Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:08:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Actors oo aint good

Started by The Duck Man, October 25, 2010, 10:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

P H Moriarty as Gurney Halleck in the TV adaptation of Frank Herbert's Dune is the worst performance by any actor I've yet to see.[nb]And I've seen The Room, and Troll 2[/nb]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtCedI-q9vU

uglybob1986

Quote from: NoSleep on October 29, 2010, 05:08:28 PM
P H Moriarty as Gurney Halleck in the TV adaptation of Frank Herbert's Dune is the worst performance by any actor I've yet to see.[nb]And I've seen The Room, and Troll 2[/nb]

Fuck me, that scene was handled better in the David Lynch version, and both Stewart and MacLachlan were badly miscast

CaledonianGonzo

Jake Thingray

Quote from: Serge on October 29, 2010, 12:29:44 AM
Ignatius_S has already beaten me to mentioning 'The Beiderbecke Affair' (plus its sequels), and I have a soft spot for 'Only When I Laugh', in which he played a variation on Terry Collier, to be sure. I don't think he's a bad actor, but he has appeared in some bad stuff, such as the justly forgotten sitcom 'Room At The Bottom', or the ill-advised TV version of Andy Capp. I didn't see 'Shipman', but I remember him being excellent as Harold Wilson in a play a few years back. And my niece loves 'Grandpa In My Pocket'.

I think the phrase I'm looking for is, 'wat'.

A pointless anecdote. The chum of mine who believes that dear sweet Stephen Fry is on a downward spiral that will end in suicide, and loathes the 'National Treasure' stuff that now accompanies Stephen, is regularly and deliberately annoyed by my going on about the twee animation POCOYO, as a further example of same. Afterwards, I started burbling on about GRANDPA IN MY POCKET, but he didn't realise I'd changed topic and at the mention of Bolam's name, groaned "Oh no, he's not in this as well, is he? Does he go 'Why aye, Pocoyo!'?"

Barberism

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on October 29, 2010, 05:49:54 PM

Hey kids. This is the new star. He will be cast in EVERYTHING. Or if he's not available... SHITTY LA BOOSH!!!!

Jake Thingray

Quote from: Jake Thingray on October 26, 2010, 06:28:50 PM
Not only do none of the current posh British gels interest me in their acting, frankly I don't even fancy any of them. In future decades, they'll be as forgotten as Samantha Eggar, Sarah Miles, Lesley-Anne Down or Rachel Ward are now.

I was reminded of this a couple of hours ago, going through the dreadful papers and an article in the Heil On Sunday fawning over Hayley Attwell, whoever she may be. It was almost word for word -- "our British actress poised to conquer Tinsel Town" -- like Greta Scacchi's interviews from a quarter of a century ago. Same old, same old.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Serge on October 29, 2010, 04:58:16 PM
Allegedly, Alan Plater said that Trevor Chaplin in the 'Beiderbecke's had those initials for a reason...
I rather like that – no doubt Bolam would have approved – and will take it as stone cold fact.

Quote from: NoSleep on October 29, 2010, 05:08:28 PM
P H Moriarty as Gurney Halleck in the TV adaptation of Frank Herbert's Dune is the worst performance by any actor I've yet to see.[nb]And I've seen The Room, and Troll 2[/nb]...
Hee, I was talking to someone about how rancid he was in that at the weekend. Off the top of my head, I'm hard pushed to think of worse acting that I've seen – I think it was compounded that everyone else is so much better than him.

However, from what I remember, his performance in Children of Dune was considerably better – at the very least, I wasn't in physical pain when he appeared on screen.

NoSleep

Quote from: Ignatius_S on November 02, 2010, 01:10:44 PM
However, from what I remember, his performance in Children of Dune was considerably better – at the very least, I wasn't in physical pain when he appeared on screen.

The pain didn't stop for me. His "considerably better" was still far worse than anything else I've seen; I remember one scene that he shares with Alice Krige where the contrast in abilities were stark. They seemed to have limited damage by cutting Gurney Halleck, a key character in the books, to the minimum possible onscreen.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: NoSleep on November 02, 2010, 01:42:15 PM
The pain didn't stop for me. His "considerably better" was still far worse than anything else I've seen; I remember one scene that he shares with Alice Krige where the contrast in abilities were stark. They seemed to have limited damage by cutting Gurney Halleck, a key character in the books, to the minimum possible onscreen.
It's a while since I saw both, but from what I remember, because there was some improvement in his acting, less screentime (as you say) and I had such low expectations, his performance was markedly better in the second one. Mind you, a sock puppet with a falsetto voice would have been an improvement.

To this day, I can't understand why he was cast. In all honesty, I have seen worse acting, but generally these examples would be like an extra who is obviously having trouble remembering their five lines in their one scene and is just focussing on what they're meant to be saying with no effort into actual acting in low budget B-movies - alternatively, various TV movies where everything is just bad. With something like Dune, this casting was so off-kilter and our of place, it