitano.

I bought 2 off eBay to play before 3 came out, then I read that 3 has a big ol' recap at the start. I might have to give 2 a go after all.

Rolf Harris

Surprised no-one has mentioned Portal yet. The subtle and slightly dark humour in that game, for me, is some of the best use of humour in a game - no real gags or straight up jokes to speak of, just the general oddness of Glados.

Also quite a lot of the radio station dialogue in most of the GTAs, 3 and Vice City especially - although the dialogue between actual characters in the games' plotlines is rarely as funny as it thinks it is.

Mister Six

Quote from: Rolf Harris on December 29, 2010, 02:52:37 PM
Surprised no-one has mentioned Portal yet. The subtle and slightly dark humour in that game, for me, is some of the best use of humour in a game - no real gags or straight up jokes to speak of, just the general oddness of Glados.

Ha! Yeah, I was going to post about this two days ago after finally getting around to completing it, but forgot. Probably the funniest game since Psychonauts (and indeed, one of Psychonauts' writers, Erik Wolpaw, wrote GlaDOS's dialogue).

Have to disagree about the lack of straight-up gags though. GlaDOS has loads of great one-liners (slight spoilers follow):

Quote"Please be advised that a noticeable taste of blood is not part of any test protocol but is an unintended side effect of the Aperture Science Material Emancipation Grid, which may, in semi-rare cases, emancipate dental fillings, crowns, tooth enamel, and teeth."

Quote"Please note that we have added a consequence for failure. Any contact with the chamber floor will result in an 'unsatisfactory' mark on your official testing record, followed by death. Good luck!"

Quote"The Enrichment Center promises to always provide a safe testing environment. In dangerous testing environments, the Enrichment Center promises to always provide useful advice. For instance, the floor here will kill you. Try to avoid it."

Quote"The Enrichment Center is committed to the well being of all participants. Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all."

Quote"The Enrichment Center reminds you that the Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak."
"The Enrichment Center reminds you that the Companion Cube cannot speak. In the event that the Companion Cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice."
"If the Weighted Companion Cube could speak, and the Enrichment Center takes this opportunity to remind you that it cannot, it would tell you to go on without it because it would rather die in a fire than become a burden to YOU."

Quote"Didn't we have some fun though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye,' and you were like, 'No way,' Then I was all like 'We pretended we were going to murder you?' [sigh] That was great."

Quote[After burning the morality core] "[Garbled Sounds] You're kidding me. Did you just stuff that Aperture Science Thing We Don't Know What It Does into an Aperture Science Emergency Intelligence Incinerator? That has got to be the dumbest thing that whoah, whoah, whoah. [Laughs] [In a much lower voice] Good news, I figured out what that thing you just incinerated did. It was a morality core they installed after I flooded the enrichment center with a deadly neurotoxin to make me stop flooding the enrichment center with a deadly neurotoxin, so get comfortable while I warm up the neurotoxin emitters."

Quote"I'd just like to point out that you were given every opportunity to succeed. There was even going to be a party for you. A big party that all your friends were invited to. I invited your best friend the Companion Cube. Of course, he couldn't come because you murdered him. All your other friends couldn't come either because you don't have any other friends. Because of how unlikeable you are. It says so here in your personnel file: Unlikeable. Liked by no one. A bitter, unlikeable loner whose passing shall not be mourned. 'Shall not be mourned.' That's exactly what it says. Very formal. Very official. It also says you were adopted. So that's funny, too."

Quote"Speaking of curiosity, you're curious about what happens after you die, right? Guess what? I know! You're going to find out first-hand before I can finish telling you, though, so I won't bother. I'll give you a hint: you're going to want to pack as much living as you possibly can into the next couple of minutes."

The end credits have to be my favourite things ever, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ljFaKRTrI